Need some deer help fellas!

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
Ticeman

Need some deer help fellas!

Post by Ticeman »

Being a novice (at best) deer hunter, I was in my stand tonight and a spike buck was walking by and he grunted, so my dumb question is...what does that mean? is it like a gobbler gobbling? trying to get a doe's attention? how should I have responded? I grunted back at him (pretty damn good at it if I say so myself! :P

He just kept on moving. what do the resident bambie killas have to say??

BTW- I TRIED to call my buddies TRAPPERSCOTT and MKW...but evidently they're too good to take my calls and don't want to be my friend any more! :banghead:
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Need some deer help fellas!

Post by Hoobilly »

you got to sound like a sexy doe to get the attention of the bucks...big or small.

So try sounding sexy like the next time one walks thru. :D
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
redarrow
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by redarrow »

Are you sure it wasn't a fart. :reindeer:
Put you plans in the nail scarred hands.
redarrow
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by redarrow »

Actually they make all kinds of vocalizations. If you wanted him to stop so you could shoot I would have doe bleated at him.
Gobbler
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Gobbler »

I carry a gun just for situations like this. He was saying "Hey there is a man in a tree over here be careful".
You have to shoot whistle blowers like that spike.
Good luck Ticeman.

:thumbup: :mrgreen:
Ticeman

Post by Ticeman »

So that was the equivalent of an alarm putt a turkey makes? Do bucks blow like a doe does when they bust you?
redarrow
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by redarrow »

Grunt is not an alarm ! The blowing you refer to is an alarm. Not to be confused with a snort wheeze. Deer sometimes blow just to clear their noses while smelling the air for danger.Bucks often grunt at each other just before the throw down. Sometimes they grunt just before and during the actual breeding act. That sounds familiar. Do a google search search for whitetail deer vocalizations.I feel that Leonard Lee Rue is the master of understanding the different sounds deer make.
Hambone79

Post by Hambone79 »

Deer do have all kind of vocalizations me personally i would not have grunted. a doe bleat would have been a better choice. Normally a smaller less mature buck will spook or move on quicker from a grunt afraid off getting his butt kicked by the bigger one tending the area. if it was the moment to have taken that deer and that was your plan to take him you should have done the always good (naaa) he will stop but only for a second then move on. next where u bow hunting? but if not you can shoot then think about how could i have stoped him the firearm much more forgiving . this being said its IMO.. Good luck and good hunting.
Stinky J Picklestein
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Stinky J Picklestein »

Deer grunt all the time, especially the youngsters. I don't grunt back (or make any sound, for that matter), unless I want the deer to stop or to make him curious and work downwind from me so I can get a shot.
Ticeman

Post by Ticeman »

Alright, that helps guys, appreciate the replies. I'm not gonna shoot a dink buck, but at least I know this is a common thing amongst the youngins.
:thumbleft:
Gobbler
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Gobbler »

I want to appologize for Fibbing in my previous post. :D
CamoMan4025
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by CamoMan4025 »

I almost always here them grunting during the rut. You may hear one grunting during the rut before you ever see him. If you see a doe and hear a grunt, well, he's not far behind. When chasing does, they will grunt every other step or so. On the other hand, RaspyD was bow hunting the other day and a doe came into him grunting all the way???

PS, thanks for trying to call me...............I would have at least answered :cry:
"God, Guts & High Explosives"
Ticeman

Post by Ticeman »

CamoMan4025 wrote:I almost always here them grunting during the rut. You may hear one grunting during the rut before you ever see him. If you see a doe and hear a grunt, well, he's not far behind. When chasing does, they will grunt every other step or so. On the other hand, RaspyD was bow hunting the other day and a doe came into him grunting all the way???

PS, thanks for trying to call me...............I would have at least answered :cry:
Yeah- yer right about that Kevvy, I should have started with the expert to begin with, CAMOMAN...instead of that MKW character, who won't take my calls when i need him the most! I mean, this was a life or death situation for God's sake!
CamoMan4025
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by CamoMan4025 »

Yea, he's off in his own little world................"The World of MKW".............how life revolves around me :o :o :o I am always there for ya Mike!!!

MKW.......................so funny I just peed my pants :rabbit:
timbrhuntr
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by timbrhuntr »

I am probably a novice to as I have only been bow hunting whitetail deer since 2000 but here is what I have seen in the field. I have never grunted in a buck or a doe when blind grunting. I have never had a doe that was in sight come over to check things out when I grunted at her. Although a couple have stopped and looked. Most just keep on going. I have grunted at several bucks from big 10's to spikes and all have responded to the grunt. In fact a couple have almost come right into my lap looking for the other deer. Again this is only from my experience. Not sure if this info is of any help to you but there it is.

I also always carry my gun or bow with me when checking cams etc. when there is a season open.
MKW
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by MKW »

You see, Camoman...Tice didn't bother calling you because he needed real world, hunting situation advice. You couldn't help him with that cause you only have "Outdoor Channel" hunting experience! He didn't want to have to wait till you could call RaspyD and vahunter for the information.
:bootyshake: :toothy7: :bootyshake:

Mike
Ultimate Predator
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

MKW wrote: He didn't want to have to wait till you could call RaspyD and vahunter for the information.

Mike
You beat me too it :lol:

Heck Tice this is 2011, why didnt you get on your smartphone in the stand and do a google search :?:
Ticeman

Post by Ticeman »

ICDEDTURKES wrote:
MKW wrote: He didn't want to have to wait till you could call RaspyD and vahunter for the information.

Mike
You beat me too it :lol:

Heck Tice this is 2011, why didnt you get on your smartphone in the stand and do a google search :?:
Aint got any signal in BFE where the woods is at, heck, they gotta pump sunshine into this place it's so remote.

I'm tellin ya....it got my heart pumpin ALMOST like a spring gobbler...almost.
CamoMan4025
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by CamoMan4025 »

MKW................don't be a hater.................All I know is a FRIEND was at need and I would have been there for him!!!

Poor Mike............I got yer back buddy!
Sloppy_Snood

Post by Sloppy_Snood »

Forget deer hunting and stick to collecting 1911s. :lol:
"You've gotta be original, because if you're like someone else, what do they need you for?"- Bernadette Peters
Ticeman

Post by Ticeman »

Sloppy_Snood wrote:Forget deer hunting and stick to collecting 1911s. :lol:

I don't know that I'll forget about it...but I may rethink the bow and chase em with this...

Let it eat!

:angry5:

pickpot

Post by pickpot »

You turned him on.. that's all. That deer is queer.
Turkey Talker
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Turkey Talker »

deer grunt all year long, it could mean a few things, location, interception, territory, warning, ect.. to make em come to you simply bleet to him or do a baby call if thats not working. Big bucks will come in to babies hollerin for momma doe. to get him to stop for a shot grunt by mouth or say "Blahhh (burp vocalization) " stops em everytime.

Return to “Gobbler Talk”