what would you suspect

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
Cont520

what would you suspect

Post by Cont520 »

guesswho wrote:After growing up there and knowing a little bit about the area, I still say she has started laying :lol:
X2 only reason she would isolate herself
Double beard guide service LLC
BrentM

what would you suspect

Post by BrentM »

Turkey Talker don't you hunt Green Swamp? 22 turkeys sounds like an incredibly low number of birds checked in over the course of a season for 50,000 acres.
Turkey Talker
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: what would you suspect

Post by Turkey Talker »

BrentM wrote:Turkey Talker don't you hunt Green Swamp? 22 turkeys sounds like an incredibly low number of birds checked in over the course of a season for 50,000 acres.
Yes, last year only 31 birds were harvested, 22 were mature toms. Very low numbers.
Turkey Talker
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Turkey Talker »

Shooter wrote:Dang T T, What have you stirred up now,.... You ain't shootin turkeys at a quarter mile, with a 22 again are you???
:lol: I might have to give that a try. Lol
TS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by TS »

Shooter wrote:Dang T T, What have you stirred up now,.... You ain't shootin turkeys at a quarter mile, with a 22 again are you???
Maybe he missed this weeks showing of weed wars on tv :dontknow:
"Better being 30 minutes early than 5 minutes late"
hawglips
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by hawglips »

Since some turkeys have started breeding already as far north as Monterey CA, it is certainly not much of a stretch to think some hens may be laying already as far south as central FL.
gblack15

Post by gblack15 »

:happy1: :happy1: :happy1:
For since the creation of the world God’s invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature—have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that people are without excuse. Romans 1:20
drenalinld
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by drenalinld »

Nesting would be my guess also.

I don't think preseason calling has nearly the impact that most give it credit for. Hunters crashing about the woods bumping birds has more impact on turkey behavior in my opinion.
milkman

Post by milkman »

I hunt green swamp also and the harvest numbers were low. I think its a little misleading though. It is so easy to kill a bird in there and never check it. I would bet a lot of birds get killed and not checked.
BrentM

what would you suspect

Post by BrentM »

I looked. Seems like the harvest numbers the state came up with for green swamp were around 80. No way to know how many birds were taken of a place that big really
guesswho
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by guesswho »

It might be because Green Swamp had two check stations, or at least they used to.
Double Naught Spy!
RCD's Owner----------------Badonka Deke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff-------------Lighter Than HTL Shooter
The Storm Whistle Prostaff
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey Calls Prostaff
Turkey Talker
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Turkey Talker »

they still have 2 check stations. both keep their numbers the same on the board. That 80 number is fake.
I was there the last weekend of season and the numbers were 31.
Sure people can leave and not checkout. but I doubt that many do it.
MKW
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by MKW »

It is exactly as I suspected. :toothy7:

Mike
Ultimate Predator
Turkey Talker
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Turkey Talker »

MKW LOVES TO :toothy7:
Gobbler
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Gobbler »

Only Yankees check game at green swamp. That might explain the discrepancy in figures? :mrgreen:
BrentM

what would you suspect

Post by BrentM »

Not trying to argue with you by the way. Those are just the numbers put out by the Florida FWC on their website.
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

I think its a little more complex..

She is a mature hen and for three springs "Tommy Three Toes" has courted her throughout the spring. Her and "TTT" have always had something special, "TTT" has always shown her more attention than the other hens.. When she yelped his snood would grow, he would immediately go into strut. Her and "TTT" really had something.

Having a great hatch last year, this year there was abundant hens around when flocks broke off. This spring was different however, instead of "TTT" showing her the courting and attention he had in the past, "TTT" was now showing interest in the abundant jennies in his presence. She thought it would change but after weeks it had not and the night before she went to roost thinking "if he does not show me the attention and love in the morning I am leaving" Upon flydown the perverted "TTT" once again went to strutting around the young hens leaving your hen on the outside of the flock.. She could not take it anymore and decided to leave, hoping "TTT" would take notice, but he did not.

When she heard you yelping, she was seeking a wing to cry on. Hopefully a hen with a similar situation in which to converse their hate of Gobblers and how they are just concerned with one thing..
SCtrkyhntr

Post by SCtrkyhntr »

ICDEDTURKES wrote:I think its a little more complex..

She is a mature hen and for three springs "Tommy Three Toes" has courted her throughout the spring. Her and "TTT" have always had something special, "TTT" has always shown her more attention than the other hens.. When she yelped his snood would grow, he would immediately go into strut. Her and "TTT" really had something.

Having a great hatch last year, this year there was abundant hens around when flocks broke off. This spring was different however, instead of "TTT" showing her the courting and attention he had in the past, "TTT" was now showing interest in the abundant jennies in his presence. She thought it would change but after weeks it had not and the night before she went to roost thinking "if he does not show me the attention and love in the morning I am leaving" Upon flydown the perverted "TTT" once again went to strutting around the young hens leaving your hen on the outside of the flock.. She could not take it anymore and decided to leave, hoping "TTT" would take notice, but he did not.

When she heard you yelping, she was seeking a wing to cry on. Hopefully a hen with a similar situation in which to converse their hate of Gobblers and how they are just concerned with one thing..
Now that is some serious suspecting! :thumbup:
Turkey Talker
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Turkey Talker »

Heck yeah!!
Sloppy_Snood

Post by Sloppy_Snood »

You are all wrong. :o

It is a lesbian hen I tell ya! :D
"You've gotta be original, because if you're like someone else, what do they need you for?"- Bernadette Peters
The SPURSUADER

Post by The SPURSUADER »

LOL I usually do alot of reading and Not much Posting on this site but I will say that Turkeys are NOT DUMB!!! I have a Video on YouTube where I filmed 3 Gobblers on the 15th of Oct while Bow-Hunting and they Gobbled like Crazy that morning until the rain came here in NC and several Days that week I witnessed those 3 Gobblers determine the dominance issue and even with Hens Yelping and Cutting each morning, The Gobblers had every opportunity to Gobble at them but didn't and the morning that they were Gobbling, I didn't see any hens...I think they were determining the Who's who of the woodlot....I have killed my share of Gobblers over the years and through Trail and Error I am convinced that Calling to Turkeys before your planned ambush does more harm than Good..I mean they are a group in the timber like a Church Choir and when someone new shows up with a different voice...(YOU) ...They notice...The Best approach is a Stealth approach when scouting or Hunting!!!
SPURSUADER Custom Calls...Call'em in and Carry'em out!!
gblack15

Post by gblack15 »

The SPURSUADER wrote:LOL I usually do alot of reading and Not much Posting on this site but I will say that Turkeys are NOT DUMB!!! I have a Video on YouTube where I filmed 3 Gobblers on the 15th of Oct while Bow-Hunting and they Gobbled like Crazy that morning until the rain came here in NC and several Days that week I witnessed those 3 Gobblers determine the dominance issue and even with Hens Yelping and Cutting each morning, The Gobblers had every opportunity to Gobble at them but didn't and the morning that they were Gobbling, I didn't see any hens...I think they were determining the Who's who of the woodlot....I have killed my share of Gobblers over the years and through Trail and Error I am convinced that Calling to Turkeys before your planned ambush does more harm than Good..I mean they are a group in the timber like a Church Choir and when someone new shows up with a different voice...(YOU) ...They notice...The Best approach is a Stealth approach when scouting or Hunting!!!

I agree, I never call until I am setup and read to hunt. I also never use a turkey call as an early season locator. The only exception to that is occasionally I use a Gobble call right before dark when I am roosting a bird for the next day.
For since the creation of the world God’s invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature—have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that people are without excuse. Romans 1:20
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

If a man blows a turkey call and sounds very much like a turkey, a turkey comes in and the man has already left, does the turkey know it was a man blowing a turkey call and not a real turkey.
guesswho
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by guesswho »

ICDEDTURKES wrote:If a man blows a turkey call and sounds very much like a turkey, a turkey comes in and the man has already left, does the turkey know it was a man blowing a turkey call and not a real turkey.
No.
Double Naught Spy!
RCD's Owner----------------Badonka Deke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff-------------Lighter Than HTL Shooter
The Storm Whistle Prostaff
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey Calls Prostaff
Sloppy_Snood

Post by Sloppy_Snood »

ICDEDTURKES wrote:If a man blows a turkey call and sounds very much like a turkey, a turkey comes in and the man has already left, does the turkey know it was a man blowing a turkey call and not a real turkey.
The turkey simply asks the man standing in the forest if it was a turkey or a man.

Whcih man you say?

You know.....the one standing there waiting for the tree to fall in order to determine whether or not he really heard it because his wife was not there to tell him he heard it. Dann u dumm Tommy. :lol: :violent3:
"You've gotta be original, because if you're like someone else, what do they need you for?"- Bernadette Peters

Return to “Gobbler Talk”