Probably been asked before

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
guesswho
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Probably been asked before

Post by guesswho »

BrentM wrote:As far as the jake goes, I have a picture of him somewhere and I've been looking for it anyway so I'll post it on here if I can find it............nub spurs, jake tailfan, and 9" beard
Please do. That would be a first for me, I'd have loved to seen him in person.
Double Naught Spy!
RCD's Owner----------------Badonka Deke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff-------------Lighter Than HTL Shooter
The Storm Whistle Prostaff
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey Calls Prostaff
JUGHEAD

Post by JUGHEAD »

BrentM wrote: If I'm not mistaken the last turkey my pal Jughead killed this past season was a 2 year old and I'm pretty sure he had 11" of beard too. Seems like mountain turkeys usually have a little better beards though.
Just looked at my journal. 10 5/8" heavy beard, weighed 15#, and had 3/4" triangles for spurs. Pretty sure he was a 2 year old.
BrentM

Probably been asked before

Post by BrentM »

Glad you kinda halfway validated that for me Jug........I had guessed 11" but I guess I was off just a hair. I remember us talking about him being all beard after you killed him.

Guesswho I've never hunted down that way, but I've seen lots of pictures on aldeer and other places from turkeys down south and I would agree that it does look like those birds down there dont have as much beard length or mass as most of the ones up here do, especially the young ones. I'll try to get over to my moms house over the weekend and find the pic of that jake. It's an old Polaroid 20+ years old, but it's my first turkey and I'd love to be able to find it just for the sentimental value.
Stinky J Picklestein
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Stinky J Picklestein »

I like it all, but all I really look for is a bird dumb enough to let me slap a tag on his leg. A paintbrush and some hooks are nice, but the memories are the best part.
dirt road ninja

Post by dirt road ninja »

They all good.
timbrhuntr
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by timbrhuntr »

N2deer

Post by N2deer »

I like the spurs and a bloody head.

No pun intended.
Shooter
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Shooter »

I like the ones that can't keep their mouth shut and don't stop gobbling to every sound made.
If he's got a 8 inch or better, he's gonna get shot at. Check the spurs later.
I killed my longest spurs, 1 9/16th at less than 10 yds with a 20, and could not see his spurs.
pdqt

Post by pdqt »

Who doesn't like both, a long thick beard, and long sharp spurs. That being said, if he gobbles and shows up, he is not likely to live much longer. I HAVE BEEN KNOWN TO SHOOT DOWN THE SIDE OF BIG OAK TREES, WHEN THE TURK WAS OUT OF SIGHT OF THE EYE LOOKING DOWN THE GUN!! HAVE BEEN KNOWN TO MISS ALSO!!

Don't use any kind of sight, other than bead, one gun gets used for everything. :violent1:
HuntnMa
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by HuntnMa »

Spurs !!!
Turkey Talker
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Turkey Talker »

50/50 If he has a nice 10 inch or longer rope he is dead. I care more about spurs 60/40....not to sure.... As long as i kill a bird "seal the deal" then i am fine!
2ounce6s

Post by 2ounce6s »

I like dead turkeys. The deader I can make them the better as long as I fooled them into being dead. Standing on one's head elevates me to around a 300' higher elevation instantly. I then like to hold them up by the feet and carry them around while whistling dixie and other tunes I like. I really like the turkey stink on my pocket knife where I've recently cleaned one. I usually just keep beards and spurs tucked away in boxes but I have been known to put fans and wings together for a display. When I get a bucket full of spurs I am going to start up the internet Q&A forum area "Ask Dr. 2ounce6s" again. Till then please just PM questions, I'm writing a book and would like to use them.
Grunt-N-Gobble

Post by Grunt-N-Gobble »

For me, long spurs are an added bonus. If I can see them, I'll most certainly look to see how long they are but its not a deciding factor for me.

If 2 birds come in of equal beard length, then I look @ the spurs if possible. But if I can't see them, I'm shooting which ever one has the nicer beard.

Return to “Gobbler Talk”