Hand your deer to age it or not.

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
timbrhuntr
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Hand your deer to age it or not.

Post by timbrhuntr »

Well I just got all my tags for deer season in the mail so the hunt is just around the corner.

So for a lively discussion when you kill your deer do you hang it to age the meat or not?

I usually hunt in the early bow season and the temps are so high that I basically have to process it the day I get it. If its latter in the season and I still have a tag and kill one I will hang it unless it is freezing out.

I honestly can't say I have noticed any difference in the taste of the meat. How about you?
guesswho
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Hand your deer to age it or not.

Post by guesswho »

Our processor hangs the meat for four or five days. It tastes better to me than meat from other processors around that don't do this.
Double Naught Spy!
RCD's Owner----------------Badonka Deke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff-------------Lighter Than HTL Shooter
The Storm Whistle Prostaff
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey Calls Prostaff
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

Timbr, we do the same as you.. We do not gut a deer anymore its a waste of time.. We Hang, skin, quarter and than put in large refrigerators to age as quarters. Some days we cut them up the next day, sometimes 4-5 days cannot say I have ever noticed a difference in taste or texture. Some folks still claim up our way they notice a difference.. But heck we are shooting corn fed and alfalfa fed whitetails with most if not all being 2.5 years or younger..
Turkey Talker
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Turkey Talker »

Let em hang in the sun for 2 days. Once you see maggots you know your doing it right.
barry

Post by barry »

Since we have a cooler we let them hang for a minimum of 10 days.
Aged meat is so much better tasting.
gblack15

Post by gblack15 »

I usually Quarter mine and put them on ice for 4-5 days. Keep the out of the water and packed good almost as good as hanging.
For since the creation of the world God’s invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature—have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that people are without excuse. Romans 1:20
GOLD HUNTER
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GOLD HUNTER »

I have all my meat cut by a butcher, he hangs the meat for about five days. :thumbup:
LET'S GO TROUT FISHING
guesswho
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by guesswho »

I forgot to add my processor hangs it with the hair on.
Double Naught Spy!
RCD's Owner----------------Badonka Deke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff-------------Lighter Than HTL Shooter
The Storm Whistle Prostaff
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey Calls Prostaff
Grumpy
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Grumpy »

Turkey Talker wrote:Let em hang in the sun for 2 days. Once you see maggots you know your doing it right.

What are you trying to do, get the job half done, hang them by the head in a sunny location, it will take about a week when the carcass will naturally seperate from the head and fall to the ground, it takes more than 2 days for the maggots to hatch and not a good idea to eat the fly eggs, after they hatch at least you can wipe them off. Scrub down the carcass with a 75% purex to water mix this will remove the slimey juicey stuff and kill any maggots that went in deep. Good Luck
I was not his father but he was my son,,MAK IV, 10-15-1993 - 4-22-2007
"Rest in Peace my Little Buddy"
devastator
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by devastator »

this is interesting to hear of everyones different ways.i work at a processing plant and i will tell you the best way i like to do it,will let ya know how after i hear of some more ways.ya probably wont believe it!
timbrhuntr
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by timbrhuntr »

I also like to hear the different ways that people deal with processing their wild game meat and maybe learn something. It will be interesting to hear how a pro does it.

I agree with Grumpy. You let it hang until the head naturally separates from the body. I thought everybody knew that one.
Turkey Talker
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Turkey Talker »

Grumpy wrote:
Turkey Talker wrote:Let em hang in the sun for 2 days. Once you see maggots you know your doing it right.

What are you trying to do, get the job half done, hang them by the head in a sunny location, it will take about a week when the carcass will naturally seperate from the head and fall to the ground, it takes more than 2 days for the maggots to hatch and not a good idea to eat the fly eggs, after they hatch at least you can wipe them off. Scrub down the carcass with a 75% purex to water mix this will remove the slimey juicey stuff and kill any maggots that went in deep. Good Luck

sounds like that would be nice and tender...no seasoning needed :thumbup:
HuntnMa
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by HuntnMa »

YEP UP TO 5 DAYS on ice
Spuriosity
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Spuriosity »

I hang mine in a cool room (refrigerated to 37 degrees) for 10 days, head down, hide on. I remove the inner loin when I field dress the animal to prevent them from drying out and eat them after spending a few days in the fridge. I think the hanging process tenderizes the meat by stretching the muscle fibers apart (in addition to being tenderized by the aging process). Venison (particularly backstrap) that has been hung, seems more tender to me than venison that has only been aged. My backstraps are always more tender than the inner loin that has not been hung.
el diablo
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by el diablo »

Spuriosity wrote:I hang mine in a cool room (refrigerated to 37 degrees) for 10 days, head down, hide on. I remove the inner loin when I field dress the animal to prevent them from drying out and eat them after spending a few days in the fridge. I think the hanging process tenderizes the meat by stretching the muscle fibers apart (in addition to being tenderized by the aging process). Venison (particularly backstrap) that has been hung, seems more tender to me than venison that has only been aged. My backstraps are always more tender than the inner loin that has not been hung.
X2 Exactly how we do it.
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

I cut my backstraps and hindquarter steaks with a fork whether they have been hung 1 or 7 days.. Than again our deer have food available to them other deer do not..

Return to “Gobbler Talk”