TURKEY AMMO GOING UP $$$

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
MKW
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: TURKEY AMMO GOING UP $$$

Post by MKW »

I understand what you are trying to say, but I don't think TSS will help me kill more turkeys because I will not shoot at turkeys that are farther than my personal range for killing turkeys. And I will not intentionally shoot at turkeys thru brush. As long as I can call turkeys into that personal range, which I can do often enough, I don't need TSS. I do shoot Fed HW almost exclusively and they are deadly, but I don't think I will ever get into loading TSS because I don't see the need. I like good ammo, but I ain't willing to load it.

Mike
Ultimate Predator
Shooter
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Shooter »

Mike, sorry, I guess I worded it not exactly as I intended. Let me give a simpler explaination.
I can remember several birds that were shot at moderate ranges with lead, like 30, 35, 40, and 45yds that got knocked down and feathered, and then got away.
After what I've seen in recent years with the new Tungsten shot,... ALL of these birds would have been Smoked, and went home with me, no question. All clear shots. I'm sure most of all turkey hunters have had turkeys get away at moderate ranges with lead shells.
I guess what I really meant was, that there will be fewer birds get away with TSS, than with lead.

BTW, I did lose a bird in the 2012 season. I forgot about the 23 yarder. Clean miss,...LOL!
Too much in shock to get another shot off!!

Fed HWs are awesome shells, and the closest thing to TSS you can get.
They are pretty pricey too though.
guesswho
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by guesswho »

I understand what you were getting at now. HTL shooters can kill turkeys in some situations a lead shooter can't, but not necessarily more turkeys. I'd love to try TSS, but I'm like Mike. I don't see myself ever loading any.
Double Naught Spy!
RCD's Owner----------------Badonka Deke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff-------------Lighter Than HTL Shooter
The Storm Whistle Prostaff
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey Calls Prostaff
hawglips
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by hawglips »

I just use what works the best in my gun.
...I have a remingto 870 express super mag. I use Remington nitro turkey load. I know its not everyones choice of gun,but I like it and I guess that's what counts :D
Gobblenut ,The diamonds would be a more welcome sight rolling across your dinner plate when you realize you didn't get all the shot out of the breast meat...
Of course, anyone is more than welcome to buy and shoot whatever they want, like, have on hand, etc. We're fortunate to have a lot of options in this country. Some like to go for performance, some like to go for price, some like to go for brand loyalty, some like to go for convenience. Some like to handicap themselves. Some go for a combination of those. And some change their choice from time to time. And it's all good.

But the unfortunate thing about making statements like, "I just use what works best in my gun", is that unlike one's favorite camo, favorite type call, favorite honey bun, favorite movie star, favorite cola, etc, what works best in any particular gun is very easily measured and therefore can be confirmed objectively, with no bias. And so, without any prejudice or bias, I can state with certainty that Remington Nitros is not what will actually work best in that particular (or any other) gun -- assuming of course that "works best" means performance. So for future reference, I'd say it's probably better not to ever flatly state that "X works best in my gun", because there may be those that know, for example, that there are several types of store-bought ammo (not to mention handloads) that will work much better. A board like this will usually be populated with at least some guys who have actually tested a lot of, or perhaps all of, the different turkey ammo available, and are familiar with the differences in performance.

And also, unfortunately, the price of all types of ammo is going to continue to go up. But hanging around boards like this is a good way to get alerted to any deals that are out there to help stretch a dollar. People are always posting up deals when they run across them, after, of course, they buy up what they want themselves first!
Shooter
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Shooter »

I figured you caught that too, and was wondering if you were gonna say something,...lol.
For as cheap as Rem Nitro Turkeys are, they are a decent shell. But to compare them to other premium store bought ammo, such as Fed HW, Hevishot, and Win HDER,... they are not in the ballpark.
Unfortunetly though, pretty sure these boys go for $4, $5 each, and maybe more.
Jaybird
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Jaybird »

milkman wrote:I also reread the whole thread just out of curiosity. It was a fun thread between people who obviously have a history with one another. It seemed to me good lighthearted fun. Even tomgirl seemed to be joining in with her diamond shot comment. Spursuader came along and jumped in with the more money than sense comment and then gets his feelings hurt when people respond. These forums to me are like a big campfire. Every campfire I've sat around had a lot of ribbing,a lot of opinions,a lot of disagreements and even some arguments but in the end it was over once the fire was put out. Those that can't let it go and move on normally weed themselves out.
Agreed. I too read this after Spursuaders post on leaving, and when you make a statement like "more money than sense", you are asking for confrontation in some way. Good post.
ImageImageImage
Stinky J Picklestein
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Stinky J Picklestein »

My goal is to one day have more money than sense. It shouldn't take much.
Jaybird
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Jaybird »

Stinky J Picklestein wrote:My goal is to one day have more money than sense. It shouldn't take much.
:thumbup:
ImageImageImage
GobbleNut

Post by GobbleNut »

Stinky J Picklestein wrote:My goal is to one day have more money than sense. It shouldn't take much.
:laughing3: :laughing3: :laughing1: :laughing2: :laughing4: :laughing5: :laughing6: :laughing7: :laughing8: :laughing9: :laughing3: :laughing3:

Err,...unfortunately, I know the feeling all too well.... :lol:
MKW
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by MKW »

Shooter wrote: Fed HWs are awesome shells, and the closest thing to TSS you can get.

They are the best that I can buy commercially...that's why I shoot them. If TSS loaded shells were available for purchase, I'd likely shoot them. The 20ga Feds are expensive and sometimes hard to find, that's why I bought 28 boxes of them. I won't be buying ANY turkey loads for a little while. :D

Mike
Ultimate Predator
HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by HunterGKS »

Is this enough???? :lol: :toothy7:
George

YOU KNOW YOU HAVE TO KEEP YOUR BODY STILL. YOUR HEART JUST HASN'T CAUGHT ON.

.17 = NITRO OF THE RIMFIRE WORLD USAF 1969-1973

Stinky J Picklestein
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

gobbler0531 wrote: Is this enough???? :lol: :toothy7:
Almost there. Damn mortgage!
HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by HunterGKS »

MKW wrote:
Shooter wrote: Fed HWs are awesome shells, and the closest thing to TSS you can get.

They are the best that I can buy commercially...that's why I shoot them. If TSS loaded shells were available for purchase, I'd likely shoot them. The 20ga Feds are expensive and sometimes hard to find, that's why I bought 28 boxes of them. I won't be buying ANY turkey loads for a little while. :D

Mike
I managed to snag 10 boxes of 10 12 ga #7s a few years ago when they were still only $32 a box. I shouldn't need any for awhile but keep an eye out for deals. Personally, I think thet beat hevi-shot, hands down.
George

HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by HunterGKS »

Stinky J Picklestein wrote:
gobbler0531 wrote: Is this enough???? :lol: :toothy7:
Almost there. Damn mortgage!
Well, alrighty then. I'll up the ante.

George

Stinky J Picklestein
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

gobbler0531 wrote: Well, alrighty then. I'll up the ante.
My printer is hammering out copies of your image as we speak. I'll be rich in no time!
HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by HunterGKS »

Stinky J Picklestein wrote:
gobbler0531 wrote: Well, alrighty then. I'll up the ante.
My printer is hammering out copies of your image as we speak. I'll be rich in no time!
So now you'll have cents to go with your sense!! :cheers: :cheers:
George

CamoMan4025
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by CamoMan4025 »

I'm happy with the MagBlends out of my 12, may try them in my 20??? I thought Nitros kick like two mules, but MagBlends are right there with them!
"God, Guts & High Explosives"
Shooter
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Shooter »

CamoMan4025 wrote:I'm happy with the MagBlends out of my 12, may try them in my 20??? I thought Nitros kick like two mules, but MagBlends are right there with them!
I can vouch for that,... I watched Grizz pattern test them one day. After watchin him get pounded about 8 or 10 shots, I noticed a strong flinch while pulling the trigger.
I told him to stop shooting and wasting shells after that, cause he was all over the paper then,...LOL!!
HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by HunterGKS »

CamoMan4025 wrote:I'm happy with the MagBlends out of my 12, may try them in my 20??? I thought Nitros kick like two mules, but MagBlends are right there with them!
And that's another benefit of the Fed HW 7s, the kick is greatly reduced.
George

Johndoe
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Johndoe »

gobbler0531 wrote:
I did not find this to be the case. I have shot very few of them tho. I kept gettin better patterns with Hevi and TSS so I dont shoot many.

John

There are no numbers on any of my clocks below 8. Then all of a sudden, 2 days before turkey season they appear. Then right after the season they disappear.
What's up with that
davisd9
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by davisd9 »

Those fed hw are 1.50 oz and they are no joke on the shoulder in a 20 ga pump gun, especially my little youth 870.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2
Shooter
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Shooter »

Johndoe wrote:
gobbler0531 wrote:
I did not find this to be the case. I have shot very few of them tho. I kept gettin better patterns with Hevi and TSS so I dont shoot many.

John
LOL, Yep, tell that to Lily with that 5 lb double barrel she shot last year,....TOO Funny!!
She had already got used to the 3" mags with 1 oz of steel shooting ducks, and thought they had a strong thump.
After she smoked that Jake at 15 yds, with the Fed HW 1 1/2oz of 7s, she turned to me and said,... something wrong with that bullet!!! I said, looked OK to me,...LOL. She said,... Too much HARD, TOO MUCH HARD!!!
Anything out of that gun kicks smartly. I can't even imagine 1 1/2oz.
I let her pattern shoot it with a 7/8oz dove shell, cause I knew if she fired one of those HWs with a t-shirt on, she probably wouldn't shoot it again,...lol.
Shooter
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Shooter »

guesswho wrote:I understand what you were getting at now. HTL shooters can kill turkeys in some situations a lead shooter can't, but not necessarily more turkeys. I'd love to try TSS, but I'm like Mike. I don't see myself ever loading any.
Ronnie and Mike,...Let me run this by you, and give you and anyone else something to think about.
We all know how much more Lethal Hevi is to Lead. How much more Lethal Fed HW is to Hevi.
So,... wrap your minds around this, and think on it some. It should give you a little more understanding of TSSs Lethality.
Hevi is only one number difference heavier than Lead, but is hard as a brick bat. That is where the tighter patterns come from, unlike lead being softer, and spreads like wildfire.
HW is 3 numbers heavier than Hevi, and a little harder than Hevi.
TSS is 3 numbers heavier than HW. Not for sure its any harder than HW, but probably just a little.

Hope this helps a little, Tommy
guesswho
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by guesswho »

Oh yeah, that cleared it right up. Let me ponder on this. One number and three numbers and three numbers is seven numbers. So if I shoot lead 6's and kill say 15 turkeys, then I can shoot TSS 13's and kill 22 turkeys. Heck yeah, sign me up.
Double Naught Spy!
RCD's Owner----------------Badonka Deke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff-------------Lighter Than HTL Shooter
The Storm Whistle Prostaff
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey Calls Prostaff
Shooter
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Shooter »

guesswho wrote:Oh yeah, that cleared it right up. Let me ponder on this. One number and three numbers and three numbers is seven numbers. So if I shoot lead 6's and kill say 15 turkeys, then I can shoot TSS 13's and kill 22 turkeys. Heck yeah, sign me up.
DAM,... I missed again, didn't I,...lol.
Weight density in lead is .11
In Hevi is .12
In HW is .15
And in TSS, it is .18 per cubic centimeter.
It's the weight of the pellets, not the shot sizes,... sorry.

Return to “Gobbler Talk”