Disturbing Trend

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
MKW
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Disturbing Trend

Post by MKW »

Yeah, I kinda got off on a different topic.
Bottom line...if you choose to kill it, (and every hunter has the right to choose, within the law) you should be proud of it! And I will be proud for you!

Mike
Ultimate Predator
Grover
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Grover »

MKW wrote:I really don't know where I fall in all this. I will not shoot a small buck. If I just want to kill a deer, I'll shoot a doe. To me, the meat from a doe is better anyway. But, this is just a personal choice and I'm happy for anyone who kills anything that THEY are proud of. And if you kill it, I think you should be proud of it.
I do, however, have a problem with guys that shoot seemingly any and every deer, just to brag on how many deer they kill in a season. It's usually those same guys that complain that there aren't any big bucks around. Around where I am, there does not seem to be any thought given to letting little bucks walk in order to grow bigger bucks. In fact, on the club I'm in, the club president bragged to me about killing 16 bucks last season and he is only 1 of 22 members on 4000 acres. IMO, that's too many deer for one person to kill in a season. NOBODY eats that much deer. I'm sure that most deer hunters would enjoy killing bigger bucks and the fact is that it only takes about 4 years of some selective harvests and restraint to have better deer.

Mike
Spot on! I'm with you on this one 100%
"INFIDEL"
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

TRKYHTR wrote:We have a group of guys (5) that elk hunt in ID on a regular basis. 2 years ago another guy showed up that knew one of our hunting partners. He was hunting a different area and we let him come and share our camp. One of the guys in the group killed a good 5 point. Nothing huge, but he had been elk hunting for 6 years and had never killed anything. He had gotten shots, hit a couple that weren't mortally wounded etc... He was ecstatic about his Bull. The normal group of guys were all excited for him. We all always pitch in and help each other carry out each elk. This new guy shows up and started raggin on this Bull. "Oh thats a small bull", I wouldn't have shot it" etc... He almost didn't make it off the mountain. Needless to say he will never show up in our camp again. It's not easy to kill an elk. Especially a DIY public land elk. The tag is an either sex tag and a cow is a trophy. This hunting is all still hunting. No blinds, no tree stands. We do alot of buddy hunting with a shooter in front and a caller behind 50-75 yards. It's alot of fun. It's been 3 years since I've been because of other obligations. Can't wait for next Sept.

This was the Bull.

TRKYHTR
I have only been one time..went with my dad 10 years ago to Rifle Co. any elk, is a good elk!. seen a 6x6 , inside a herd of cows, could not get a clean shot. never had another one that close and came home empty handed, but what a great time in the mountains!
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

I got to tell you..I missed a stud buck with my bow at 32 yards 3 weeks ago. this is a smaller buck, and I was more excited over this one than the 9 point 150" class buck I missed with my bow. I tell you, I fell apart on this buck and got the shakes so bad. If you wouldve been there to watch the show, you would have fell outta yer tree stand laughing at me. my only regret, I was done hunting bucks. we only got one buck tag here in Indiana.

took my dad out and put him up in my sons ladder stand this afternoon... couldnt be prouder

Shooter
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Shooter »

I think it all comes down to where you are hunting and how much time you have to hunt. And most of all, what mood you are in at the moment a buck gives you the opportunity.
I have at least 12 bucks on our property, and only one decent one, that I've seen,...lol
Four 8 pointers, three 6 pointers, and the rest young bucks.
I go every morn and eve. I walk out of the house and walk 100yds, and I'm seeing deer, so I can be very selective when you see almost everyone, everyday. I have already took an 8 and a 7, with some does, so now i am waiting on a good one.
The one in the game cam pic, has been in range several times, but I hope to let him get a little bigger before I take him. I doubt he will make it though, the surrounding farms have hunters that will kill whatever they can get thier scope on. Who knows, he might walk by one day, and I get the mood to go ahead and shoot.
Attachments
IMAG0015.JPG
IMAG0015.JPG (101.69 KiB) Viewed 2566 times
Stinky J Picklestein
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Stinky J Picklestein »

MKW wrote:I really don't know where I fall in all this. I will not shoot a small buck. If I just want to kill a deer, I'll shoot a doe. To me, the meat from a doe is better anyway. But, this is just a personal choice and I'm happy for anyone who kills anything that THEY are proud of. And if you kill it, I think you should be proud of it.
I do, however, have a problem with guys that shoot seemingly any and every deer, just to brag on how many deer they kill in a season. It's usually those same guys that complain that there aren't any big bucks around. Around where I am, there does not seem to be any thought given to letting little bucks walk in order to grow bigger bucks. In fact, on the club I'm in, the club president bragged to me about killing 16 bucks last season and he is only 1 of 22 members on 4000 acres. IMO, that's too many deer for one person to kill in a season. NOBODY eats that much deer. I'm sure that most deer hunters would enjoy killing bigger bucks and the fact is that it only takes about 4 years of some selective harvests and restraint to have better deer.

Mike
I can see that happening any place where a guy is allowed to shoot a bunch of bucks. I bet if that club president was only allowed one buck tag, he would be little more selective...AND a little more appreciative of his opportunity.
guesswho
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by guesswho »

Stinky J Picklestein wrote:I can see that happening any place where a guy is allowed to shoot a bunch of bucks. I bet if that club president was only allowed one buck tag, he would be little more selective...AND a little more appreciative of his opportunity.
Probably would just be a little quieter.
Double Naught Spy!
RCD's Owner----------------Badonka Deke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff-------------Lighter Than HTL Shooter
The Storm Whistle Prostaff
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey Calls Prostaff
3toe

Post by 3toe »

I deer hunt to pass the time till turkey season, but I do love venison backstrap. That being said, I would rather take a good 80-90lb doe as I would a buck. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't pass a shot on a buck but horns don't really interest me to fret over it. Only spurs and longbeards. I tried one time but no matter how long I bolied the horns they never were edible. A good young tender deer is better in my freezer. Plus they are easier to drag.
drenalinld
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by drenalinld »

Most guys that brag about killing big numbers are full of you know what! Most that really do kill a lot are very quiet about it. I did say most. Some are probably telling the truth. Whether you kill that many or not it is an inferiority complex to brag about it.

Joe, I am glad you guys put that clown in his place and sent him down the road. Making fun of someone else's kill is very immature and usually stems from jealosy.

It seams you guys hunt for the right reasons and I enjoy hanging out with you on the www.
Gobblerstopper

Post by Gobblerstopper »

You know it's bad when you shoot a 150"+ buck on ground that you have permission to hunt on and you get a registered letter from the owners lawyer two weeks later that says you are no longer welcome on the property.
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

Gobblerstopper wrote:You know it's bad when you shoot a 150"+ buck on ground that you have permission to hunt on and you get a registered letter from the owners lawyer two weeks later that says you are no longer welcome on the property.
mad at you for shooting small deer? :dontknow:

really stinks that it takes a lawyer to tell you that...

ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

Gobblerstopper wrote:You know it's bad when you shoot a 150"+ buck on ground that you have permission to hunt on and you get a registered letter from the owners lawyer two weeks later that says you are no longer welcome on the property.
Wait is he made because you shot what would be considered a small or young deer with potential?

If thats the case the opposite is true here. 150 is considered a true giant in my area, you would have the biggest buck shot in the county most likely.. But regardless of size whether it be 130 or 180.. I have heard of countless folks around here that shoot what is considered a big deer for here and they find themselves getting thrown off said property out of pure jealousy for the fact that they killed a good deer..
Gobbler
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Gobbler »

Andy I told you youd get run for shooting small deer.LOL :lol: :lol:

Don't tell Dean you shot that little buck. :lol:
Johndoe
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Johndoe »

3toe wrote:I deer hunt to pass the time till turkey season, but I do love venison backstrap. That being said, I would rather take a good 80-90lb doe as I would a buck. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't pass a shot on a buck but horns don't really interest me to fret over it. Only spurs and longbeards. I tried one time but no matter how long I bolied the horns they never were edible. A good young tender deer is better in my freezer. Plus they are easier to drag.
I have been sayin for years you can boil'em for 3 days but still cant eat them. Hence the name John Doe

There are no numbers on any of my clocks below 8. Then all of a sudden, 2 days before turkey season they appear. Then right after the season they disappear.
What's up with that
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

Johndoe wrote:
3toe wrote:I deer hunt to pass the time till turkey season, but I do love venison backstrap. That being said, I would rather take a good 80-90lb doe as I would a buck. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't pass a shot on a buck but horns don't really interest me to fret over it. Only spurs and longbeards. I tried one time but no matter how long I bolied the horns they never were edible. A good young tender deer is better in my freezer. Plus they are easier to drag.
I have been sayin for years you can boil'em for 3 days but still cant eat them. Hence the name John Doe

My dog really loves chewing antlers.. My excuse
Johndoe
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Johndoe »

Mine chew the legs we cut off so they can hang in the cooler. I had 9 lower legs just out the back door. My Chihuahua's could not get them thru the cracked back door.

There are no numbers on any of my clocks below 8. Then all of a sudden, 2 days before turkey season they appear. Then right after the season they disappear.
What's up with that
Stinky J Picklestein
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Stinky J Picklestein »

Tell him it was a cull buck. Everything is a "cull" buck. At least, that what I see on TV. :scratch:
YellaJacket

Post by YellaJacket »

I shoot want a want within the law. Dont care who shoots does, culls whatever. Its huntin. On that note some of the brown and down hunters are perfectly happy while others cry about not being able to shoot big bucks or not having that size animals on their huntin turf. If you fill your tags with spikes and does what could you have waited out for? If you aint lookin for horns dont sweat it. If you are then maybe save a tag and not complain. I love the ole "if I dont shoot him somebody else will".
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

YellaJacket wrote: On that note some of the brown and down hunters are perfectly happy while others cry about not being able to shoot big bucks or not having that size animals on their huntin turf.
This describes Michigan to a T.. Michigan probably has the most pressured deer herds in the country (PA Too), couple this with small parcels, rifle season during the peak of the rut, two buck tag structure. Yet there are folks in Michigan that shoot big deer each and every single year, some would say they have a superior situation land wise, but alot just rise above the odds and are great hunters.. Most folks cry about the laws and tag structure and think there needs to be a 160 behind every tree, but in reality they do not have the skills or knowledge to do what the above folks are doing every year with the same odds and thus feel they need it handed to them.

Additionally Habitat Manipulation is a very hot area in Michigan and many "land design" businesses have started. Not your till some ground plant some Buck on Bag seed and shoot big buck type manipulation. Instead folks are going high tech in the design of food plots as well as timber management, screening for stand entry and exit, building buck and doe beds, creating funnels tied to stand placement etc To increase their chances of success..

I am not big into goat hunting, but the Habitat Manipulation practices being administered intrigues me.. Most of these "secrets" and "practices" are so simple and stuff one already probably knows, but with alot of folks it takes somebody to point it all out to them..

I have had a few friends use a well known expensive land consultant.. They say once making the manipulations its amazing. There are big bucks everywhere but its about giving them every thing they need on your land, making them feel comfortable during daylight hours and making your property conducive to hunting.
savduck

Post by savduck »

It reall boils down to what it always does. Some people work harder than others to kill trophy animals. I don't care about deer hunting. I've got a 145 class 8 hanging on the wall that I outsmarted. I used to like shooting big bucks, but I also just enjoyed putting meat on the table. I was in the woods to shoot a deer. Ill kill a spike just as fast as a doe or big buck. You don't see deer here in the swamp like you would in the alphalfa fields like the west.

Our state started a 4 on one side rule for our two bucks tags.....I'm mean what does that do to our youth. When you introduce hunting to youngins it's about the harvest...no matter how many points. You want them to learn to cleanly harvest an animal. Now they have to wait on a big buck....horse poo. To many politics in deer hunting now and its spreading to turkey and ducks now to.
misfire

Post by misfire »

I will never apologize for any deer, turkey, duck, pig or person I shoot. All are trophies to me. As far as deer go, I still havent found a good recipe for antlers
GOLD HUNTER
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GOLD HUNTER »

misfire wrote:I will never apologize for any deer, turkey, duck, pig or person I shoot. All are trophies to me. As far as deer go, I still havent found a good recipe for antlers
:thumbup: YOU GOT THAT RIGHT !!!
LET'S GO TROUT FISHING
Hambone79

Post by Hambone79 »

I will shoot what i want as long as its a legal deer a spike on a WMA in florida with a bow or even a doe with a bow in florida on public land is a trophy to me and many others i know.
YellaJacket

Post by YellaJacket »

Changes are coming to my home state of Va concerning season lengths and possibly fewer tags targeting west of the blue ridge mountains. Deer herd numbers have plummeted here due to all kinds of factors from natural to poacher induced. I look forward to measures that would bring back the numbers we had in the mid 90's. Hunters are the primary key. They see first hand what should or shouldn't be killed based on deer numbers on their hunting grounds regardless of tags allowed. Id like to see fines doubled or tripled for poaching. Paying 10k out of pocket losing your gun and hunting ride will make a poacher think a little harder about what and where he shot. I was thinking today how well the bald eagle recovered after being placed on the endangered species list and the huge fine imposed for shooting one. Turning a blind eye to poaching is a major factor in declining deer numbers in our area. Most hunters here know of incidents where the number of deer killed was well over thst allowed by tags or not in season.

Return to “Gobbler Talk”