TURKEY AMMO GOING UP $$$

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
GOLD HUNTER
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: TURKEY AMMO GOING UP $$$

Post by GOLD HUNTER »

:shaking2: :shaking: :shaking2: :shaking: .......and what did he say !!! :lol:
LET'S GO TROUT FISHING
Johndoe
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Johndoe »

U didnt miss he is jackin with you.

There are no numbers on any of my clocks below 8. Then all of a sudden, 2 days before turkey season they appear. Then right after the season they disappear.
What's up with that
Stinky J Picklestein
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Stinky J Picklestein »

guesswho wrote:Oh yeah, that cleared it right up. Let me ponder on this. One number and three numbers and three numbers is seven numbers. So if I shoot lead 6's and kill say 15 turkeys, then I can shoot TSS 13's and kill 22 turkeys. Heck yeah, sign me up.
LOL! TSS will blast through the first bird and kill a few others behind it. :lol:
3toe

Post by 3toe »

Shooter wrote:
guesswho wrote:Oh yeah, that cleared it right up. Let me ponder on this. One number and three numbers and three numbers is seven numbers. So if I shoot lead 6's and kill say 15 turkeys, then I can shoot TSS 13's and kill 22 turkeys. Heck yeah, sign me up.
DAM,... I missed again, didn't I,...lol.
Weight density in lead is .11
In Hevi is .12
In HW is .15
And in TSS, it is .18 per cubic centimeter.
It's the weight of the pellets, not the shot sizes,... sorry.
And, correct me if I am wrong, but the weight is also why TSS holds tighter patterns. Think of it like throwing a baseball and a wiffle ball. The heavier one is going to fly straighter and hit harder than the other one.
Shooter
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Shooter »

Stinky J Picklestein wrote:
LOL! TSS will blast through the first bird and kill a few others behind it. :lol:
Don't laugh Stinky,.... You have no idea, how true that statement actually is!!
I've seen it!
hawglips
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by hawglips »

Shooter wrote:
Don't laugh Stinky,.... You have no idea, how true that statement actually is!!
I've seen it!
I've been real tempted to take a .410 loaded with TSS dove hunting this year, but I sure as heck wouldn't want those small #9s to pepper anyone 200 yds away.... so I ain't gonna do it.
Shooter
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Shooter »

3toe wrote:
Shooter wrote:
DAM,... I missed again, didn't I,...lol.
Weight density in lead is .11
In Hevi is .12
In HW is .15
And in TSS, it is .18 per cubic centimeter.
It's the weight of the pellets, not the shot sizes,... sorry.
And, correct me if I am wrong, but the weight is also why TSS holds tighter patterns. Think of it like throwing a baseball and a wiffle ball. The heavier one is going to fly straighter and hit harder than the other one.
Actually, it is the hardness of TSS that contributes to the tighter patterns.
Weight does have a little effect though.
Hevi weighs just a fuzz more than lead, but shoots a ton tighter at any distance, because of its hardness.
devastator
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by devastator »

MKW wrote:
Shooter wrote: Fed HWs are awesome shells, and the closest thing to TSS you can get.
They are pretty pricey too though.

They are the best that I can buy commercially...that's why I shoot them. If TSS loaded shells were available for purchase, I'd likely shoot them. The 20ga Feds are expensive and sometimes hard to find, that's why I bought 28 boxes of them. I won't be buying ANY turkey loads for a little while. :D

Mike
ME2,that is why I bought 20 boxes of the 20's and a case of the 12 3 1/2 inch 7's,plus I had 6 boxes of 10 gauge and am looking for more.Never have to reload I guess but I want too.Probably never will!
drenalinld
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

TURKEY AMMO GOING UP $$$

Post by drenalinld »

The only pattern advantage I can think of from being harder is less deformation through a choke. Hevi is not uniform anyway, so I wonder if hardness is much of a factor in better patterns?
BrentM

TURKEY AMMO GOING UP $$$

Post by BrentM »

I'm gonna agree with Shooter and make another point that doesn't have anything to do with how far I shoot at one........ With TSS I can take a 5 lb 20 gauge with a 21" barrel and have all (more honestly) of the capabilities of my 7 lb 12 gauge with 26" barrel
Give me a weapon that is quicker and more maneuverable that still has the same lethality and its just a matter of time until I kill a turkey with it I would not have killed otherwise.
hawglips
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by hawglips »

drenalinld wrote:The only pattern advantage I can think of from being harder is less deformation through a choke. Hevi is not uniform anyway, so I wonder if hardness is much of a factor in better patterns?
It is a big factor with lead. Spherical is better ballistically, so any pellet that gets flattened during setback is not going to fly as true as a spherical one. Since no deformation of pellets takes place during setback with TSS, you don't get fliers associated with deformation. But I believe density is a big factor also. Air resistance effects ballistics, and the greater mass per surface area a pellet has, the less the air can effect it.
Shooter
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Shooter »

Hmmmm, Okay then,..... Lets all do a simple test then.
Take your favorite shotgun, put an Improved Cylinder choke in it, or whatever.
Find you a lead and Hevi, and or HW12/13 shell of the same shot size and weight charge as the Lead shell.
1 1/2oz of 6s should be easy to find, but any size and weight will do, as long as they are the same.
Shoot both shells through the same gun/choke, at two pieces of paper at 30 yds or whatever.
Then look at the size diameter of the pattern.
Prove it to yourself. If it is fliers that make the difference, that is an awful lot of fliers!
HookedSpur83

Post by HookedSpur83 »

hawglips wrote:
Frankinthelaurels wrote:I'll never pay $35 dollars for 5 shells to harvest any animal...$7.00 a shot to kill a turkey!!!! I'll just be a little patient and wait til he crosses the 40 yard line and kill with the cheapest lead shell I can buy....ridiculous !!
Man! If all you pay is $7 per animal harvested, that's dang cheap!

I hunted 6 states for turkeys in the last year, and spent $614 for licenses, of which I filled 10 tags. That's $61.40 per bird (and it was that cheap only because I own lifetime licenses in two of them, which aren't amortized into my figures). Then I spent heaven knows how much on gas -- I figure about $685 for gas, or $98 for each of the 7 birds I drove to hunt. And then the birds I flew to hunt cost me another $700 (3 tags filled), or $233 a piece. Not to mention the $2000 spent on leases, on which only 3 birds were killed, or $667 per bird. And even the food and drink I consumed while on these hunts come to approx $12 per bird.

Licenses: $61.40 per bird
Gas: $98 per bird
Leases: $667 per bird
Airfare and related: $233 per bird
Food and drink: $12 per bird
shells: $7 per bird

And all that even though 4 of the 10 birds were killed on public land. And that's not counting the calls, camo, and other equipment I bought, as well as the guns I hunted with. If I included all that in there, that's who knows how much more per bird!

And of all the stuff I hunt with, the shells are by far the best investment, in terms of performance boost per dollar spent.[/quote

But just think of how much fun it was smashing heads, I didn't spend that much but my expenses was like this:

Licenses- $24.50
gas - $300 $50/week for 6 weeks = 14 weeks for deer season (not that much, I only live about 5 miles from the lease)
lease- $500 2900 ac. that's for deer/turkey.we have several members but only 2 turkey hunt..
family/friends land- $0
broken trigger on my ol shotgun - $50
seed and fertilizer - $500

If I figure half an seeds and half on lease because of the use of deer and turkey is $874.50 for 5 turkeys, I would have $174.90 not counting ammo in each turkey, I am sure I am missing something. So if I was looking at cost I would just go to the grocery store and bought 43 butterball turkeys and sit at the house and got fat

For deer it would be $1224.50 between me and my wife we limited out on bucks and killed 2 does so that's 8 deer total $153.06/deer not counting ammo.

So what would 4-5 bucks more/shell hurt? Nothing at all! I stopped even looking at cost of ammo when I started reloading I spent 2 grand in the first 6 months. lol
Spuriosity
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Spuriosity »

hawglips wrote:
drenalinld wrote:The only pattern advantage I can think of from being harder is less deformation through a choke. Hevi is not uniform anyway, so I wonder if hardness is much of a factor in better patterns?
It is a big factor with lead. Spherical is better ballistically, so any pellet that gets flattened during setback is not going to fly as true as a spherical one. Since no deformation of pellets takes place during setback with TSS, you don't get fliers associated with deformation. But I believe density is a big factor also. Air resistance effects ballistics, and the greater mass per surface area a pellet has, the less the air can effect it.
This. Deformed lead pellets do not pattern well. That's why mag grade (high antimony, e.g. high quality target loads) and copper and nickel plated shot patterns better than no antimony (pure lead) or low antimony (chilled) lead shot. The harder shot deforms less and patterns better. Steel shot patterns tighter than lead shot even though it is much less dense, because it is hard. There is no deformation with steel, HS, HW, or TSS. So once you reach a level of hardness that does not deform on setback or during bore travel, the determining factor on pattern density then becomes pellet density. TSS comes out on top due to its density vs HW, HS, or steel.
Johndoe
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Johndoe »

Spuriosity wrote:
hawglips wrote:
This. Deformed lead pellets do not pattern well. That's why mag grade (high antimony, e.g. high quality target loads) and copper and nickel plated shot patterns better than no antimony (pure lead) or low antimony (chilled) lead shot. The harder shot deforms less and patterns better. Steel shot patterns tighter than lead shot even though it is much less dense, because it is hard. There is no deformation with steel, HS, HW, or TSS. So once you reach a level of hardness that does not deform on setback or during bore travel, the determining factor on pattern density then becomes pellet density. TSS comes out on top due to its density vs HW, HS, or steel.
All that JibberJabber when this is all we needed. :-)

Thanks Wes.

There are no numbers on any of my clocks below 8. Then all of a sudden, 2 days before turkey season they appear. Then right after the season they disappear.
What's up with that

Return to “Gobbler Talk”