Lost and found

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
Trustyrusty

Lost and found

Post by Trustyrusty »

Digging through some stuff in my building and found this little gem! Crazy how times have changed and the advancements in technology have such a ripple effect in the way people hunt now versus 50 years ago. The "vintage" hunting equipment is fascinating to me.
Last edited by Trustyrusty on April 16th, 2020, 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
guesswho
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Lost and found

Post by guesswho »

Worlds best turkey call.

An older friend of mine passed away 3 or 4 years ago. His Wife gave me his turkey call which was a Tom Gaskins. I made it a point to only use that call that spring until I killed one with it. Once I did I retired it to the cabinet. She also gave me his last four shells (Hvy 13’s) that were sitting on his dresser. Went 4 for 4 with them. I still have the last empty shell in the cabinet with the call.
Double Naught Spy!
RCD's Owner----------------Badonka Deke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff-------------Lighter Than HTL Shooter
The Storm Whistle Prostaff
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey Calls Prostaff
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

guesswho wrote: April 16th, 2020, 9:08 pm Worlds best turkey call.

An older friend of mine passed away 3 or 4 years ago. His Wife gave me his turkey call which was a Tom Gaskins. I made it a point to only use that call that spring until I killed one with it. Once I did I retired it to the cabinet. She also gave me his last four shells (Hvy 13’s) that were sitting on his dresser. Went 4 for 4 with them. I still have the last empty shell in the cabinet with the call.
Good stuff right there
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
Trustyrusty

Post by Trustyrusty »

guesswho wrote:Worlds best turkey call.

Awesome stuff!

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

Ronnie, fitting tribute to an old friend. In the beginning, I used a Gaskin's and one made by Ben Lee. A buddy and I started making knock-offs for personal use and they worked fine. A late, old friend preferred the scratch call. Gaskins took a page out of George Herter's sales technique. Everything Herter's sold out of his catalog was the World's Finest. Neither made the chocolate bar sold by school kids for fundraising (Or did they? ;) ). Gil
Hobbes_mobile
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hobbes_mobile »

guesswho wrote: April 16th, 2020, 9:08 pm Worlds best turkey call.

That is a great story.

What type call is it? I can't tell what I'm looking at?
timbrhuntr
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by timbrhuntr »

I would never have guessed old guesswho was that sentimental must have been a good friend and thats a great tribute to him !
Swampstalk

Post by Swampstalk »

Cool! Many years ago, maybe 35 or so, my oldest son was in YMCA Indian Guides and we did a father/son camp out at Fishing Eating Creek Campground. On Sunday on the way out we stopped at Tom Gaskins Cypress Knee Museum just up the road. Tom was holding court with our kids about the utility of cypress knees, etc., then he herded the boys out on an elevated board walk into the cypress for a looksee. Back then I was not turkey hunting so the call didn't come up. We all had a grand time with Mr. Gaskins. My son still has a cypress knee he bought that was shaped like a penis! He thought it as a hoot, his mother did not!

Regarding the Tom Gaskins call, my hunting son and I bought a couple of the calls and a CD of Tom Jr. giving the history and demonstration of the call from Tom Kelly. I carry that call on every hunt.
Don
guesswho
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by guesswho »

timbrhuntr wrote: April 17th, 2020, 11:29 am I would never have guessed old guesswho was that sentimental must have been a good friend and thats a great tribute to him !
I’m pretty bad. I even have a breast feather from the first Gobbler I ever killed back in 1968. It is under the butt plate of the gun I used to kill it with.

Here is Mr. C’s call and shell, along with a feather from the bird killed with his last shell. He had the orange duct tape on the call because his eye’s weren’t what they used to be and the tape made it easier for him to spot it laying in the leaves. He was as fine a man as ever lived.
Attachments
B8C4A40C-3997-4A71-ABFC-2F365828832D.jpeg
Double Naught Spy!
rhs341

Post by rhs341 »

Well....how about this....original still in packaging, Image
never been used, everything to include instructions, chalk and striker....don’t even recall where I got this...I love old box calls....still have some of my dads that are built kinda lime these...awesome stuff

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
guesswho
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by guesswho »

Cool
Double Naught Spy!