Well at least its not China !!

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
timbrhuntr
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Well at least its not China !!

Post by timbrhuntr »

I know this a U.S. site with a few Canadians etc that visit here. So don't take this the wrong way. I also do a lot of hunting in the U.S. and have many friends there. In January our Ontario government outsourced all our hunting licences to a U.S. company in Tennessee. Created a bit of a controversy here with questions about privacy etc. What would you think and feel about it if you found out that your State DNR outsourced all your hunting license purchases to another country? I don't feel as bad since its the U.S. but it does bring up some interesting questions especially since the U.S. company has access to all our personal info and can be subject to different laws than we have in Canada.Worst part is we have no choice in this other than to not purchase a license I guess. Ahh well on a good note I did get both my turkey licenses in the spring and just received my 2 doe and one buck tag for the fall deer season.
wiltznucs

Re: Well at least its not China !!

Post by wiltznucs »

I can't see why the Canucks would be upset. There's nearly a 100% probability that the computer they used to sell you the permit and the one you used to place your post on this forum were made almost entirely of parts of Chinese and Indonesian origin.

The point being, the essence of capitalism and the free market economy is competition. If the Chinese make a comparable product for less then the American customer is the ultimate victor. This increases consumer buying power and also curbs inflation. Is this un-American? I'd argue that buying the lower priced import is the most American and economically sound decision.

That said, to answer your question. Having done my international business studies in China my only apprehension would be fraudulent use of our personal information. But to be brutally honest if they wanted that information they would get it whether we outsourced it to them or not.
redarrow
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by redarrow »

To answer your question 'I would be pissed". Not too many years ago there was a big stink when the DNR here bought Toyotas,
Put you plans in the nail scarred hands.
Grumpy
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Grumpy »

We out sourced the office of the President of the United States to Kenya.
I was not his father but he was my son,,MAK IV, 10-15-1993 - 4-22-2007
"Rest in Peace my Little Buddy"
wiltznucs

Post by wiltznucs »

Grumpy wrote:We out sourced the office of the President of the United States to Kenya.
His opponent wont release his tax record because he outsourced his banking to Switzerland and the Caymans.
:colors:
savduck

Post by savduck »

I think it sucks. They will say it is for your benefit, when in fact it was for theirs.

Several years ago we could buy our licenses at Walmart and other approved retailers. They were printed up on heavy duty water proof paper. you paid the license fee and no other fees. The State thought that it was better to out source to probably the same company....of course now you can go online, 24 hours a day and get a license. This was the benefit. What they didnt tell you was that they did it to save the state money on the water proof paper, the maintainance of the machines, and the kick back they recieve for going with this company. they also didnt tell you that now you get to print out your own license of regular old cheap printer paper and pay and additional 3.50 handling fee to the new out sourced management. i think it sucks.
timbrhuntr
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by timbrhuntr »

I think that most of us will agree that our governments try to do these things to save money and reduce taxes. Just that most of my hunting buddies are upset because all of their personal information is being turned over to a foreign company and kept in that country and we had no say in the matter. I agree that most the stuff we use is produced in China etc but that wasn't the point. What right does the government have to give all of your info to a foreign company. If I want to do this on my own by buying a license or getting an ATF form 6 or whatever that's my call but what right does the government have to do it for me. Also like I said I am not saying anything about the U.S. it just happens to be the country that they are using for this. I guess it just kinda pissed me off and I wondered what others from another perspective would think.
Turkey Talker
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Turkey Talker »

redarrow wrote:To answer your question 'I would be pissed". Not too many years ago there was a big stink when the DNR here bought Toyotas,
Regardless at least Toyotas are put together here....It stimulated our economy sure enough. :dontknow:

It sux for yous guys up in canada, but we appreciate the work. :salute:
wiltznucs

Post by wiltznucs »

I remember buying my first Toyota in 2001, the Tundra was assembled in the US and had more parts of American origin than the F-150.
wiltznucs

Post by wiltznucs »

savduck wrote:I think it sucks. They will say it is for your benefit, when in fact it was for theirs.

Several years ago we could buy our licenses at Walmart and other approved retailers. They were printed up on heavy duty water proof paper. you paid the license fee and no other fees. The State thought that it was better to out source to probably the same company....of course now you can go online, 24 hours a day and get a license. This was the benefit. What they didnt tell you was that they did it to save the state money on the water proof paper, the maintainance of the machines, and the kick back they recieve for going with this company. they also didnt tell you that now you get to print out your own license of regular old cheap printer paper and pay and additional 3.50 handling fee to the new out sourced management. i think it sucks.
Don't worry, within the next decade you wont be carrying a license or a credit card any longer. All of this info will be on your cell phone.
timbrhuntr
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by timbrhuntr »

wiltznucs wrote:I remember buying my first Toyota in 2001, the Tundra was assembled in the US and had more parts of American origin than the F-150.
Ya but those parts probably came from Canada for the F 150 :violent1: :roll: :D
wiltznucs

Post by wiltznucs »

Timbrhuntr, I'll be glad when the US starts importing Tim Horton's coffee.
timbrhuntr
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by timbrhuntr »

wiltznucs wrote:I'll be glad when the US starts importing Tim Horton's coffee.
For quite a while Tim Horton's was headquartered in the U.S. They were bought in 1995 by Wendy's I believe they just recently moved their corporate ownership back to Canada. They have been trying to put Timmies in the U.S. with out much luck. I know of a few across the border in Michigan.
wiltznucs

Post by wiltznucs »

Living in FL and seeing all the Canadian snowbirds and tourists here I think one would make a killing in the right location.
Grumpy
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Grumpy »

We need that Baby Duck wine down here too.
I was not his father but he was my son,,MAK IV, 10-15-1993 - 4-22-2007
"Rest in Peace my Little Buddy"
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

Maybe I am the only one but when I see U.S.. based companies building products in Canada it really does not get under my skin.. Not like as if they produced products on other continents..

As far as your info on the licenses, heck with the way use other countries across the ocean for customer service and such it could be much worse.
timbrhuntr
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by timbrhuntr »

ICDEDTURKES wrote:Maybe I am the only one but when I see U.S.. based companies building products in Canada it really does not get under my skin.. Not like as if they produced products on other continents..

As far as your info on the licenses, heck with the way use other countries across the ocean for customer service and such it could be much worse.
I agree however they have been given all of my personal info by the Ontario government without my knowledge or consent. I guess you wouldn't have a problem with all your personal info being given to a Canadian company and thus subject to the rules and laws of Canada without your knowledge or consent. I guess maybe I am missing something.
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

Tim Hortons...very good honey crullers. absolutely my fav donut. coffee aint bad either.

Theres a couple in Ohio, and a few in WV when I travel I stop at.
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
hawglips
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by hawglips »

wiltznucs wrote:I remember buying my first Toyota in 2001, the Tundra was assembled in the US and had more parts of American origin than the F-150.
It has more than the Chevy Silverado also.
Gobblerstopper

Post by Gobblerstopper »

I think all the Tundras are assembled about 30 miles from my house. Several of my friends make good money putting them together and Toyota supports a lot of community events.

Our governor leased a highway to Saudi Arabia? Figure that out.

As far as licenses outsourced, if it's done online it's open to anyone with the right resources that wants it bad enough.
handcannon

Post by handcannon »

Outsourcing from Canada to the U.S. and even visa-verse is one thing. I would not be as upset with that as I would the outsourcing to countries overseas such as India and such for cheap labor and materials cost. I cant stand calling customer service any longer for anything. I can understand how you would rather keep something like you described in Canada for the good of your own economy. There is just so much that we dont know as consumers that does take place behind our back or that we just dont care to see because of better prices. I like being able to buy a pair of $20 work jeans off the shelf at Wal-Mart and just choose not to look at the made in China tag inside. Most of us are guilty of that so it's partly all our fault.
Turkey Talker
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Turkey Talker »

go to walmart. 96% is made in china. Elmer's glue is made in USA!!!!!

Return to “Gobbler Talk”