Great Day

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Great Day

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

So last night we hunted a field that sal saw a bunch of mallards in Fri night.. So we Set up in a low spot with water and managed to kill a limit of geese and a couple of Drake Mallards.. Needless to say we saw 100 or so ducks and they all wanted the field edge.. So upon shooting hours I walked over there to find a pond.. No wonder..

This AM we slept in and hunted a cow pasture for geese.. The first two flocks bowed in the decoys and we limited.. So 10 minutes of hunting led to me for an hour with a fishing pole trying to get one dead goose out of the middle of the pond.. As I casted for the 4000th time at least 300 geese had wanted the pond, leaving me frustrated as it was not a shoot and scoot..

So this evening we went to the pond from last night.. It was a weird night, small flocks of drakes that wanted to die.. At the end some larger flocks flew and we killed drakes sparing hens.. We could have limited on mallards had we shot our hens and killed another drake which was a shooting problem.. We also had a handful of wood duck flocks catch us standing up and resulting in no shooting.. We did have one woodrow bow up and drop that we tag teamed and he was banded.. My furthest band for sure, Decatur Alabama in 2007..

This pond is gonna rock in 7--10 days when the flight mallards arrive as it is a pond in the middle of a cornfield.

ImageImage
Gobbler
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Great Day

Post by Gobbler »

Ya'll are wearing them out. :thumbup:
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

Its been a good season.. We are batting 90+% on goose limits this regular season.. We are not putting up the big numbers like usual but half our crew insists on closing the bar on the weekends or have other obligations.. So Sal and I have been hunting alot alone and knocking them down.. This morning we could have limited 10-12 guys.

Our local mallard population sucks.. Every corner of the US is way up, but we are down 46 percent and it shows.. Normally this time of year we will have 300 + ducks at 1o yards in the AM in the cornfields but this year has been slow.. Hopefully the flights show up.
YellaJacket

Post by YellaJacket »

Good Luck on those numbers. Ive been begging a couple local farmers to let me hunt some property holding good duck and goose numbers. Deer hunters have it nailed down tight right now. 1 place holds a pile of black ducks Id like to get a crack at.
TRKYHTR

Post by TRKYHTR »

You guys are killin them Tom. I didn't even know they banded woodducks. Thats a prize for sure.

TRKYHTR
Eph 2:8-9
Jaybird
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Jaybird »

:thumbright: Now that's some dang good hunting there. You and Sal are layen em down.
ImageImageImage
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Congrats on a great hunt
I thought you would be BIGGER
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

TRKYHTR wrote:You guys are killin them Tom. I didn't even know they banded woodducks. Thats a prize for sure.

TRKYHTR
The last few years they have been banding a bunch locally.. When I looked at the band, I thought it was new, and was local.. But the duck was a bit odd when he came in with a low "roll Tide" call :scratch: instead of the common "eek" of the wood duck..
FuzzSawyer

Post by FuzzSawyer »

:thumbup: Pound em!
devastator
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by devastator »

sounds like more fun than sitting in a tree for 4 hours of archery hunting and not seeing anything.good shooting man.god do i miss my beagles.
Turkey Talker
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Turkey Talker »

so glad i quit chewing.

looks like you had a great time.

Return to “Gobbler Talk”