What to do.

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
Johndoe
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

What to do.

Post by Johndoe »

I have a deer I call Wooly in the back pasture. She appears to be motherless. She comes out everyday by herself and feeds on the corn and soybeans I supply. In the last month I have done a lot of sighting in of rifles for freinds and such. Here is my problem. She keeps coming out to ask what brand and caliber of rifle is being shot. It seems to slow the process and we cant see why she does this. Derrick said today that he had fired 7 rounds from his 30-06 and she never left the range. The target is 100yds from the bench but only 10 to 12 feet from the deer today. Donnie fired 3 rounds from his .50ML wednesday and she never flinched.
Any advice will be helpful.
I will set up Donnies game cam soon to get good pics so you can see her.

John

There are no numbers on any of my clocks below 8. Then all of a sudden, 2 days before turkey season they appear. Then right after the season they disappear.
What's up with that
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: What to do.

Post by Hoobilly »

wow sounds like she may have grown up there and is not bothered by the loud bangs going on.

We used to build powered parachutes and the deer that lived around us never flinched when we flew. if we flew in areas that the deer wasnt used to it, they ran big time!
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
Gobbler
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Gobbler »

It is amazing that the deer would do this. You would think she would socialize with other deer and learn some human fear. I don't have any clue what to tell you. Is she afraid of people up closer if you walk toward her?
Turkey Talker
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Turkey Talker »

She likes guns! seriously, she is either used to hearing the guns or she is deaf. Try bawling or grunting at her next time to see if she reacts.
GobbleNut

Post by GobbleNut »

My advice is too not shoot when she is between you and the target. Other than that, having a tame deer hanging around the place should be a great conversation piece for you and your buddies. If it was my place, my goal would be to see if I could eventually get her comfortable enough for me to touch her or hand feed her.
Grumpy
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Grumpy »

I would guess deaf, same reason mom and her got seperated.
I was not his father but he was my son,,MAK IV, 10-15-1993 - 4-22-2007
"Rest in Peace my Little Buddy"
Johndoe
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Johndoe »

No she is not deaf. I talk to her some and feed when she is out. She runs off but comes back. I would like to get closer and have her trust me but someone might shoot her if she is not on my property. Cool though.
My question was a touch of a joke as I will just watch her till she changes her routine.
I have had bucks scrape 23 steps from the front porch and I consider that tresspassin and taunting and a price must be paid.
She will get a free pass.

John

There are no numbers on any of my clocks below 8. Then all of a sudden, 2 days before turkey season they appear. Then right after the season they disappear.
What's up with that
Shooter
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Shooter »

John, it sounds to me you just have a very friendly and trusting deer.
I used to have one do the same thing many years ago that would hang out at the shooting range.
When I used to compete, I shot almost every day, and the local deer seemed to get used to the noise.
I remember shooting and turned around not 75yds, deer were standing there watching.

The one time that really sticks out is,... a friend was going on a guided hunt out west somewhere, and wanted his 300 mag re-sighted in for a new load. I have a backstop made of a concrete block foundation filled with sand, maybe 5 ft wide. After firing a few rounds, we walked down to check the holes. Here is this young doe standing directly behind the target 20 yds, getting a drink from the small pond, not paying us any more attention than a dog would. She hung around all that summer, but never really noticed her after that one year. Oh well.
redarrow
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by redarrow »

Sounds like a live decoy. Maybe she will bring her boyfriends around.
Put you plans in the nail scarred hands.

Return to “Gobbler Talk”