TURKEY AMMO GOING UP $$$

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
CamoMan4025
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: TURKEY AMMO GOING UP $$$

Post by CamoMan4025 »

Here's a thought............

I BUY and SHOOT what shell I want and everybody else BUY and SHOOT what shell they want. I don't pay for yours and you don't pay for mine :thumbleft:
"God, Guts & High Explosives"
vaturkey
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by vaturkey »

CamoMan4025 wrote:Here's a thought............

I BUY and SHOOT what shell I want and everybody else BUY and SHOOT what shell they want. I don't pay for yours and you don't pay for mine :thumbleft:

Camoman

If I ever get on your pro staff will I get Free Shells ? :struttin:
The SPURSUADER

Post by The SPURSUADER »

pedro wrote:
The SPURSUADER wrote:
Frankinthelaurels wrote:I'll never pay $35 dollars for 5 shells to harvest any animal...$7.00 a shot to kill a turkey!!!! I'll just be a little patient and wait til he crosses the 40 yard line and kill with the cheapest lead shell I can buy....ridiculous !!
:thumbup: :thumbup: My thoughts exactly!!!! And if that wont Do it a well placed Arrow and Braodhead will!!!! Some people just have more money then they have sense :toothy7: but to each their own....I take my junk Mossberg and Cheap Turkey Loads and have a great time tagging out Year after year after year....... :thumbup:
So you save a few bucks by loading up on standard shells, and say how crazy it is spending money on shells. I bet that in the end the few bucks save have been spent on some other not needed things. Complain about the cost of primeum ammo but go and spend that whole three dollars saved on a beer or smokes or lures or fill in the blank. We all have our vices
LOL Yes....Yes we do and I don't care what you guys spend your Money on lol...It's not mine!! Some people enjoy loading their own shells as a hobby or Bragging rights if you will...Hell I have spent hard earned Money watching grown men run up and down a field fighting over a piece of Pig Skin when I couldn't even keep up with what was going on lol I would have understood the game a whole lot better from the comfort of my home but It's something I like to do from time to time....To be honest when I first started reading all the TSS loads this and that my first thought was Dang? Can't these people even call a stinking Gobbler to their Set-up???? But then I realized that unlike myself who tries to see how close I can fool a Gobbler into my set-up there's others who want to see how far they can take a shot at 1...I wont say Kill because I'm sure not all the Gobblers shot at with the TSS loads are recovered :toothy7: and For the Record...I don't drink...Don't Smoke and catch most of my own bait but every now and then I will throw a yard Sale Lure I got a deal on :thumbup:
SPURSUADER Custom Calls...Call'em in and Carry'em out!!
CamoMan4025
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by CamoMan4025 »

vaturkey wrote:
CamoMan4025 wrote:Here's a thought............

Camoman

If I ever get on your pro staff will I get Free Shells ? :struttin:
Absolutely! And a 2015 Ford F-250!
Johndoe
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Johndoe »

For the record I drink, I smoke(not cigarettes), and chase women of loose morals and load my own. I have not missed a bird at any range since I started loading my own. The point is those who load any loads, test and shoot till they are pleased with their efforts. In all my time I have taken 3 shots over 40. All have ended in a dead (1 shot) bird. Polls have shown that those who shoot as much as we do miss less.
It's a Shame some will state their preference for "Close" shots on a turkey with a gun yet loft and arrow at a fine buck with much less regard for that animal.
I will now apologize to all members for my post.
I can only Take so much hipocrisy.

There are no numbers on any of my clocks below 8. Then all of a sudden, 2 days before turkey season they appear. Then right after the season they disappear.
What's up with that
GOLD HUNTER
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GOLD HUNTER »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
LET'S GO TROUT FISHING
hawglips
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by hawglips »

The SPURSUADER wrote:LOL Yes....Yes we do and I don't care what you guys spend your Money on lol...It's not mine!! Some people enjoy loading their own shells as a hobby or Bragging rights if you will...Hell I have spent hard earned Money watching grown men run up and down a field fighting over a piece of Pig Skin when I couldn't even keep up with what was going on lol I would have understood the game a whole lot better from the comfort of my home but It's something I like to do from time to time....To be honest when I first started reading all the TSS loads this and that my first thought was Dang? Can't these people even call a stinking Gobbler to their Set-up????
:scratch:
Surely someone who decoys them in instead of calling them in wouldn't be making a post like this insinuating that someone else can't call one up?

:lol:
The SPURSUADER wrote:But then I realized that unlike myself who tries to see how close I can fool a Gobbler into my set-up there's others who want to see how far they can take a shot at 1...I wont say Kill because I'm sure not all the Gobblers shot at with the TSS loads are recovered :toothy7: and For the Record...I don't drink...Don't Smoke and catch most of my own bait but every now and then I will throw a yard Sale Lure I got a deal on :thumbup:
Seriously?

Just a friendly suggestion - know something about what you're posting before hitting the "submit" button.
JohnDoe wrote:I can only Take so much hipocrisy.
Exactly.
Last edited by hawglips on August 9th, 2013, 8:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
Shooter
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Shooter »

People that shoot off the shelf Wal-mart shells, and has never fired a TSS load at a turkey has no Freaking clue whatsoever, nor the meaning of Lethality!!!
Sure, you can kill a turkey at 20yds with dove loads,... sometimes yes, and sometimes not!!!
I've been loading turkey shells for more than 35 years, and I'm always lookin for a better mouse trap. Started with a 2 3/4", 12ga, went to 3", then to the 10ga. When Hevishot came out, started using it, then Win HD. Found out about TSS in 08, and started trying to work up a load that was safe and performed. My first shot at a live turkey with it changed everything. It is in a league by itself. Since then, I have gradually went back down with the guns. Now I am shooting a 20ga with more lethality than I had with the 10.
I usually average around 10 Toms a year between several states, so I've seen how a wide variety of turkey shells performs. So, whoever it was that said, he kills just as many turkeys, as a hunter with the expensive shells does,... is so full of CRAP, it is running out of his mouth!!!
It is NOT physically possible!!!
Yep, most kills this past season were under 30yds,.....LOL, the one in NY was Too Dam close!!!
It was pretty obvious, that he had not been called to before,...LOL.
But, it is very nice to know, if one ain't coming no closer than 50, you can still smoke his azz with the GOOD stuff!!!
Heck, the way I value my turkey hunts,.... I would gladly pay $35 a shell for a positive hunting memory, instead of remembering,... The one that got away!!!
Shooter
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Shooter »

GobbleNut wrote:
Gobbler wrote:
GobbleNut wrote:I agree. I use the most expensive shell I can get when I go hunting.
.....I also look for the gas station with the highest gas prices, because their gas will make sure I will be able to get to where I am hunting better than the cheaper gas. When I stop to get something to eat, I look for the most expensive place in town because their food will make me hunt better. When I fly to hunt somewhere, I always shop for the most expensive flight I can find because I know that the plane with the most expensive flight cost will get me to where I am going the best with the least chance of crashing. If I have to pay to hunt somewhere, I always look for the place that charges the most for their hunt, because I know that the hunting will be better on that land. ....And if I shoot a gobbler at 30 yards, I want to be sure I blow his head off rather than just put thirty (or so) shot in his head and neck. He just won't be dead enough for me with only thirty (or so)....

:thumbup: :toothy7: :lol: :thumbup: :toothy7: :lol:
YOU :stir:

Me???... :toothy7: :toothy7: :toothy7:
Dang it Jim, you causin trouble again????LOL
Tell you what, I'll send you some of these 2 1/2oz TSS "Brush Busters" Diablo calls them.
Maybe you can try them and see if they will reach out to Alabama, and get you one of those Big Double Bearded Bad boys,....LOL!!!
Gobbler
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Gobbler »

Any free samples of TSS loads should be mailed to Gobbler Nation for field testing under real hunting conditions. :mrgreen: :thumbup:
drenalinld
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by drenalinld »

Hunting with 28 gauges and 410's you think the goal is to see how far they can harvest a bird??
GobbleNut

Post by GobbleNut »

Shooter wrote:Dang it Jim, you causin trouble again????LOL
Tell you what, I'll send you some of these 2 1/2oz TSS "Brush Busters" Diablo calls them.
Maybe you can try them and see if they will reach out to Alabama, and get you one of those Big Double Bearded Bad boys,....LOL!!!
Alrightee then, Tommy! Get those suckers on the way out here! ....I think I will start stirring the pot around here more often! :D :D
Jim
CamoMan4025
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by CamoMan4025 »

Gobbler wrote:Any free samples of TSS loads should be mailed to Gobbler Nation for field testing under real hunting conditions. :mrgreen: :thumbup:
I 100% agree with Doug. In the GN rule book, page 435, paragraph 3, subsection A, states: By no means can any member solicit, sell, promote or give any "handloaded" ammo to anyone other that the Administrator of the aforementioned forum or it's designated Moderator/s without first having such ammo approved by field testing by the mentioned above.

Not that I would throw the rule book out to anyone :dontknow: I would just hate to see someone get banned for a VIOLATION :o
GOLD HUNTER
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GOLD HUNTER »

:lol: well we do get 3 X X X b4 we get banned from here ......... am I right on that ? :violent1: :violent1: :violent1: !!!
LET'S GO TROUT FISHING
Shooter
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Shooter »

Gobbler wrote:Any free samples of TSS loads should be mailed to Gobbler Nation for field testing under real hunting conditions. :mrgreen: :thumbup:

Now Doug, you should already know that those dinky dark winged turkeys in FL don't require a nasty TSS load. You guys can get by just fine shootin Nitros and dove loads,...LOL!!
GOLD HUNTER
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GOLD HUNTER »

:roll: That's right !!............. JAKES CAN BE KILLED WITH WAL-MART LOADS :lol:
LET'S GO TROUT FISHING
slickyboyboo
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

TURKEY AMMO GOING UP $$$

Post by slickyboyboo »

hawglips wrote:
The SPURSUADER wrote:LOL Yes....Yes we do and I don't care what you guys spend your Money on lol...It's not mine!! Some people enjoy loading their own shells as a hobby or Bragging rights if you will...Hell I have spent hard earned Money watching grown men run up and down a field fighting over a piece of Pig Skin when I couldn't even keep up with what was going on lol I would have understood the game a whole lot better from the comfort of my home but It's something I like to do from time to time....To be honest when I first started reading all the TSS loads this and that my first thought was Dang? Can't these people even call a stinking Gobbler to their Set-up????
:scratch:
Surely someone who decoys them in instead of calling them in wouldn't be making a post like this insinuating that someone else can't call one up?

:lol:
The SPURSUADER wrote:But then I realized that unlike myself who tries to see how close I can fool a Gobbler into my set-up there's others who want to see how far they can take a shot at 1...I wont say Kill because I'm sure not all the Gobblers shot at with the TSS loads are recovered :toothy7: and For the Record...I don't drink...Don't Smoke and catch most of my own bait but every now and then I will throw a yard Sale Lure I got a deal on :thumbup:
Seriously?

Just a friendly suggestion - know something about what you're posting before hitting the "submit" button.
JohnDoe wrote:I can only Take so much hipocrisy.
Exactly.
Shooter wrote:People that shoot off the shelf Wal-mart shells, and has never fired a TSS load at a turkey has no Freaking clue whatsoever, nor the meaning of Lethality!!!
Sure, you can kill a turkey at 20yds with dove loads,... sometimes yes, and sometimes not!!!
I've been loading turkey shells for more than 35 years, and I'm always lookin for a better mouse trap. Started with a 2 3/4", 12ga, went to 3", then to the 10ga. When Hevishot came out, started using it, then Win HD. Found out about TSS in 08, and started trying to work up a load that was safe and performed. My first shot at a live turkey with it changed everything. It is in a league by itself. Since then, I have gradually went back down with the guns. Now I am shooting a 20ga with more lethality than I had with the 10.
I usually average around 10 Toms a year between several states, so I've seen how a wide variety of turkey shells performs. So, whoever it was that said, he kills just as many turkeys, as a hunter with the expensive shells does,... is so full of CRAP, it is running out of his mouth!!!
Yep, most kills this past season were under 30yds,.....LOL, the one in NY was Too Dam close!!!
It was pretty obvious, that he had not been called to before,...LOL.
But, it is very nice to know, if one ain't coming no closer than 50, you can still smoke his azz with the GOOD stuff!!!
Heck, the way I value my turkey hunts,.... I would gladly pay $35 a shell for a positive hunting memory, instead of remembering,... The one that got away!!!
I have to agree with Hal and Tommy. It's never about bragging rights, it's knowing that in a clutch situation or any situation for that matter, your equipment will deliver, and you have the best chance of walking out with a bird over your shoulder.
Raising my carbon footprint, one bag of charcoal at a time!
Gobbler
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Gobbler »

I read the whole ammo going up post again.

I really can't find anything that bad to get upset about. It looked like a good natured old fashion make fun of each other with a pinch of jab talk about expensive shells. Of course the call them in close jab was a low blow spurswader but it made me laugh. :mrgreen: I new it would get answered. :violent1: It looked like you and Tomgirl were OK.

I like what Hal said in a nut shell...we talk hunting, we have opinions, we argue and move on. No one holds grudges. If folks don't see that going on here. Then I apologize they wasted their time here.

This site is not for everyone!

It is an acquired experience to be a member here. It takes time to fully understand the complexities of the personalities of this site. Are we know it all turkey hunters??? YES!! I have never met a veteran Turkey hunter that is NOT!!
I don't care how big this site gets in all honesty. I like the people on here but as in anything in life some folks get it and some folks don't. :mrgreen:
vaturkey
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by vaturkey »

Gobbler wrote:I read the whole ammo going up post again.

I really can't find anything that bad to get upset about. It looked like a good natured old fashion make fun of each other with a pinch of jab talk about expensive shells. Of course the call them in close jab was a low blow spurswader but it made me laugh. :mrgreen: I new it would get answered. :violent1: It looked like you and Tomgirl were OK.

I like what Hal said in a nut shell...we talk hunting, we have opinions, we argue and move on. No one holds grudges. If folks don't see that going on here. Then I apologize they wasted their time here.

This site is not for everyone!

It is an acquired experience to be a member here. It takes time to fully understand the complexities of the personalities of this site. Are we know it all turkey hunters??? YES!! I have never met a veteran Turkey hunter that is NOT!!
I don't care how big this site gets in all honesty. I like the people on here but as in anything in life some folks get it and some folks don't. :mrgreen:
I hate to see any members leave. I really like this site. I've been called a Big Fat Prick, Stan Potts, etc but I just laugh and go look at all my beards & spurs. I know im Big & Im fat but I aint a Prick. And I know for sure that Im better lookin than Stan Potts. I aint killed as many big bucks as he has but gobblers ,im not so sure. Call me what you want but Im the one who will be shootin the Head Rush Loads this fall ! :thumbup:

vaturkey :struttin:
milkman

Post by milkman »

I also reread the whole thread just out of curiosity. It was a fun thread between people who obviously have a history with one another. It seemed to me good lighthearted fun. Even tomgirl seemed to be joining in with her diamond shot comment. Spursuader came along and jumped in with the more money than sense comment and then gets his feelings hurt when people respond. These forums to me are like a big campfire. Every campfire I've sat around had a lot of ribbing,a lot of opinions,a lot of disagreements and even some arguments but in the end it was over once the fire was put out. Those that can't let it go and move on normally weed themselves out.
Shooter
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Shooter »

I'm really not sure what the deal is with Spursuader. He just seems to have the natural ability to rub people the wrong way.
We had some jabs in the past, and I was hoping he got the hints to chill out and not make comments to piss people off. I even tried to cover for him once or twice.
He then seemed better for a week or so, and then he went off about the TSS, and made some strong and insulting comments of some fantastic turkey hunters.
THAT was totally uncalled for!!! Personally, I think he gets off on upsetting people. Heck, he practically confessed to it once.
The high dollar shell shooters try to explain a little why we use them, and he gets his feelings hurt.
Our comments were basically respectful, and mild, so I really just don't see what the big deal is anyway.
Ticeman

Post by Ticeman »

geesh, just read this, that was 18 mins of my life I won't get back. I just bought that 50 BMG and found myself complaining to a buddy about the price of shells, he cuts me off..."would you complain about the price of gas if you had a Ferrari?" point made. shoot whatever ya want and just don't tell anybody, is it that complicated? it's like riding a moped or chasing chubbies...it's ok to do it, just don't tell anyone! :dontknow:
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

drenalinld wrote:Hunting with 28 gauges and 410's you think the goal is to see how far they can harvest a bird??
I dunno what happened, but I had posted my thoughts and now the aint showing. hmmm, my new Black berry isnt working well? user density?

anyhoo

some shoot what they find on the shelf and so on.

others are like the guys who buy bigger carburetors, headers, gears to make their car perform better. some eat sleep 1/4 mile, some drive in circles..

some like ladies with great big hooters, myself, nothing more than a mouthful, since its a waste.
Last edited by Hoobilly on August 11th, 2013, 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
guesswho
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by guesswho »

Shooter wrote:I usually average around 10 Toms a year between several states, so I've seen how a wide variety of turkey shells performs. So, whoever it was that said, he kills just as many turkeys, as a hunter with the expensive shells does,... is so full of CRAP, it is running out of his mouth!!!
Ok, Y'all know I don't care what people shoot. None of my business, plus who ever is doing the shooting doesn't care what I think anyway.

I didn't read all of this thread and have no idea where it got sideways. This statement just caught my eye and has me confused, again. Shooter, I'm not trying to call anyone out and respect you as a hunter and person. I just need someone to help me understand the above statement. How is it not physically possible for a lead shooter to kill as many turkeys as a TSS or HTL shooter? Did I miss something by not reading all the replies? Your answer may convince me to start using more expensive shells. I'm all for killing more turkey birds. :D
Double Naught Spy!
RCD's Owner----------------Badonka Deke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff-------------Lighter Than HTL Shooter
The Storm Whistle Prostaff
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey Calls Prostaff
Shooter
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Shooter »

Sorry Ronnie, for not giving details. I'll try and give you a few situations.
Under exact side by side circumstances you may have to shoot through some brush that you don't see before you shoot. TSS has so much more penetration, it usually will still be lethal, even going through small limbs and stuff.
Lethal distance of course is almost doubled, but lets not go any farther with that.
The patterns with CP Lead vs TSS,... The hard Tungsten shot has the ability to have the same size pattern at 40yds, than Lead at 25yds.
The biggest thing that comes to mind with me is,... Now you have to realize I shot CP lead handloads for 25 years or so, out of 12s and 10s. They were quite more potent than factory too.
I had so many turkeys shot between 30 and 50 yds roll over and start flopping, then get to thier feet and run off. It was automatic for me to just jump up and run and grab them before they had to chance to run. Since I switched to TSS, you can just sit there after the shot and enjoy the moment of the hunt, no matter how far he is, at a reasonable range. I can not remember one bird in the last 4 years that moved more than a few feet after the shot.
You are just gonna have to shoot a turkey with it yourself, it will blow your mind!!!
I can't really explain it, you will just have to experience yourself. It is just a different kind of kill.
I know that sounds stupid, but thats the only way I can think to put it,...LOL.
PLUS, you have to remember, TSS is close to twice the density of lead and usually smaller diameter, which means it does not spill off speed as rapidly as lead.
I'm sure I'm leaving out a bunch of other comparisons, so I hope that Hal, Wes, John, Brian, Gil, Ronny, and some others Chime in with thier views also.
You are just gonna have to try some,... I promise, it will make a believer out of you too.
Hope this answers some of your questions.

Return to “Gobbler Talk”