Blessed Man

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
davisd9
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Blessed Man

Post by davisd9 »

My middle son finally got to the age I felt comfortable taking him hunting. He has been after me to take him a while so I promised him we would go Saturday, 10/17. He asked me about it all week and I told him with no doubt we would go. Saturday we hung around with the family and watched some football. After the game me and my little man packed up to go.

We left later than I normally do as I know young attention spans can be short. We were going to go sit a ground blind on a food plot right off a power line. My oldest son and I have had success there from a portable blind so this offseason the three of us built a box to keep there.

We get to the stand about 5:30 and settle in. He does good and is having fun with my binoculars and finds my orange hat to wear. Eventually he gets antsy so we pull out the snacks. I am not sure how much success we will have as he is getting up and down, then sometimes forgetting to whisper, but we are together and that is why we came.

About 6:35 I hear movement behind us to the right. I look over and see movement. It is brown and white tail. They are the direction we walked in from so I figure a deer smelled our scent trail and did not like it. Anyway, a few minutes later I hear them walking again in same place and I see it is a doe. I put my hand on my boy and tell him to stay still.

She comes out and starts walking up the power line. I hear another deer walking behind her. I see it and realize it is a buck, good bodied buck. He is oblivious to the world except her. She is 30-40 yards up power line then cuts back into the woods. He sees this and picks up pace. It was now or never so I bleat and he stops. Picked my spot and squeezed the trigger. He reacted like he was hit hard. Boy and I high five. Go to the shot and he is laying 10 ft from where the impact was, love a Barnes bullets.

The good Lord smiled on us yesterday eve but even without any deer I was with one of my boys and for that I am a blessed man.

Big brother was waiting for us to get home. He was pretty excited for his brother.

spider316
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Blessed Man

Post by spider316 »

Blessed is an understatement. Enjoy every minute, they grow up way to fast !
The most experienced novice Turkey hunter the good Lord ever created !
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

Most awesome!
Got it done early enough that your son wasn’t ready to go.

Congrats on the buck and quality time!
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
soiltester
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by soiltester »

spider316 wrote: October 19th, 2020, 7:57 am Blessed is an understatement. Enjoy every minute, they grow up way to fast !
x2 :thumbup: :thumbup: :cheers:
ever wonder where the white goes when the snow melts??
Hognutz
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hognutz »

Well done! A great way to introduce your son to the game. That is a memory that will be etched in his young mind forever! I doubt that you will ever forget it either!
Ooh-Rah!!
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
I am the man from Nantucket.
“Leave the gun, take the cannoli” -Clemensa
When attacked by a group of clowns...Go for the Juggler!!
Tail Feathers

Post by Tail Feathers »

Great times that neither of you will forget! Congrats on the buck. Keep up the good work with those boys!
Turkey fanatic :turkeywave:
Hobbes_mobile
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hobbes_mobile »

Cool! Congrats on the buck and time spent with your son.
guesswho
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by guesswho »

Well done! Congrats, and enjoy them!
Double Naught Spy!
RCD's Owner----------------Badonka Deke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff-------------Lighter Than HTL Shooter
The Storm Whistle Prostaff
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey Calls Prostaff
davisd9
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by davisd9 »

Thanks everyone. We have the picture above his bed. He is after me about going again so I need to get his older brother out so he can get back in the woods.
gatrkyhntr

Post by gatrkyhntr »

Yes Sir, that's awesome!
devastator
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by devastator »

AWESOME
WoodMoose

Post by WoodMoose »

cool stuff - congrats on the boys and the deer
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

Can. Nothing more rewarding
HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by HunterGKS »

I had posted a couple of days ago but my post disappeared. I'll try again.
Congrats.jpg
Congrats.jpg (6.99 KiB) Viewed 2058 times
Thumbs Up 2.JPG
George

YOU KNOW YOU HAVE TO KEEP YOUR BODY STILL. YOUR HEART JUST HASN'T CAUGHT ON.

.17 = NITRO OF THE RIMFIRE WORLD USAF 1969-1973

Swampstalk

Post by Swampstalk »

Your boys look like they were so excited to participate in your hunt! So cool to get the young'uns out in the woods early on. Yep, the marvel over bugs, butterflies, sticks, and mud. And just about anything else that pops into their minds. But is so sweet having them experience the outdoors, learning about the traditions that they can or hopefully will pass on to their children. Last deer season my hunter partner son took his 4 1/2 year old daughter with him on the last evening of deer season, while I went to another setup near a pond on the back side of the place. They had just got settled into their stands when a nice 8pt pops out 80 yards out in the open. He drops him and my granddaughter is excited so that she wanted to help drag it back out!

This year while hunting their new property here in Florida my son, wife, and that daughter were hunting a palm frond ground blind, while I was set up about 400 yards away in a stand. Buck activity on camera had been steady and regular. 30 minutes after setting up I have a mature 8pt come within 7 yards and took him with my new crossbow. Granddaughter was all over that harvest, helping getting it back to camp, processing the meat. I think she's hooked for good!
Don

Return to “Gobbler Talk”