TURKEY AMMO GOING UP $$$

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
SCtrkyhntr

Re: TURKEY AMMO GOING UP $$$

Post by SCtrkyhntr »

If the price of a shotgun shell crosses your mind, even once, while you are turkey hunting then honestly I feel sorry for you.
GOLD HUNTER
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GOLD HUNTER »

yep and I know some that hate the high $$$ ammo .

8-) I like the best ammo I can get....... sooo I just makeum.
LET'S GO TROUT FISHING
3toe

Post by 3toe »

I think the point being made is just because you can pay $7-$10 and it is a small amount of the overall cost of turkey hunting, doesn't mean it's right and you should have too. I mean really, what is the manufacturer cost per shell on a box of mag blends? $2-$3? And they sell them for $40? But we buy them because they are awesome and "its a small cost of hunting" and "thats cheap per bird!". Before I get bashed, just know that I am loading TSS presently so I am paying a higher price too, but for custom loads I expect too. But off the shelf ammo, I think it's criminal what they are getting for a box of HTL.
Johndoe
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Johndoe »

Gobbler wrote:I hope John Doe doesn't read this ...He'll open up a can of Whip A$$. :lol:
Doug

None of them said they can't afford to buy. They said they will(choose) not spend that much. Big difference. And again I disagree. Its still the smallest investment we make to kill turkeys. Even Thermacell cost more than shells. Thermacell is $20 and a years worth of refills can be over $40. I think it foolish but am calling no one a fool. :joker:

John (MR.) Doe

There are no numbers on any of my clocks below 8. Then all of a sudden, 2 days before turkey season they appear. Then right after the season they disappear.
What's up with that
Stinky J Picklestein
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Stinky J Picklestein »

Turkey calls are actually my cheapest investment...because like underwear, I usually can get two or maybe three uses out of each. ;)
Gobbler
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Gobbler »

I don't care what the shells cost. I'm buying them.

Although I was hunting last year in fairly close proximity to a friend on an out of state hunt. He had loaded up on Heavy 13s to the tune of 10 dollars a shell. Well I was sitting against a tree and I hear BANG...BANG...BANG... I started to chuckle. 5 minutes later I hear BANG...BANG...Now I'm rolling on the ground laughing. It ruined my hunt so I walked back to the car with my Brother and we knew 50.00 was just spent this evening with no results. :mrgreen: A case of premature Pullation of the trigger in a hunting situation. :thumbup:
milkman

Post by milkman »

About 5 years ago I came across a cotton mouth that was in a rather bad mood and decided he wanted a stand off. Well,I shot him. When I shucked the shell and that Nitro popped out it made me sick. That was an expensive snake. I don't shoot Nitro anymore but I do shoot HTL shells and will continue to do so.
vaturkey
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by vaturkey »

Gobbler wrote:I don't care what the shells cost. I'm buying them.

Although I was hunting last year in fairly close proximity to a friend on an out of state hunt. He had loaded up on Heavy 13s to the tune of 10 dollars a shell. Well I was sitting against a tree and I hear BANG...BANG...BANG... I started to chuckle. 5 minutes later I hear BANG...BANG...Now I'm rolling on the ground laughing. It ruined my hunt so I walked back to the car with my Brother and we knew 50.00 was just spent this evening with no results. :mrgreen: A case of premature Pullation of the trigger in a hunting situation. :thumbup:

That's why I like an auto !! BOOM BOOM BOOM :thumbup:
barto

Post by barto »

The first time I walked to the pattern board and there was 463 in the 10 I sure wasn't thinking about cost!!
Johndoe
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Johndoe »

I hunted with Basser69 last year and gave him a #4TSS in case he saw a yote. He saw a big rattlesnake and didnt kill him cause TSS turkey loads were so expensive. I told him use the yote load as it was less expensive. He didnt think of it and will be lookin over his shoulder next year.
Carry other shells for snakes and yotes and stuff. It is well worth it. :-)

There are no numbers on any of my clocks below 8. Then all of a sudden, 2 days before turkey season they appear. Then right after the season they disappear.
What's up with that
3toe

Post by 3toe »

Johndoe wrote:I hunted with Basser69 last year and gave him a #4TSS in case he saw a yote. He saw a big rattlesnake and didnt kill him cause TSS turkey loads were so expensive. I told him use the yote load as it was less expensive. He didnt think of it and will be lookin over his shoulder next year.
Carry other shells for snakes and yotes and stuff. It is well worth it. :-)

You know basser is cheap, not to mention a few cards short of a full deck. He collects belly button lint to make t-shirts. :D
Johndoe
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Johndoe »

And he is short too.:-) I would watch out where he took me hunting if I were you.

What's up with that
hawglips
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by hawglips »

Gobbler wrote:I don't care what the shells cost. I'm buying them.
Turkey season is way too short to worry about a few dollars, after all that expense and effort and waiting for months to get to the moment of truth.
GobbleNut

Post by GobbleNut »

I agree. I use the most expensive shell I can get when I go hunting.
.....I also look for the gas station with the highest gas prices, because their gas will make sure I will be able to get to where I am hunting better than the cheaper gas. When I stop to get something to eat, I look for the most expensive place in town because their food will make me hunt better. When I fly to hunt somewhere, I always shop for the most expensive flight I can find because I know that the plane with the most expensive flight cost will get me to where I am going the best with the least chance of crashing. If I have to pay to hunt somewhere, I always look for the place that charges the most for their hunt, because I know that the hunting will be better on that land. ....And if I shoot a gobbler at 30 yards, I want to be sure I blow his head off rather than just put thirty (or so) shot in his head and neck. He just won't be dead enough for me with only thirty (or so)....

:thumbup: :toothy7: :lol: :thumbup: :toothy7: :lol:
tomgirl

Post by tomgirl »

:lol: :lol: :lol: Sounds like you guys would buy diamond encrusted shells if they sold them ,just to see the sparkle in the ole gobblers eyes when you shot at him, :lol: :lol: :lol: :D
I just use what works the best in my gun. :thumbup:
hawglips
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by hawglips »

tomgirl wrote:I just use what works the best in my gun. :thumbup:
What shell and gun are you using?
GobbleNut

Post by GobbleNut »

tomgirl wrote::lol: :lol: :lol: Sounds like you guys would buy diamond encrusted shells if they sold them ,just to see the sparkle in the ole gobblers eyes when you shot at him, :lol: :lol: :lol: :D
I just use what works the best in my gun. :thumbup:
Hmmm,...something to think about! If we load 'em up with diamonds in place of shot, we can probably get another ten yards out of 'em. They'll only cost $3,000 a round,...but hey, we'll have 550 in the ten at forty! Well worth it!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Gobbler
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Gobbler »

GobbleNut wrote:I agree. I use the most expensive shell I can get when I go hunting.
.....I also look for the gas station with the highest gas prices, because their gas will make sure I will be able to get to where I am hunting better than the cheaper gas. When I stop to get something to eat, I look for the most expensive place in town because their food will make me hunt better. When I fly to hunt somewhere, I always shop for the most expensive flight I can find because I know that the plane with the most expensive flight cost will get me to where I am going the best with the least chance of crashing. If I have to pay to hunt somewhere, I always look for the place that charges the most for their hunt, because I know that the hunting will be better on that land. ....And if I shoot a gobbler at 30 yards, I want to be sure I blow his head off rather than just put thirty (or so) shot in his head and neck. He just won't be dead enough for me with only thirty (or so)....

YOU :stir:
GobbleNut

Post by GobbleNut »

Gobbler wrote:
GobbleNut wrote:I agree. I use the most expensive shell I can get when I go hunting.

YOU :stir:

Me???... :toothy7: :toothy7: :toothy7:
Johndoe
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Johndoe »

And Doug was worried a about me:-)

What's up with that
Gobbler
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Gobbler »

No I wasn't. your our go to guy for pot stirring. You even have your own smiley thing. :lol: :lol: :lol: . :stir: :stir: :stir:
slickyboyboo
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by slickyboyboo »

drum817 wrote:I've been thinking about just switching back to Nitros!
Tim, did you ever get a chance to get into the loading aspect of things, and work on a load?
Raising my carbon footprint, one bag of charcoal at a time!
tomgirl

Post by tomgirl »

Hawglips, I have a remingto 870 express super mag. I use Remington nitro turkey load. I know its not everyones choice of gun,but I like it and I guess that's what counts :D
Gobblenut ,The diamonds would be a more welcome sight rolling across your dinner plate when you realize you didn't get all the shot out of the breast meat, :lol: :lol: :lol:
The SPURSUADER

Post by The SPURSUADER »

Frankinthelaurels wrote:I'll never pay $35 dollars for 5 shells to harvest any animal...$7.00 a shot to kill a turkey!!!! I'll just be a little patient and wait til he crosses the 40 yard line and kill with the cheapest lead shell I can buy....ridiculous !!
:thumbup: :thumbup: My thoughts exactly!!!! And if that wont Do it a well placed Arrow and Braodhead will!!!! Some people just have more money then they have sense :toothy7: but to each their own....I take my junk Mossberg and Cheap Turkey Loads and have a great time tagging out Year after year after year....... :thumbup:
SPURSUADER Custom Calls...Call'em in and Carry'em out!!
pedro
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by pedro »

The SPURSUADER wrote:
Frankinthelaurels wrote:I'll never pay $35 dollars for 5 shells to harvest any animal...$7.00 a shot to kill a turkey!!!! I'll just be a little patient and wait til he crosses the 40 yard line and kill with the cheapest lead shell I can buy....ridiculous !!
:thumbup: :thumbup: My thoughts exactly!!!! And if that wont Do it a well placed Arrow and Braodhead will!!!! Some people just have more money then they have sense :toothy7: but to each their own....I take my junk Mossberg and Cheap Turkey Loads and have a great time tagging out Year after year after year....... :thumbup:
So you save a few bucks by loading up on standard shells, and say how crazy it is spending money on shells. I bet that in the end the few bucks save have been spent on some other not needed things. Complain about the cost of primeum ammo but go and spend that whole three dollars saved on a beer or smokes or lures or fill in the blank. We all have our vices

Return to “Gobbler Talk”