what would you suspect

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
Turkey Talker
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

what would you suspect

Post by Turkey Talker »

Today i went out to check out some new property and throw up a couple feeders and cams. I got out of the truck and walked into a clearing. I got out the ole diaphragm and cut and yelped aggressively to see if a gobbler was around. 2 seconds later i hear a lone hen yelping back at me. So i sat down. She and i called back and forth for 3 minutes until she closed the distance. She got 20 yards from me and started scratching around purring and clucking. She hung out for ten minutes and just faded back into the woods. She was all by herself at 11 am.
What would you suspect from this?
Are there no gobblers around?
Is she nesting already and leaving the gobblers around this time?
What do you think?
davisd9
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: what would you suspect

Post by davisd9 »

Why are you calling and getting birds suspicious before the season starts? Are you sure your bird are to the point they are ready for aggressive calling and not just starting to work out pecking order? I think that is all it is or one just was not around. I do not tell others how to hunt but a peaceful tip that I do is to never let the birds know I am there until I can carry a gun. No calling and staying as far hidden as I can. I wear full camo and move as if I was trying to sneak in on one. Do not want to give them any reason to be nervous at the start of the season, especially on public land.
Turkey Talker
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Turkey Talker »

Well this is private property and i always cutt aggressively to locate a gobbler. I always preseason call and never have problems killing or calling them in again. The bird never saw me and did not spook. She looked around, didnt see anything amd slowly melted back into the woods.
guesswho
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by guesswho »

I'd guess she's already laying.
Double Naught Spy!
RCD's Owner----------------Badonka Deke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff-------------Lighter Than HTL Shooter
The Storm Whistle Prostaff
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey Calls Prostaff
Sloppy_Snood

Post by Sloppy_Snood »

It is quite possible that you have attracted one of the rare "lesbian hens." ;)
"You've gotta be original, because if you're like someone else, what do they need you for?"- Bernadette Peters
loner

Post by loner »

never alert turkeys prior to season.if you don't know the area,scout looking for scratchings only.few days before opener,get on high point before daylight with mug of coffee from your thermos and listen for gobbles or hen talk and leave quietly.leave your calls at home
.just a retired old man who still believes in morals,ethics,sportsmanship and common courtesy.
ArkansasDon

Post by ArkansasDon »

TT I think you need to learn what calls are best to use in certain times of the season :lol:

you should be looking for dusting, roasting, pervious feeding areas

plus, if that corn gets wet and moldy, Aflatoxins in moldy corn is bad for turkeys.

theirs nothing wrong for scout'n for turkeys, its how you do it without leting your presents be known. Turkeys have a keen sense of hearing and can pinpoint sounds far as a mile away.
Camo Solutions http://www.camo-solutions.com
Red Hawk Archery Pro Staff http://www.redhawk-archery.com
Grover
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Grover »

Illegal here in Illinois to call before the season starts, unless you're using an owl hooter or other type of locator call.

To answer your question, I have no idea.
"INFIDEL"
Turkey Talker
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Turkey Talker »

ArkansasDon wrote:TT I think you need to learn what calls are best to use in certain times of the season :lol:

plus, if that corn gets wet and moldy, Aflatoxins in moldy corn is bad for turkeys.

theirs nothing wrong for scout'n for turkeys, its how you do it without leting your presents be known. Turkeys have a keen sense of hearing and can pinpoint sounds far as a mile away.
This post was useless. :lol:

You come down here and look for dusting spots in ankle high swamp water full of cypress stumps. We dont hunt on golf courses down here. The only areas with dry land are minimal, and thats were i put to food out. My feeders only last 6 days anyways. Not worried about the rains.
Turkey Talker
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Turkey Talker »

I seriously have to laugh at all of this preseason calling hatred. Turkeys vocalize each and everyday with familiar birds and strangers..if turkeys cannot find eachother, which happens frequently, they just go about there day with no bother. I think you guys are giving these turkeys too much credit. They are stupid pea brained birds that do not act or think about acting, they simply react to stimuli. Humans try to analyze too critically and end up losing the battle with these dumb birds. birds will get shot at one day and return to the same set up 2 days later.
ArkansasDon

Post by ArkansasDon »

Turkey Talker wrote:
ArkansasDon wrote:TT I think you need to learn what calls are best to use in certain times of the season :lol:

This post was useless. :lol:

You come down here and look for dusting spots in ankle high swamp water full of cypress stumps. We dont hunt on golf courses down here. The only areas with dry land are minimal, and thats were i put to food out. My feeders only last 6 days anyways. Not worried about the rains.
I would have to say its the other way around TT. :lol: :lol: :lol:
davisd9
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by davisd9 »

You obviously know more than the rest of us so why ask for our opinion?

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2
Turkey Talker
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Turkey Talker »

How do i obviously know more? i was only asking about what people thought this hen was up to. Not how to not preseason call or set up my feeders.
ArkansasDon

Post by ArkansasDon »

Turkey Talker wrote:I seriously have to laugh at all of this preseason calling hatred. Turkeys vocalize each and everyday with familiar birds and strangers..if turkeys cannot find eachother, which happens frequently, they just go about there day with no bother. I think you guys are giving these turkeys too much credit. They are stupid pea brained birds that do not act or think about acting, they simply react to stimuli. Humans try to analyze too critically and end up losing the battle with these dumb birds. birds will get shot at one day and return to the same set up 2 days later.
I dont know were you get your information or you are self taught, but you have no clue what you are saying. I am NOT trying to put you down or make you look bad, I'm simply saying you are so far off the mark about the wild turkey. "Stupid Pea Brain", you better think long and hard on that. That bird will make more hunters go home with "puzzled bewildered look,& their pride stripped from them. Col Tom Kelly puts it best "The wild turkey possesses a remarkable ability to turn arrogance into hopelessness."
Turkey Talker
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Turkey Talker »

ArkansasDon wrote:
Turkey Talker wrote:I seriously have to laugh at all of this preseason calling hatred. Turkeys vocalize each and everyday with familiar birds and strangers..if turkeys cannot find eachother, which happens frequently, they just go about there day with no bother. I think you guys are giving these turkeys too much credit. They are stupid pea brained birds that do not act or think about acting, they simply react to stimuli. Humans try to analyze too critically and end up losing the battle with these dumb birds. birds will get shot at one day and return to the same set up 2 days later.
I dont know were you get your information or you are self taught, but you have no clue what you are saying. I am NOT trying to put you down or make you look bad, I'm simply saying you are so far off the mark about the wild turkey. "Stupid Pea Brain", you better think long and hard on that. That bird will make more hunters go home with "puzzled bewildered look,& their pride stripped from them. Col Tom Kelly puts it best "The wild turkey possesses a remarkable ability to turn arrogance into hopelessness."
You obviously didn't read my post. humans over analyze everything they do in life. they wonder why they are bewildered when a pea sized brain animal outsmart them. I have picked up a lot of tips from great hunters along the way, some even on this website. your opinions always try to force ideas on people, and just like your religion you are wrong again. think about what you are saying here. you obviously have no clue what you're talking about or the intelligence to comprehend what I'm saying. the reason why you get out Smarted is because you over analyze the situation.
davisd9
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by davisd9 »

Turkey Talker wrote:
ArkansasDon wrote:
You obviously didn't read my post. humans over analyze everything they do in life. they wonder why they are bewildered when a pea sized brain animal outsmart them. I have picked up a lot of tips from great hunters along the way, some even on this website. your opinions always try to force ideas on people, and just like your religion you are wrong again. think about what you are saying here. you obviously have no clue what you're talking about or the intelligence to comprehend what I'm saying. the reason why you get out Smarted is because you over analyze the situation.
According to what you listed for team set up you have only killed two in the last three years, and not more than one in a single year. Maybe you need to start analyzing a bit more or bring your intelligence to the level of listening to those trying to help you.

Turkey Talker
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Turkey Talker »

According to what you listed for team set up you have only killed two in the last three years, and not more than one in a single year. Maybe you need to start analyzing a bit more or bring your intelligence to the level of listening to those trying to help you.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2[/quote]
I have been hunting turkeys for 16 years. I have tagged out and limited out every year accept for the last three years because only being able to hunt 2 days or less a week during bird season because of work and college. Not to mention the new hunting in florida the last 3 seasons. I have founds birds, gotten screwed up by monsoon rains, idiots on public land, and fwc officers interrupting my hunts 3 times. Regardless, i have killed 2 birds in three seasons on public land that only 22 mature toms are taken from each year. You do the math. At 100 hunters per day for an entire season.
ArkansasDon

Post by ArkansasDon »

Turkey Talker wrote:
ArkansasDon wrote:
Your clueless. :lol:
guesswho
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by guesswho »

After growing up there and knowing a little bit about the area, I still say she has started laying :lol:
Double Naught Spy!
RCD's Owner----------------Badonka Deke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff-------------Lighter Than HTL Shooter
The Storm Whistle Prostaff
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey Calls Prostaff
Turkey Talker
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Turkey Talker »

[/quote]
I dont know were you get your information or you are self taught, but you have no clue what you are saying. I am NOT trying to put you down or make you look bad, I'm simply saying you are so far off the mark about the wild turkey. "Stupid Pea Brain", you better think long and hard on that. That bird will make more hunters go home with "puzzled bewildered look,& their pride stripped from them. Col Tom Kelly puts it best "The wild turkey possesses a remarkable ability to turn arrogance into hopelessness."[/quote]
You obviously didn't read my post. humans over analyze everything they do in life. they wonder why they are bewildered when a pea sized brain animal outsmart them. I have picked up a lot of tips from great hunters along the way, some even on this website. your opinions always try to force ideas on people, and just like your religion you are wrong again. think about what you are saying here. you obviously have no clue what you're talking about or the intelligence to comprehend what I'm saying. the reason why you get out Smarted is because you over analyze the situation.[/quote]

Your clueless. :lol:[/quote]

Your hopeless, only thing u did was try to bash my thread. Go read your mother goose story bible.
Turkey Talker
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Turkey Talker »

guesswho wrote:After growing up there and knowing a little bit about the area, I still say she has started laying :lol:
:lol:
davisd9
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by davisd9 »

Turkey Talker wrote:According to what you listed for team set up you have only killed two in the last three years, and not more than one in a single year. Maybe you need to start analyzing a bit more or bring your intelligence to the level of listening to those trying to help you.

I have been hunting turkeys for 16 years. I have tagged out and limited out every year accept for the last three years because only being able to hunt 2 days or less a week during bird season because of work and college. Not to mention the new hunting in florida the last 3 seasons. I have founds birds, gotten screwed up by monsoon rains, idiots on public land, and fwc officers interrupting my hunts 3 times. Regardless, i have killed 2 birds in three seasons on public land that only 22 mature toms are taken from each year. You do the math. At 100 hunters per day for an entire season.[/quote]

That is a paragraph full of excuses!
Turkey Talker
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Turkey Talker »

Paragraph full of facts, you cant kill turkeys if they are not there.
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

Im giving this thread :thumbleft: :thumbup:
Shooter
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Shooter »

Dang T T, What have you stirred up now,.... You ain't shootin turkeys at a quarter mile, with a 22 again are you???

Return to “Gobbler Talk”