which oaks drop first and when

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
gblack15

which oaks drop first and when

Post by gblack15 »

Anyone ever see a book or paper the maps out when the different oaks start dropping acorns?
For since the creation of the world God’s invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature—have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that people are without excuse. Romans 1:20
vaturkey
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: which oaks drop first and when

Post by vaturkey »

Here in Central Va. the white oaks are starting to drop a few acorns. Once we have a good frost the red oaks will start to drop. Most of the time anyway. With all this crazy weather we have had who knows. Just the other day I noticed a CORN TREE really starting to drop.

vaturkey :struttin:
GOLD HUNTER
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GOLD HUNTER »

vaturkey wrote:Here in Central Va. the white oaks are starting to drop a few acorns. Once we have a good frost the red oaks will start to drop. Most of the time anyway. With all this crazy weather we have had who knows. Just the other day I noticed a CORN TREE really starting to drop.

:lol:
LET'S GO TROUT FISHING
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

vaturkey wrote:Here in Central Va. the white oaks are starting to drop a few acorns. Once we have a good frost the red oaks will start to drop. Most of the time anyway. With all this crazy weather we have had who knows. Just the other day I noticed a CORN TREE really starting to drop.

Yeah our pines drop "Pinecorns" and we have alot of the Mapple trees..
ArkansasDon

Post by ArkansasDon »

usually White Oaks 1st here in Arkansas Sept. then follows Red & Post Oaks. Since no rain their pretty scares around here.
Camo Solutions http://www.camo-solutions.com
Red Hawk Archery Pro Staff http://www.redhawk-archery.com
Gobbler
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Gobbler »

Corn has been dropping all over Central Florida. Walmart has it on sale for 8.97 40lb bag. But I don't need corn cause I scout and interpret sign. Just by going and looking in the woods I can tell what sex , what day, what time of day and approximately how big the deer is. I just pull the card and view it.
gblack15

Post by gblack15 »

My experience has been that the red oaks start dropping first, and the whites within 2-3 weeks. Most seem to last @ 3 weeks except for the big white oaks and Turkey oaks that can drop until almost January. The white oaks will drop every year and the red skip years. Crops also seem to be in a 2-4 year cycle of heavy and light but that is really affected by weather and rain.

I am really trying to create some sort of list that can be used to decide how/where to plan WMA hunts. I am thinking if you could pick the first oak to start dropping and guestimate what would drop next you could really narrow your scouting time. Put this together with a good understanding of soft mast and you will really up your chances on the high pressure areas.

This has been my strategy for the last 7-10 years and has paid off with quite a few respectable deer in the freezer. So I though this year I will keep a tree log of what drops when and where.
For since the creation of the world God’s invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature—have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that people are without excuse. Romans 1:20
HuntnMa
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by HuntnMa »

the live oaks are strting to droP WTf
savduck

Post by savduck »

Down here in GA, the swamp chestnuts ( I call em white oaks) and love oaks start dropping the earliest usually mid September. Then the red Oaks, over cups, etc start dropping.
BrentM

Post by BrentM »

Chestnut oak is first here, then the red oak subspecies with the larger acorns, then white oak/post oak and finally the red oaks with smaller acorns.
Johndoe
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Johndoe »

HuntnMa wrote:the live oaks are strting to droP WTf
Up here the deer dont like the Live Oaks. They will eat them when there is nothing else, but I have trees that the acorns lay under untouched. Thousands of Live Oak acorns go untouched.

There are no numbers on any of my clocks below 8. Then all of a sudden, 2 days before turkey season they appear. Then right after the season they disappear.
What's up with that
HuntnMa
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by HuntnMa »

Johndoe wrote:
HuntnMa wrote:the live oaks are strting to droP WTf
Up here the deer dont like the Live Oaks. They will eat them when there is nothing else, but I have trees that the acorns lay under untouched. Thousands of Live Oak acorns go untouched.
I agree.....they're eating them now because the Laurels haven't started to drop yet but when the other start dropping they'll let em rot...
Spuriosity
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Spuriosity »

White oaks in WNC start dropping in Sept. Then red oaks and chestnut oaks in Oct. The deer will leave all other food sources including corn to eat the white oaks. They like red oaks next, and rarely eat the chestnut oaks on the properties I hunt.
2ounce6s

Post by 2ounce6s »

White oaks first here(upstate SC), usually late September. Red oaks next then later on water oaks right through December. Dropping white oaks get hammered early and are usually gone in a couple weeks. When they are droppin it's very consistent hunting. The reds can be good to hunt if you can find a preferred tree, there usually is one. When those play out it's time to hunt water oaks here. The area I hunt has privet hedge choked creek bottoms. It serves as great late season bedding cover and browse. The deer work back and forth from the privet hedge to the water oaks. It's been the most reliable hunting for me beyond the rut phase. When I hunted the lowstate here last fall the overcups (very similar to whites) were dropping heavily the first week in October. I've heard their live oaks drop earlier.
Turkey Talker
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Turkey Talker »

stone rd calls

Post by stone rd calls »

I'm in middle ga. the white oaks are droping now, the squirrels are testing them and droping some also.

gary

Return to “Gobbler Talk”