Disturbing Trend

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Disturbing Trend

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

Drenalinds deer thread kinda spawned this but it is not directed at him.. Cruising numerous forums from turkey, fowl, deer etc, I have noticed a trend that bothers me. As deer season dawned and threads popped up with various members kills, it seems as if unless folks shot a 180 inch buck they feel a need to apologize for their kill.

Now obviously those whom have killed these deer are obviously proud of their accomplishment and animal, but feel a need to add: "Not my biggest", " A good one for (enter state)", "Thought he was bigger", "Not the one I was after", etc.

The grip of antler insanity has an obvious grip on the internet and message boards.. Be proud of your kill, screw what others think about your decision to pull the trigger on a particular animal..
Treerooster

Re: Disturbing Trend

Post by Treerooster »

I'm proud. :mrgreen:

But if you look close enough he IS an 8 pointer...eh? :D

It was cool hunt with the weather and all. One of my best memories deer hunting.

But I do agree with your point. Many on the forums like to brag at what great hunters they are. Like to be part of an elite group. And that is easier done on a computer than in real life.

I think the majority of hunters still relish the hunt though. For various reasons, such as comradery, the challenge, or just getting outdoors.
Last edited by Treerooster on November 26th, 2012, 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gobbler
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Gobbler »

In the south over the years I have seen deer hunting ruined by the trophy club mentality. I won't ever hunt where I can't choose what I shoot. I have seen guys act like they lost a family friend or worse at the skinning rack trying to justify killing a really nice Buck. "OH MAN guys". I thought he was bigger. I had only a split second. I would have never shot that deer. I feel terrible. ETC.
I don't care what anyone thinks about the deer I kill. I kill what works for me depending on where I'm hunting. I always compliment others kills.
You make a good observation. I thought that was only down here.
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

Treerooster wrote:
It was cool hunt with the weather and all. One of my best memories deer hunting.

Ever since about 99 I passed up 1.5 yr old bucks, but I will state i have moments of weakness..

Back one year when I was a serious waiter of goats I had a moment of weakness. That bow season I had passed up 40-50 opportunities at bucks including this one but on opening day of firearm I could not contain myself. Opening day in Michigan is like no other, a rich deep storied tradition. On this particular opening day I was setting outside as large wet snowflakes continued to accumulate throughout the morning.

Mid morning I caught movement in the spruces and I saw a small basket rack.. There was no containing myself, the snow, the lore of opening day it was textbook.. That buck worked through nose to the ground and I shot him.. I was extremely happy with my basket 6. It wasn't the fact I killed one it was that feeling when ya see something, the timing is right and you are compelled to pull the trigger.
drenalinld
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by drenalinld »

I agree with your point and I definitely let it get in my head way too much. I want to shoot mature bucks being at least 4.5 for me not anyone else. If they have huge chest and neck I am way more proud of that than antlers. I had to pull the jaw bone on the last one I shot to determine if it was 1.5 or 2.5. I do wish I had let him go, but I will enjoy eating him.
timbrhuntr
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by timbrhuntr »

I have to say I agree. Its sad for me to say but I don't even post my buck kills anymore for this reason. I only sometimes post a doe harvest now but even that can get some people going. :roll:

I have a buddy in Texas where some 170-180 are considered cull deer. I have never had an interest to hunt there. I now people will laugh at this or not believe it but another buddy regularly shoots deer that are 170 or more and he has never even kept a rack. He shoots what comes in and always seems to shoot big deer. I know this will get shot down but we usually shoot deer for the meat and not for the size of their antlers. Silly eh !

Hey Treerooster I think I shot that guys twin brother.
Struttinhusker

Post by Struttinhusker »

I always die laughing when I watch some of the hunting shows where someone who has probably paid a lot for the privilege sits in a deluxe enclosed elevated stand and glasses the various bucks who wander onto the food plot like a herd of Angus cattle. They carefully evaluate each buck's rack and debate whether one is or is not a shooter. Then the proud hunter poses with his "trophy" which will then be prominently displayed on his wall. I consider a 2.5-year-old or 3.5-year-old I shoot in natural surroundings on my farm more of a trophy.
vaturkey
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by vaturkey »

My Biggest Buck :thumbup:

A Great One For Va. :thumbup:

I Knew He Wasn't Bigger :thumbup:

This Is The One I Was After :thumbup:

Took this buck to the taxidermist last week & Im proud of him ! :thumbup:
Last edited by vaturkey on November 26th, 2012, 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
guesswho
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by guesswho »

I don't deer hunt much any more. The day I make excuses for killing an animal is the day I'll quit deer hunting all together. My goals change from hunt to hunt. I might pass a 140" deer this week and kill a 1 1/2 year old four point next week. It all depends on what I want to do at that moment. I hunt for me, so whatever I decide is whats going to go down. And I won't make excuses either way.

There's nothing wrong with holding out for a bigger buck, but there's nothing wrong with shooting a buck that someone else passed on either.
Double Naught Spy!
RCD's Owner----------------Badonka Deke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff-------------Lighter Than HTL Shooter
The Storm Whistle Prostaff
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey Calls Prostaff
vaturkey
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by vaturkey »

guesswho wrote:I don't deer hunt much any more. The day I make excuses for killing an animal is the day I'll quit deer hunting all together. My goals change from hunt to hunt. I might pass a 140" deer this week and kill a 1 1/2 year old four point next week. It all depends on what I want to do at that moment. I hunt for me, so whatever I decide is whats going to go down. And I won't make excuses either way.

There's nothing wrong with holding out for a bigger buck, but there's nothing wrong with shooting a buck that someone else passed on either.
So Ronnie does that mean you would smoke a Jake ? :thumbup:
Turkey Talker
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Turkey Talker »

Kill em all and be proud. Well, Unless its a jake.
guesswho
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by guesswho »

vaturkey wrote:
guesswho wrote:I don't deer hunt much any more. The day I make excuses for killing an animal is the day I'll quit deer hunting all together. My goals change from hunt to hunt. I might pass a 140" deer this week and kill a 1 1/2 year old four point next week. It all depends on what I want to do at that moment. I hunt for me, so whatever I decide is whats going to go down. And I won't make excuses either way.

So Ronnie does that mean you would smoke a Jake ? :thumbup:
It's been many many years since I've killed a Jake. But all that means is that I'm many many years closer to the day I let the air out of another one.

j
Double Naught Spy!
RCD's Owner----------------Badonka Deke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff-------------Lighter Than HTL Shooter
The Storm Whistle Prostaff
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey Calls Prostaff
Grumpy
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Grumpy »

Everytime I squeeze off on that record buck, seems like a doe or fawn jumps in the way.
I was not his father but he was my son,,MAK IV, 10-15-1993 - 4-22-2007
"Rest in Peace my Little Buddy"
drenalinld
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by drenalinld »

Ricky,
How many bucks are in that pickup bed anyway??????
ccleroy

Disturbing Trend

Post by ccleroy »

The trophy mentality and commercialization of hunting are the biggest downfalls we face. You wanna see me get fired up, let someone come over to my or anyone's pickup while I'm around when I'm there and start commenting on how big he would have been or what not....I'll flip
HuntnMa
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by HuntnMa »

My buck dwarfs most online but I'll be posting pics every time I kill something and sharing my hunt....I don't care what others think...
vaturkey
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by vaturkey »

drenalinld wrote:Ricky,
How many bucks are in that pickup bed anyway??????
David

There are 2 bucks in the truck ! My SIL killed the other one which was a 9 pointer . He didn't want his picture all over the world ! LOL
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

ccleroy wrote:The trophy mentality and commercialization of hunting are the biggest downfalls we face. You wanna see me get fired up, let someone come over to my or anyone's pickup while I'm around when I'm there and start commenting on how big he would have been or what not....I'll flip
The same guy you mentioned is the one that kills a small buck each year, but his was a "scrub" "never gonna be anything" "past his prime".. :roll:

Here is one that will grind ya.. One of my best friends, nicest old farm boy you will ever meet, give ya the shirt off his back, works 7am to 7pm every single day, every other weekend off.. With 2 young kids rarely gets to hunt.. He is color blind so one night he called Sal and I to track as well as few others.. Upon recovering the 1.5 year 6 point, one of his "friends" lashed him in the manner you showed. No "great shot", "congrats" Nothing.. :argue:
Johndoe
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Johndoe »

We dog hunt here. Dogs runnin is the deal. A buck is great. A nice buck even better.
All I wanna do is hear a good race.

There are no numbers on any of my clocks below 8. Then all of a sudden, 2 days before turkey season they appear. Then right after the season they disappear.
What's up with that
savduck

Post by savduck »

I dont deer hunt hardly anymore, but when I do Im a if its brown its down guy.
ccleroy

Disturbing Trend

Post by ccleroy »

I'm always happy for anyone that kills/catches anything, probably more ecstatic than the guy who did the deed. People need to get over their ego's and misguided ideals made by "pro hunters" on tv shows just trying to sell them a product and get back to good old camaraderie and fellowship. It's the one thing I will hate missing if dog-hunting is ever outlawed, I'm a still hunter and dog hunter but just think about it the fellowship just isn't there with still hunting like it is in dog hunting unless you head to deer camp every weekend. I just wish people would use common sense, have fun, enjoy the woods and kill something.
TRKYHTR

Post by TRKYHTR »

We have a group of guys (5) that elk hunt in ID on a regular basis. 2 years ago another guy showed up that knew one of our hunting partners. He was hunting a different area and we let him come and share our camp. One of the guys in the group killed a good 5 point. Nothing huge, but he had been elk hunting for 6 years and had never killed anything. He had gotten shots, hit a couple that weren't mortally wounded etc... He was ecstatic about his Bull. The normal group of guys were all excited for him. We all always pitch in and help each other carry out each elk. This new guy shows up and started raggin on this Bull. "Oh thats a small bull", I wouldn't have shot it" etc... He almost didn't make it off the mountain. Needless to say he will never show up in our camp again. It's not easy to kill an elk. Especially a DIY public land elk. The tag is an either sex tag and a cow is a trophy. This hunting is all still hunting. No blinds, no tree stands. We do alot of buddy hunting with a shooter in front and a caller behind 50-75 yards. It's alot of fun. It's been 3 years since I've been because of other obligations. Can't wait for next Sept.

This was the Bull.

TRKYHTR
Eph 2:8-9
ccleroy

Disturbing Trend

Post by ccleroy »

Good stuff Joe, anyone should be happy with that bull.
MKW
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by MKW »

I really don't know where I fall in all this. I will not shoot a small buck. If I just want to kill a deer, I'll shoot a doe. To me, the meat from a doe is better anyway. But, this is just a personal choice and I'm happy for anyone who kills anything that THEY are proud of. And if you kill it, I think you should be proud of it.
I do, however, have a problem with guys that shoot seemingly any and every deer, just to brag on how many deer they kill in a season. It's usually those same guys that complain that there aren't any big bucks around. Around where I am, there does not seem to be any thought given to letting little bucks walk in order to grow bigger bucks. In fact, on the club I'm in, the club president bragged to me about killing 16 bucks last season and he is only 1 of 22 members on 4000 acres. IMO, that's too many deer for one person to kill in a season. NOBODY eats that much deer. I'm sure that most deer hunters would enjoy killing bigger bucks and the fact is that it only takes about 4 years of some selective harvests and restraint to have better deer.

Mike
Ultimate Predator
ccleroy

Disturbing Trend

Post by ccleroy »

Mike I agree, those guys I think are in a totally different discussion. I know a lot of them as well. One in particular in a club I'm in....I joined it primarily for the turkey hunting, they manage the property and take only bucks at the ears or better. I have no problem with it and have taken 3 does and a decent 8 of the property this season. Now the guy I'm talking about has killed 12, mostly punk bucks. This is his last season per the president.

Return to “Gobbler Talk”