Kill Whitey!!!

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Kill Whitey!!!

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

Last weekend we started seeing a snow around town.. We hunted the field with him last Saturday and had him just inside gun range 3 times but could not suck him to the center leaving one guy with shooting because the mojo was up as ducks were around and geese hate mojos.. All throughout the week we watched as he bounced field to field with the Canadas.

Well Much to my surprise last night Whitey and about 500 Canadas ended up in one of our fields.

As daylight broke we had a few small flocks of mallards commit to one side of the spread giving a couple guys shooting..

Shortly after the Canadas started to fly and we had 9 down in 2 flocks.. About that time my bud Jon remarked " we need to watch for that snow". As almost on cue, Sal looked over her shoulder and said there he is..

Two big flocks on the horizon with Whitey being in the second group... The first large group swung out in front and used the 8 mph breeze and sat down 15 yards out from the blinds.. Whiteys group made one pass and than circled out in front to get a better approach.. All at once the 25 or so geese all bowed up and all 5 of us were focused on whitey knowing our last Canada would be easy.. As Whiteys group hit the 25 yard mark I screamed "kill whitey" and 5 guns unleashed on one 3 lb goose and he quickly came crashing down as a buddy filled his Canada limit upon the falling of Whitey.

We do not see many snows or blues here, but Whitey is a Ross goose, basically a smaller version of a snow.. Pretty cool in the past 12 years all of the geese we have taken, this is only the 2nd white one.. I am gonna mount him for a buddy..

We actually have a field tomorrow with a snow as well. Not to confident, they have been in and out of this field the last couple a days..

Probably better pics to come of Whitey, buddy took pics on his super duper camera but has yet to email.

TRKYHTR

Re: Kill Whitey!!!

Post by TRKYHTR »

Congrats on a great shoot and nice ross.

TRKYHTR
Eph 2:8-9
HuntnMa
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by HuntnMa »

awesome hunt by the looks of it
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

Good job!

years ago, we had a snow with geese and to far to shoot. I kept at it with the grounds and they swung around the lake and slowly circled back around. a group of 4 300 yards away popped up thru their blind and pounded at them..

clean miss, I knew them geese were outta there and swung my 10 about 2 feet in front of the snow, bang splash.

I have only killed 2 snows in all the years I have hunted.

would love to hit Arkansas or Mo for a snow hunt one day.
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
TS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by TS »

i thought this was going to be a black panthers post. :)
"Better being 30 minutes early than 5 minutes late"
devastator
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by devastator »

cool pic.lets see the mount when its done!
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

hoobilly wrote:Good job!

years ago, we had a snow with geese and to far to shoot. I kept at it with the grounds and they swung around the lake and slowly circled back around. a group of 4 300 yards away popped up thru their blind and pounded at them..

clean miss, I knew them geese were outta there and swung my 10 about 2 feet in front of the snow, bang splash.

I have only killed 2 snows in all the years I have hunted.

would love to hit Arkansas or Mo for a snow hunt one day.

I forgot to add.....when my snow hit the water, one of the guys in the other boat flipped me off. I guess that was their snow?
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
misfire

Post by misfire »

We get very few of them here. I have been on decent hunts in AR, one filed had around 6,000 birds in it when we got there, and more were coming in as we got ready. Nipples a limit quick. My favorite has to be Tue specklebelly, that is the finest eatting waterfowl I have ever had. Finally got one last year
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

We hunted a field Sunday morning and night and this morning that is chuck full. Yesterday morning it was dense fog.. We probably had 250 mallards dive bomb us, we shot like complete and udder crap.. The geese never flew due to the fog hanging on to 10:30..

Sal and I went back last night and stood in the 4 rows of standing corn.. We probably had 400 mallards in gun range, was again shot like crap.. Than the geese flew, one small flock sucked in to 20 yards and Sal knocked down her two and me one.. Next flock Bang done with geese.. Go to start picking up and the sky opened up.. 5-6 hundred honkers in wave after wave.. Every flock drifted over our heads at 10 feet and lighted 50 yards behind us..

Not wanting to burn the field we layed in the corn for an hour and 30 minutes till they left.

This morning a buddy and I went to the same field.. Had a few flocks of mallards light, once again shot like crap.. Than the first flock of honkers ended our morning with our 4..
dirt road ninja

Post by dirt road ninja »

When I do goose hunt we see a lot of snows and speckled belly's if we killed a Canadian it would be a trophy.
GOLD HUNTER
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GOLD HUNTER »

that be some good eating !!!! :thumbup:
LET'S GO TROUT FISHING
misfire

Post by misfire »

Many years ago, the GA DNR decided to introduce the Canada goose to GA. pA DNR told them not to do it and if they did, they would regret it. They went ahead anyhow and those things are a pain in the rearend down here. You can't walk barefoot through most of the parks due to goose poop, and many eco systems have been altered or destroyed by geese roosting in the areas. If they could do that with specks and pintails though, you would never hear me complain.
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

misfire wrote:Many years ago, the GA DNR decided to introduce the Canada goose to GA. pA DNR told them not to do it and if they did, they would regret it. They went ahead anyhow and those things are a pain in the rearend down here. You can't walk barefoot through most of the parks due to goose poop, and many eco systems have been altered or destroyed by geese roosting in the areas. If they could do that with specks and pintails though, you would never hear me complain.
I am on the other side of the fence on this.. Say 12 years ago when I started hunting geese our local population was tremendous. For the Sep opener in our scouting area we had 5-6 K local resident honkers. Fast Forward 9-10 years. The same area and even bigger as we have had to expand our horizons to stay in geese during the two week season, it now holds 7-8 hundred. I have watched roosts that each year would hold 4-5 hundred birds for the opener now hold 0, roosts that held 1000, now 200.

When I continually cry and whine about it, folks look at Sal and I and say "You killed em all".. This could not be farther from the truth.. What has happened in our state is about 5 years ago the DNR loosened the process of getting "egg shaking" permits as well as handing over the "Goose round ups and euthanize" duties to private entities and only a meager permit is required.

A perfect example of this is a small lake and campground that Sals family has camped on for years. Each summer it would hold 400 or so birds.. A few summers ago the first time they went sure 400 birds, 2nd time not a bird. Sal asked the park ranger what happened and he told her a goose round up had been done.. This 400 birds is about double what we would kill in the two week nuisance season and why I feel hunting in no shape or form is the culprit. I have other theories as well.. I feel so strongly about this if the anti's formed a rally at one of these roundups, I would most likely be at the rally side by side with them, not supporting there organization, but the cause..

No other game animal is subjected to such widespread removal practices. How would you feel if the flock of turkeys that frequented your land in the spring happened to winter in a subdivision, and instead of using non lethal means of removal or deterrence the DNR or a private entity came in and shot all 80-100 turkeys that makes up your hunt-able population?

I basically feel if you live on a lake, it is part of living on the lake or move. If you build a golf course and keep the grass mowed around the ponds, expect to have geese, or do not dig the ponds. And like the hypothetical turkey example above, if you do not like them in your neighborhood, take your bird feeders down. Much like I live in a high bear density zone, if a bear continually came in and smashed the trash can, I would not call the DNR to have it shot, I chose to live in the wilderness on the edge of a swamp.
misfire

Post by misfire »

That is a shame. I hate waste of any kind, not to mention what that waste does for an enjoyable hunting opportunity. The population here has expanded so greatly that the entire month of Sept is goose season, 5 bird limit per day. Same bag limit during normal duck season as well. Our biggest obstacle is the limited hunting areas, the geese are more adapted to front yards and parks
drenalinld
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by drenalinld »

Here in AR we have snow goose hunts after duck and Canadian seasons go out at the end of January. There are no limits and you can remove your plugs. Most change to a high capacity magazine. To be successful usually requires a TON of decoys, but it can be a lot of fun.

Specks are what I like to kill, personally. My good buddy from South LA calls them "ribeye in the sky"! They are good eating.

Great hunt. Congrats on the snow.

Return to “Gobbler Talk”