Probably been asked before

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
savduck

Post by savduck »

But what do yall like. Them long beards or those long sharp spurs.

Im a spur man myself. When Im holding a set of spurs over 1 1/8. I know Ive outwitted an old wiley bird. Love getting them long spurred gobblers
Gobblerstopper

Re: Probably been asked before

Post by Gobblerstopper »

Spurs, spurs, spurs.
Gobbler
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Gobbler »

I like the spurs also.
guesswho
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by guesswho »

If they have either one they need not walk in front of me, but once the have quit flopping the first thing I check is spurs.
Double Naught Spy!
RCD's Owner----------------Badonka Deke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff-------------Lighter Than HTL Shooter
The Storm Whistle Prostaff
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey Calls Prostaff
Spuriosity
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Spuriosity »

Long sharp hooks.
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

Boobs I like Boobs.. Big Ol boobs.. Its all about the meat..

No I like spurs and boobs.. I like the big ol long ones.. But I like the hooked ones too, I got a couple sets right at an inch that are curved like fish hooks that make you wonder.
savduck

Post by savduck »

ICDEDTURKES wrote:Boobs I like Boobs.. Big Ol boobs.. Its all about the meat..

No I like spurs and boobs.. I like the big ol long ones.. But I like the hooked ones too, I got a couple sets right at an inch that are curved like fish hooks that make you wonder.

:thumbright:

Man this is my kind of crowd
timbrhuntr
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by timbrhuntr »

Hognutz
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hognutz »

I guess that I'm in the minority here. If the bird has a nice beard, I kill him. Then I check the spurs. I have not, nor will I ever, pass on a bird with a long beard and short spurs. More often than not, where I hunt, and because I don't see like I used to, the spurs are not visible until I ground check them. Of course, long spurs are always nice, but it determines nothing on the birds that I kill..Until after they are dead.
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
I am the man from Nantucket.
“Leave the gun, take the cannoli” -Clemensa
When attacked by a group of clowns...Go for the Juggler!!
devastator
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by devastator »

im with hognutz.i love long spurs but i shoot any long beard that is in range and hope for the spurs when i get to it.
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

Hognutz wrote:I guess that I'm in the minority here. If the bird has a nice beard, I kill him. Then I check the spurs. I have not, nor will I ever, pass on a bird with a long beard and short spurs. More often than not, where I hunt, and because I don't see like I used to, the spurs are not visible until I ground check them. Of course, long spurs are always nice, but it determines nothing on the birds that I kill..Until after they are dead.
No your right, I dont target long spurs and any bird does not deserve to live past two.. But I think is what gives you that feeling is the question..

Speaking of which I have a story from this spring of a long spurred gobbler in which one day I killed him and thought it was him but wasnt him as proven later. :banghead:
Hognutz
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hognutz »

ICDEDTURKES wrote:
Hognutz wrote:I guess that I'm in the minority here. If the bird has a nice beard, I kill him. Then I check the spurs. I have not, nor will I ever, pass on a bird with a long beard and short spurs. More often than not, where I hunt, and because I don't see like I used to, the spurs are not visible until I ground check them. Of course, long spurs are always nice, but it determines nothing on the birds that I kill..Until after they are dead.
No your right, I dont target long spurs and any bird does not deserve to live past two.. But I think is what gives you that feeling is the question..

Speaking of which I have a story from this spring of a long spurred gobbler in which one day I killed him and thought it was him but wasnt him as proven later. :banghead:
I see what you're saying. I may have read more into the question than I should have.
How about this.. After the bird is dead, do you prefer a long beard or long spurs?
My answer would be...A long beard with kick a$$ spurs.
Hows that for straddling the fence!!

Can't wait to hear your story!!
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
I am the man from Nantucket.
“Leave the gun, take the cannoli” -Clemensa
When attacked by a group of clowns...Go for the Juggler!!
3toe

Post by 3toe »

Right now a really long beard gets my attention. A beard that he has groomed and taken care of for 4 or 5 years. I havent killed him yet, but I have a couple I have hunted and seen that have at least a 13" beard. I'm not so sure gobblers with beards over 12" aren't as rare a birds with 1 1/2 hooks.
drenalinld
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by drenalinld »

SPURS! I can grow a beard. I do like a big fat chest too! I shot one thus past Spring with a very short beard but I could see hooks!
GOLD HUNTER
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GOLD HUNTER »

here in the mtns of va. most of the birds we kill have longer beards and not much on spurs, so we look at the beards. :thumbup:
LET'S GO TROUT FISHING
BrentM

Post by BrentM »

Any wild turkey you can trick good enough to get into shotgun range is a trophy; that's one thing that makes turkey hunting so great.......but still the first thing I do every time I kill one is grab that leg so I can see what kind of spurs he's got

Beards are cool but they really don't mean anything. I've killed 2 year olds that had heavy 11" beards. The first turkey I ever killed was a jake but he had a 9" beard
You kill one with some good hooked spurs though you know you've tricked a grown one. That's what I like
FuzzSawyer

Post by FuzzSawyer »

timbrhuntr wrote:Image
Nice! Im a spur guy! Boobs are nice also.
:D
TRKYHTR

Post by TRKYHTR »

But what if they have a long thick beard and sharp hooked spurs.

TRKYHTR

Eph 2:8-9
hawglips
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by hawglips »

Joe, that's a beast.

After I pick him up, I'll look at his spurs first. But I can't help but look at and admire all his feathers, beard, fan color, caruncles and everything else.
vaturkey
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by vaturkey »

SPURS ! :thumbup:
guesswho
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by guesswho »

BrentM wrote:Beards are cool but they really don't mean anything. I've killed 2 year olds that had heavy 11" beards. The first turkey I ever killed was a jake but he had a 9" beard
Brent, no offense intended, but I'd have to question both birds. I guess it's possible for 2 year old to have an 11" beard and a Jake having a 9" beard. But it's more likely they were older than first thought. In fact a lot of what people call two year olds are actually older birds with shorter spurs for one reason or another.
Double Naught Spy!
RCD's Owner----------------Badonka Deke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff-------------Lighter Than HTL Shooter
The Storm Whistle Prostaff
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey Calls Prostaff
hookedspur
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by hookedspur »

Big Ole Hookedspurs of course :wink:
Spuriosity
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Spuriosity »

I agree. I rarely see the spurs before I have the bird in hand. I don't pass any longbeards, and if two come in together, the one with the best beard gets shot.
BrentM

Post by BrentM »

No way to know for sure guesswho, I tried to look down their beaks to see their jawbones but I couldn't figure out how.

Seriously though any turkey hunter in the world would have called them 2 year olds.......Little triangle shaped spurs nothing else they can be. I was with a buddy of mine a few years ago and he killed a double-bearded monster.......two big swinging beards that looked like they were both about 10" and heavy............another 2 year old. If I'm not mistaken the last turkey my pal Jughead killed this past season was a 2 year old and I'm pretty sure he had 11" of beard too. Seems like mountain turkeys usually have a little better beards though.
As far as the jake goes, I have a picture of him somewhere and I've been looking for it anyway so I'll post it on here if I can find it............nub spurs, jake tailfan, and 9" beard
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

savduck wrote:But what do yall like. Them long beards or those long sharp spurs.

Im a spur man myself. When Im holding a set of spurs over 1 1/8. I know Ive outwitted an old wiley bird. Love getting them long spurred gobblers
I like them long beards that have long sharp spurs.. :thumbup:
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/

Return to “Gobbler Talk”