TURKEY AMMO GOING UP $$$

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
GOLD HUNTER
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

TURKEY AMMO GOING UP $$$

Post by GOLD HUNTER »

I was looking around the web @ basspro and others and WOW :shock: Hevi and Magnum-Blend ammo has gone up BIG TIME !!!

3" is about $29.99 and 3.5 is $32.99 and magnum-blend 3.5 is 34.99 a box @ gandermoutain and its not looking like its going to come down.

http://www.basspro.com/HEVIShot-Magnum- ... /10211133/

http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/p ... rchID=4006
LET'S GO TROUT FISHING
Stinky J Picklestein
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: TURKEY AMMO GOING UP $$$

Post by Stinky J Picklestein »

Indeed. :(
Frankinthelaurels

Post by Frankinthelaurels »

I'll never pay $35 dollars for 5 shells to harvest any animal...$7.00 a shot to kill a turkey!!!! I'll just be a little patient and wait til he crosses the 40 yard line and kill with the cheapest lead shell I can buy....ridiculous !!
Gobbler
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Gobbler »

Pretty soon we will have to buy our turkey loads from the hand loaders. :mrgreen: Where we can get a deal. :mrgreen:
drum817

Post by drum817 »

I've been thinking about just switching back to Nitros!
FREEDOM AIN'T FREE !!!
pedro
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by pedro »

i will never buy anymore factory turkey ammo. with the option of loading your own, i see no reason to rely on manufactures for your favorite load.
Stinky J Picklestein
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Stinky J Picklestein »

By the time I burn through my stockpile, they will be $100 per box anyhow...in the year 2040. ;)
Grumpy
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Grumpy »

A good 3 in. load of 6 shot lead will do the trick every time, anyone shooting over 40 yards, IMO, is just pushing their luck and asking for a wounded runner.
I was not his father but he was my son,,MAK IV, 10-15-1993 - 4-22-2007
"Rest in Peace my Little Buddy"
hawglips
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by hawglips »

Frankinthelaurels wrote:I'll never pay $35 dollars for 5 shells to harvest any animal...$7.00 a shot to kill a turkey!!!! I'll just be a little patient and wait til he crosses the 40 yard line and kill with the cheapest lead shell I can buy....ridiculous !!
Man! If all you pay is $7 per animal harvested, that's dang cheap!

I hunted 6 states for turkeys in the last year, and spent $614 for licenses, of which I filled 10 tags. That's $61.40 per bird (and it was that cheap only because I own lifetime licenses in two of them, which aren't amortized into my figures). Then I spent heaven knows how much on gas -- I figure about $685 for gas, or $98 for each of the 7 birds I drove to hunt. And then the birds I flew to hunt cost me another $700 (3 tags filled), or $233 a piece. Not to mention the $2000 spent on leases, on which only 3 birds were killed, or $667 per bird. And even the food and drink I consumed while on these hunts come to approx $12 per bird.

Licenses: $61.40 per bird
Gas: $98 per bird
Leases: $667 per bird
Airfare and related: $233 per bird
Food and drink: $12 per bird
shells: $7 per bird

And all that even though 4 of the 10 birds were killed on public land. And that's not counting the calls, camo, and other equipment I bought, as well as the guns I hunted with. If I included all that in there, that's who knows how much more per bird!

And of all the stuff I hunt with, the shells are by far the best investment, in terms of performance boost per dollar spent.
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

hawglips wrote:
Frankinthelaurels wrote:I'll never pay $35 dollars for 5 shells to harvest any animal...$7.00 a shot to kill a turkey!!!! I'll just be a little patient and wait til he crosses the 40 yard line and kill with the cheapest lead shell I can buy....ridiculous !!

I hunted 6 states for turkeys in the last year, and spent $614 for licenses, of which I filled 10 tags. That's $61.40 per bird (and it was that cheap only because I own lifetime licenses in two of them, which aren't amortized into my figures). Then I spent heaven knows how much on gas -- I figure about $685 for gas, or $98 for each of the 7 birds I drove to hunt. And then the birds I flew to hunt cost me another $700 (3 tags filled), or $233 a piece. Not to mention the $2000 spent on leases, on which only 3 birds were killed, or $667 per bird. And even the food and drink I consumed while on these hunts come to approx $12 per bird.

And all that even though 4 of the 10 birds were killed on public land. And that's not counting the calls, camo, and other equipment I bought, as well as the guns I hunted with. If I included all that in there, that's who knows how much more per bird!

And of all the stuff I hunt with, the shells are by far the best investment, in terms of performance boost per dollar spent.
what he says +1

when it gets down to it, the ammo will be the cheapest investment
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
Jamey

Post by Jamey »

But but but Hal, think of all the money you could have saved if you had killed your turkeys with $3 shells. :)

Jamey via tapatalk
hawglips
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by hawglips »

Jamey wrote:But but but Hal, think of all the money you could have saved if you had killed your turkeys with $3 shells. :)

Jamey via tapatalk
:toothy7:
Gobbler
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Gobbler »

I hope John Doe doesn't read this ...He'll open up a can of Whip A$$. :lol:
Johndoe
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Johndoe »

WHOOOP AZZZ

There are no numbers on any of my clocks below 8. Then all of a sudden, 2 days before turkey season they appear. Then right after the season they disappear.
What's up with that
Johndoe
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Johndoe »

hawglips wrote:

Amen

There are no numbers on any of my clocks below 8. Then all of a sudden, 2 days before turkey season they appear. Then right after the season they disappear.
What's up with that
Gobbler
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Gobbler »

Handloaders don't look at cost. There is no way to put a price on your own recipe penetrating through a soup can at 60 yards.
Right Goldhunter?

PS how much for some of those magical 20's I heard about? :mrgreen:
GOLD HUNTER
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GOLD HUNTER »

no money can buy the look I got from Ricky after the shot them. :mrgreen:
LET'S GO TROUT FISHING
vaturkey
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by vaturkey »

GOLD HUNTER wrote:no money can buy the look I got from Ricky after the shot them. :mrgreen:
Your right about that Brian !! I thought my eyes were playing tricks on me when we walked up to the patterns. Im about to bust a gut to kill a bird with them !! You the man Brian & I truely respect your knowlege of handloading. And Hal your recipes are better than Paula Deans !! :thumbup:

vaturkey :struttin:
GOLD HUNTER
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GOLD HUNTER »

yep you got that right, Hal is the man of TSS....... you can't cook up a better recipes for turkeys just don't eatum !!! :pukeleft:
LET'S GO TROUT FISHING
CamoMan4025
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by CamoMan4025 »

Hey Gobbler, I think once Gold Hunter and Ricky load up like 100 rounds or so..............we execute that search warrant that I've been working on. If they cooperate with us then they won't be banned off of GN :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
"God, Guts & High Explosives"
GOLD HUNTER
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GOLD HUNTER »

CamoMan4025 wrote:Hey Gobbler, I think once Gold Hunter and Ricky load up like 100 rounds or so..............we execute that search warrant that I've been working on. If they cooperate with us then they won't be banned off of GN :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
then we only maken 99 :tongue:
LET'S GO TROUT FISHING
CamoMan4025
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by CamoMan4025 »

GOLD HUNTER wrote:
CamoMan4025 wrote:Hey Gobbler, I think once Gold Hunter and Ricky load up like 100 rounds or so..............we execute that search warrant that I've been working on. If they cooperate with us then they won't be banned off of GN :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
then we only maken 99 :tongue:
CRAP!
"God, Guts & High Explosives"
Gobbler
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Gobbler »

:lol: :lol:

Hey Kevin, Can I ride with you. I took a Criminal justice class in 12 th grade. Wait maybe it was drivers ed. :mrgreen:
vaturkey
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by vaturkey »

Hey Camoman ! You & Jake man walk on down here to Hickvill cause you're gonna limp back !! :naka:
vaturkey
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by vaturkey »

Gobbler wrote:Handloaders don't look at cost. There is no way to put a price on your own recipe penetrating through a soup can at 60 yards.
Right Goldhunter?

PS how much for some of those magical 20's I heard about? :mrgreen:
Brian needs to bring out the Brass Home Interior trash can that I shot @ 40 yds with the 20 & HW 7's

Return to “Gobbler Talk”