Where were you

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Where were you

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

I was down at college, got out of class and one of my room mates was sitting watching TV and said "we are getting bombed".. Than I sat and watched glued to the television for the rest of the day wondering what was next.. I almost drove home that day for the familiarity and security that family and home bring..

Not the biggest fan of Alan Jackson, but when his song came out.. He did a wonderful job describing that empty, scared, un-knowing feeling that everyone across the country was feeling.

Thank you to all our members whom are current or past military an also to the first responders, even Camoman.. :old_glory:
Hognutz
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Where were you

Post by Hognutz »

I was at work when my boss came and told me about the plane hitting the building in New York. The first thing out of my mouth was, "Probably a towelhead." He thought it was just a misguided pilot. He did not mention the size of the plane, nor the building that was attacked. The rest is history.

I watched some of the ceremonies on the tube, this morning, and had tears rolling down my face. The thoughts of people jumping to certain death from the top of those buildings, the people trapped in the inferno, and the ones that died during the collapse are memories that I will never forget. They all went to work that morning with plans for the day/evening with loved ones, only to be taken from them without a final good-bye..Breaks my heart...

God D@mn the Tailiban.. :old_glory:
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
I am the man from Nantucket.
“Leave the gun, take the cannoli” -Clemensa
When attacked by a group of clowns...Go for the Juggler!!
Jaybird
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Jaybird »

On the 10th blew the tranny on my SUV heading to Canada pulling my boat. Limped into Duluth, got a room, and next day bought a new SUV. Hooked up the boat and continued on my way. First plane hit when I was approaching Intl. Falls, and second after I crossed into Canada, when they shut down the border. Spent most of that day watching TV at the resort about WTF was going on before going fishing.
ImageImageImage
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

Heres a little about my day..

You remember where you were when it all began? Before that fateful day? How we lived unknowingly that such hatred could exist in day like that? Such a beautiful morning. You remember what you were doing? where you were going? What was changed that morning? How your life had been forever etched with a memory of destruction and death unlike anything in our country since Pearl Harbor. Do you remember?
I remember.....flying from Midway airport and not needing to show ID to get my eticket. Being able to carry my old pocket knife with me. Having a layover in Nashville. Calling the office and talking to Julie Wilson, and then speaking with my cousin Jeremy about a small plane that flew accidently into the WTC.
I remember the flight from Nashville to Birmingham only taking 25 minutes after the Captain announced it would take 45.
I remember getting off the plane and walking down the corridor calling the office and speaking with July and Jeremy again....feeling uneasy about what was going on. Finding a cleaning room for the blankets and pillows and the women watching a black and white tv. Seeing the 2nd WTC tower being hit by a huge plane. Knowing that all Hell was breaking loose.
I remember standing there a wondering how could this be? What is going on? listening to the news reporters talk about the airports being shutdown. Realizing I needed to get my car rental asap. I was first in line. Then hundreds after me hoping they could get one also so that they could go on with their day.
Then I went to my business meeting. Having lunch at logans Steakhouse in Oxford Al. Not being able to talk business, but watching Fox News with the minute by minute reports. Knowing that my heart wasnt in talking business. We both shook hands and parted ways.
I remember going back to try and talk to the rental car company, National Guard had the airport blocked off and was kindly told the airports locked down. I asked him what to do with the car, he had no clue. So, I drove home. And listening t...o the news all the way. Oh yes, I remember.
The sacrifice, the loss of Freedom, the screams and crying. People wondering if it would keep happening, if there would be more attacks. I remember Pres Bush looking uneasy,
but doing what we expected him to do.
I remember talking to God. Praying for the families of those who died, lost and wounded. Praying that we would come together and we did.
I remember...
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
Gobbler
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Gobbler »

I was in my warehouse. I was watching and talking to the Raymond Lift Technician doing a PM on one of the lifts. His phone rang and he said the trade centers in New York are on fire. We went into the conference room and turned on the TV. All of us including the Tech. watched in total disbelief. I was very upset and will never forget the images and the awe full footage . Especially the people jumping. It was truly a horrible time. And I will not forget. I will always hate those that support this kind of cowardice terrorism.
Splittoe

Post by Splittoe »

I was a senior in high school. After it happened for the rest of the school day we watched the news in each channel. Didn't really grasp it till later that evening.
FuzzSawyer

Post by FuzzSawyer »

On my way to work I heard it on the news that the first plane had hit the WTC. I went straight to the big screen on our residential unit. I spent most of the morning watching with one of my probation kids, we were both in complete disbelief.
redarrow
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by redarrow »

I was working on the Ruth Rylander Center for abused women and children. There was maybe 10 of us from area churches. Pastor Chris pulled up and gathered us around him and broke the news. We joined hands and prayed.It was a very somber ride home.God Bless America !
Put you plans in the nail scarred hands.
TS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by TS »

I was landscaping a clients house and when I was told I told my client what happened and we all watched the second plane hit WTC2 and them both collapse in shear disbelief.
"Better being 30 minutes early than 5 minutes late"
Stinky J Picklestein
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Stinky J Picklestein »

I watched a few minutes of news coverage before I left for work about first plane strike. I learned about the second plane hit from the radio on my way to work. I got into the office just in time to watch them collapse. A lady down the hall from me had a son working in one of the buildings next to WTC. She was hysterical for a while but was finally able to get a hold of him...thankfully.
gblack15

Post by gblack15 »

I was on an early morning flight from Orlando to Vandenberg AFB California, go the hotel and turned the TV on while I unpacked and saw the whole thing unfolding. Tried to call my wife back in Florida and couldn't get a phone line for over 2 hours. Drove to the Base later in the day to check in for work and they had the gates blocked with tanks and missile launchers. Spent the next 10 days waiting on a flight home and eventually had to drive the rental car back to Florida.
For since the creation of the world God’s invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature—have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that people are without excuse. Romans 1:20
Turkey Talker
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Turkey Talker »

I was on watch in Dam Neck, Va. Buddy told me to check the news right after first plane hit. We watched the whole thing unfold. We got deployed 2 weeks later to Kandahar then on to the Sharif region of Kabul. I will never forget 9-11
RIP
ccleroy

Where were you

Post by ccleroy »

Installing a A/C unit in Santee SC....when it happened I swear my heart stopped, never forget....never surrender.....
pedro
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by pedro »

Teal hunting on the backwaters of the Mississippi. Did not really know what happened till I turned the radio later that afternoon.
savduck

Post by savduck »

I was on lunch break discussing some construction schedules with my co worker Joe P. at the island West Golf course clubhouse in Bluffton, SC. We built houses in there and they had a TV where we could watch sports center. I remember it like yesterday. We thought it was a hoax at first, then it settled in. We called the office and pretty much the whole office had shut down. We stayed at lunch for two hours just watching everything.
Last edited by savduck on September 12th, 2012, 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fl panhandler

Post by Fl panhandler »

My wife and I were on the way to Alabama to bury my best friends Dad. It was a very sad day all around. We were kind of in shock, but had to press on.
Rick
TRKYHTR

Post by TRKYHTR »

I was traveling to a river to Salmon fish. We heard it on the radio and when we stopped to get gas the station had it on and we actually saw the towers fall. My 2 buddies and I were near an Air Force base and was wondering if they were going to get bombed. Very sad and somber day. Now I'm almost angry at what our country has done with the president we have.

TRKYHTR
Eph 2:8-9
dirt road ninja

Post by dirt road ninja »

I was supposed to be at work, but called in to sight fish a few reds with a fly rod. A buddy of mine and I had no clue what was going on, we were having a good time with out a care in the world. It wasn't till I got to work after lunch that I heard about it.
hawglips
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by hawglips »

I was at work. A friend called and said to turn on the news. I was watching when the 2nd plane hit.
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

I was at work and heard about the first plane to hit the WTC. We turned on the TV and saw the 2d tower hit. My secretary's dad had been at the train station in the WTC 30 minutes before the plane struck. Two days later my youngest brother died unexpectedly on the date of my daughter's birthday.

Return to “Gobbler Talk”