Hooks Calls

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
Turkey Talker
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Hooks Calls

Post by Turkey Talker »

I ordered 7 different diaphragm calls from Hooks just to try them out about 2 months ago.
they all had very small tape on them, so small in fact i could not get any good air pressure on them, so they sounded horrible.
I was really bummed out, thinking i had just pissed $45 to the wind.
I was just about the throw them out, when i decided to email Scott from Hooks and ask him about it.
Needless to say, Scott sent me large tape + extra tape for all of my diaphragm calls at NO COST!!!
What a great guy and great company!
Kudos to the great customer service and speedy response and 2 day delivery on the mouth call tape!
I couldn't have asked more from them! :thumbup:

-Turkey Talker
Gobblerstopper

Re: Hooks Calls

Post by Gobblerstopper »

Scott's a pretty good guy.

Can't wait till he comes out with a couple of new calls. :D
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

how did they do for you after you taped them???

I must say I need to order some tape of mine. I found that I can run them, but after a while I can't be consistent when they warm up and are more pliable. I was just gonna order new calls, but taping them will be a cheaper alternative!
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

Hey guys I was never a fan of the small tape either, lately for some reason it works for me..

But just a heads up, if you call to order calls tell him you want larger tape or if you order off the site, you can specify that you want normal tape..

Gobblerstopper- Their are 3 new calls on the way, 2 of which are very different from anything in the line.. I received them about a month ago and usually I am very critical, these 3 are smokin..
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

When can we order the smoking new calls?????

devastator
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by devastator »

ICDEDTURKES wrote:Hey guys I was never a fan of the small tape either, lately for some reason it works for me..

But just a heads up, if you call to order calls tell him you want larger tape or if you order off the site, you can specify that you want normal tape..

Gobblerstopper- Their are 3 new calls on the way, 2 of which are very different from anything in the line.. I received them about a month ago and usually I am very critical, these 3 are smokin..
i can't wait to try them.
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

hoobilly wrote:When can we order the smoking new calls?????
Ive got to believe sometime in Jan or Feb..
Turkey Talker
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Turkey Talker »

5 of them sound great. the other 2 are still ok but not of my taste. personally when a call is SO raspy and deeply cut that you cannot control the "soft spot" before the rasp, im not to fond of them. I like 3 or more reeds on a call, they sound more dynamic and pure because the rasp can be controlled to get whining and other things rather than having to pop in 4 different calls to get 6 different sequenced sounds. i typically like to carry 3 calls, one to do tree calls,kee's and cackles..one for excitement and cutting and all around heated gobbler pounding, and another one for purrs, clucks, whining, and soft nice old ***** yelps.
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

Turkey Talker wrote:5 of them sound great. the other 2 are still ok but not of my taste. personally when a call is SO raspy and deeply cut that you cannot control the "soft spot" before the rasp, im not to fond of them. I like 3 or more reeds on a call, they sound more dynamic and pure because the rasp can be controlled to get whining and other things rather than having to pop in 4 different calls to get 6 different sequenced sounds. i typically like to carry 3 calls, one to do tree calls,kee's and cackles..one for excitement and cutting and all around heated gobbler pounding, and another one for purrs, clucks, whining, and soft nice old ***** yelps.
5 out of 7 is pretty good when it comes to mouth calls.. 2 of the newer calls have a real clear front end..

On the rasp.. Man I laugh so hard sometimes working the booth, folks always come up and go "what is your raspiest call"
Stinky J Picklestein
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Stinky J Picklestein »

ICDEDTURKES wrote: On the rasp.. Man I laugh so hard sometimes working the booth, folks always come up and go "what is your raspiest call"
That's when you put a novelty call together with five or six inch-long strips of latex hanging off the end of the reeds, and tell 'em it's your new "Lip Tickler" call. ;)
Gobbler
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Gobbler »

I like em Raspy , sassy and yet high pitched with a low tone myself. Or if they sound like a Turkey hen is even better.
Hognutz
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hognutz »

gobblerD wrote:I like em Raspy , sassy and yet high pitched with a low tone myself. Or if they sound like a Turkey hen is even better.
Are you talkin' about women or turkey calls?? :lol: Mike
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
I am the man from Nantucket.
“Leave the gun, take the cannoli” -Clemensa
When attacked by a group of clowns...Go for the Juggler!!
devastator
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by devastator »

i see the new calls are on scotts web site,can't wait to try mine.
Stinky J Picklestein
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Yeah...the Executioner 2 looks interesting. Is it just different latex, or something?

ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

Its probably my favorite call in the line.. Its a 3 reed and not a 2.5 like the original.. Its top reed is a little thicker with a lighter latex reed in the middle and proph on the bottom.. I really like calls with under reeds of proph.. It is going to be a great hunting call, very versatile, loud to soft, clear to raspy..
I blew the thing non stop for a month.. Now I cant find the damn thing, I think it is wedged in a couch cushion :banghead:
Stinky J Picklestein
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Well that's just great...I stocked up on a few of the originals last year. Now I gotta buy more! :x :lol:
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

Stinky J Picklestein wrote:Well that's just great...I stocked up on a few of the originals last year. Now I gotta buy more! :x :lol:
Its worth a shot Stinky.. Its a good call, whether it works for you or not, well heck thats mouth calls.. The new eradicator is a good call as well. Its got a really pretty plain yelp, some lighter cutting, tree yelps and a good cluck and purr.. Not something you are gonna hammer cutting and running, but plenty loud enough for hunting..

I have not run the enforcer.. I gave Scott the idea but it was one red reed over two proph with the Batwing.. I built and ran that call a bunch last spring.. I sent MKW a couple last year.. Scott decided to add a reed of latex to the middle..
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

ICDEDTURKES wrote:Its probably my favorite call in the line.. Its a 3 reed and not a 2.5 like the original.. Its top reed is a little thicker with a lighter latex reed in the middle and proph on the bottom.. I really like calls with under reeds of proph.. It is going to be a great hunting call, very versatile, loud to soft, clear to raspy..
I blew the thing non stop for a month.. Now I cant find the damn thing, I think it is wedged in a couch cushion :banghead:
you sure someone didn't hide it? :blackeye: lol

just kidding!
Looks like i gotta get to ordering some calls..

ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

hoobilly wrote:
ICDEDTURKES wrote:Its probably my favorite call in the line.. Its a 3 reed and not a 2.5 like the original.. Its top reed is a little thicker with a lighter latex reed in the middle and proph on the bottom.. I really like calls with under reeds of proph.. It is going to be a great hunting call, very versatile, loud to soft, clear to raspy..

just kidding!
It was Christmas Day.. :banghead: I felt really comfortable with that call, I had run it enough that i knew what was coming out each breath I blew into it.. Its a shame thats for sure, that that call may never see the woods.. I might send out an Amber Alert. .
Gobbler
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Gobbler »

I can't wait to visit and buy some calls at the convention.
Moore

Post by Moore »

I ordered some hooks for the upcoming calling competetion here in Minnesota and I cant wait to get them.When I ordered it for scot he was going to regular tape on it for me.
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

ICDEDTURKES wrote:
hoobilly wrote:

just kidding!
It was Christmas Day.. :banghead: I felt really comfortable with that call, I had run it enough that i knew what was coming out each breath I blew into it.. Its a shame thats for sure, that that call may never see the woods.. I might send out an Amber Alert. .
so glad I didn't read this last nite....i for sure wood have woke everyone up!

devastator
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by devastator »

i think i look forward to the new stuff coming out as much as i do the season.i think i just said last week i was all set for the season for calls lolol.not
devastator
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by devastator »

tom did ya find your call?lol thats funny.didn't run it after drinkn beer did you?
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Has any one tried the Phantom call with the ghost cut. I like a ghost cut call I can do all I need spring and fall with one
I thought you would be BIGGER

Return to “Gobbler Talk”