Primitive camp and hunt

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
YellaJacket

Primitive camp and hunt

Post by YellaJacket »

Dad and me are planning to primitive camp and hunt the second week of our rifle season. Bear season will be in then so trying to get the most out of our stay. We will use just tarps in survival fashion for low shelters with sleeping bags and mats. Done right it makes for decent conditions. It's an experience to say the least. It's about 3 hours walk up to our camp area from the trucks. I mean UP too. Some killer hunting in there. It's a wilderness area where no motorized equipment is allowed. It will test your metal but I recommend it to anyone who thinks they could manage roughing the outdoors without an rv. My dad doesn't have too many years left where we can do this together so I enjoy that time on the mountain. I've spent many days on those rocky ridges freezing, wet, wind chapped but the animals I've seen and taken was worth it. I'm a stand hunter.8-10 hours in place takes some will power but talk about some serious thinking time. You really learn to appreciate the woods, wildlife and life in general.
Next two pics from my favorite stand. Its a rock ledge about 10 feet off the ground. There is a wall about 15 feet straight up behind me. The ledge comes from ground level on the right. You can walk right up to this pocket where I sit. Keeps rain off unless its a driving rain. Ive seen bear, bobcat, deer, coyote, even grouse from here. Ive killed some big bucks and missed 1 monster as well on the right.
Jaybird
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Primitive camp and hunt

Post by Jaybird »

That is really cool. Don't think I could cut it anymore, but use to hunt with my grandpa, where primitive hunting was kind of the way it was. Even then we didn't have deal with the UP thing. We never owned no ATV, but did use a boat for most of the trip to get where we wanted to go. So, definitely not as extreme as what you guys are doing. That really appeals to me.
ImageImageImage
Hognutz
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hognutz »

Good luck with the hunt. You guys are definitely going to be roughing it. Always nice to be hunting/bonding with your father.. Not really for me. My idea of ''roughing it'' is when room service doesn't pick-up the phone until the third ring..Mike
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
I am the man from Nantucket.
“Leave the gun, take the cannoli” -Clemensa
When attacked by a group of clowns...Go for the Juggler!!
hawglips
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by hawglips »

Sounds like a blast.
CamoMan4025
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by CamoMan4025 »

WOW, I commend you two for doing this. I have never done anything like that nor have I even had the opportunity. 3 hours in.........OMG, I would be in cardiac arrest packing all that stuff in. I would have to break out the Polaris and take the chance of getting caught! Enjoy the time in God's Creation and realizing how blessed we are. You and your father will have a blast!

Good Luck,

Kevin
"God, Guts & High Explosives"
YellaJacket

Post by YellaJacket »

Kevin,
Many seasons I would go in to the same place 3 or 4 days in a row before taking a couple days off to recoup. When I first started hunting in there it was a 6 hour drag across the top of the mountain and down to the truck to get a buck out. After a few years I was able to get better acquainted with all the ridges and cut my time down to a couple hours. If I was by myself It was still a couple miles back up the road to the truck once I got my deer stashed at the bottom. Its a much better hunt with a couple vehicles. If your on top you can come down my drag ridge with a deer or walk back to the main ridge and come off at the truck if your unsuccessful. Man I was in good shape when I hunted all season in there. Now Ive got a more rounder shape..LoL.. With the kids now I havent been able to get in to my spots much the last couple years. I know how the bucks run in this area after all them years. I still enjoyed sitting in there even if nothing was moving. Old mountain squirrels were always good for company. Below are just a few of the bucks I killed back that at spot from the same stand. Ive done my share of deer chasing. Ive concentrated on the gobblers the last few years. That place holds some nice gobblers but they will wear a man plumb out trying to get position on them in the spring..just too steep. You cant cover a lot of ground listening.
Turkey Talker
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Turkey Talker »

Kick Azz! Nice pics too!
CamoMan4025
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by CamoMan4025 »

Yep, they are some nice ones Jim. Good luck and you and your Dad be careful.

Kevin
"God, Guts & High Explosives"

Return to “Gobbler Talk”