Easter Sunday MT Turkey

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
Hobbes_mobile
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Easter Sunday MT Turkey

Post by Hobbes_mobile »

I did not hunt on the opener because it was snowing sideways. The sun came out today (Easter Sunday), so I pulled all my stuff together after watching our church service online. I hunted couple areas with snow, then hit some lower areas on my way home where the snow had mostly melted.

I stopped at a spot where I've hunted before to send out a few yelps "just in case". I heard a bird gobble while I stood there before I made the first sound. I grabbed my gear, pulled an extra fleece shirt on, and took off up the mountain. I stopped twice on the way up to check him. He gobbled but sounded like he'd moved over the crest a long way. I continued my hike up out of the blowdowns and onto somewhat of a bench. The Tom sounded 300 yards or so but cut the distance in half pretty quick. I stayed on him fairly regular with the call. At one point I shut up for maybe a minute or so then when he gobbled again he was 75 yards. I spotted him at 40 or 50 yards through the trees strutting and drumming. He moved behind some stuff and I was concerned that he was going too far left so I yelped again and he gobbled at about 40 yards then strutted in left to right for an 18 yard shot

I've included an unedited 9 minute video of when I'd finally made it far enough up the mountain to set up. You can here my fat out of shape butt still trying to catch my breath. You can also here my mediocre, at best, calling. (The bird doesn't seem to mind.) The bird shows up far left under the dead limbs after my final move of the camera. I could not zoom in filming on my own. I must have something set up incorrectly because YouTube would only load standard definition. (I can't get the video to link like I've previously done)

https://youtu.be/xvdr5G5z4tE
IMG_20200412_193051222_BURST000_COVER.jpg
IMG_20200412_192926495_HDR.jpg
IMG_20200412_192857910_HDR.jpg
spider316
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Easter Sunday MT Turkey

Post by spider316 »

Congrats, incredible pictures !
The most experienced novice Turkey hunter the good Lord ever created !
BobT

Post by BobT »

Congrats! Love the video, Getting me fired up for our opener on the 20th.
joey46

Post by joey46 »

Congrats!! Can't think of anything else to say. You have them figured out.
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

Your calling was fine. Good hunt. Interesting the perspective of the lens made him look farther than 40, but that was a result of not being able to zoom. Gil
BeardBuster

Post by BeardBuster »

Nice bird! Really enjoyed your video! I thought your calling was fine. Love those mountains. Congratulations!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
soiltester
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by soiltester »

Hobbes,
For a Doom and Gloom turkey hunting forecast .. it sure came out like a Bed of Roses and all Brightness & Sunshine like an Easter Sunday should be!!
Congrats on a dandy :thumbup:
ever wonder where the white goes when the snow melts??

Post by 935 »

Loved the video. Great hunt.
Thank you Lord for creating these wonderful birds and allowing us to chase after them.
jsh909
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by jsh909 »

Awesome
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

Awesome video! Hats off to you on being able to get it done with a camera
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
Hognutz
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hognutz »

Congrats on the nice Easter gobbler! Great video and, as always, the best pictures!
Well done, my friend!
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
I am the man from Nantucket.
“Leave the gun, take the cannoli” -Clemensa
When attacked by a group of clowns...Go for the Juggler!!
Hobbes_mobile
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hobbes_mobile »

GLS wrote: April 13th, 2020, 6:59 am Your calling was fine. Good hunt. Interesting the perspective of the lens made him look farther than 40, but that was a result of not being able to zoom. Gil
Crazy how far he looks on camera because it felt like he was on top of me. I wish I could have zoomed, but he was close on that last move. I'm a rookie at this video thing. I bought this home camera a couple years ago and never used it much. I'm really lucky it turned out as well as it did. I'm hoping to use the zoom when I take my boys next weekend and I'm not the shooter.

Thanks for the compliments.
Swampstalk

Post by Swampstalk »

Hobbes,

You have put up some awesome pictures of past hunts, but this was really inspiring with this video bonus! The country is beautiful as well. BTW, being house bound is recent weeks makes for tough times conditioning for outdoor excursions. Even us flatlanders huff and puff humping through the swamps and high grass!

Just a wonderful hunt on an Easter morning! Thanks for sharing it with. Congratulations!
Don

Post by 935 »

Hobbes_mobile wrote: April 13th, 2020, 9:05 am
GLS wrote: April 13th, 2020, 6:59 am Your calling was fine. Good hunt. Interesting the perspective of the lens made him look farther than 40, but that was a result of not being able to zoom. Gil
Crazy how far he looks on camera because it felt like he was on top of me. I wish I could have zoomed, but he was close on that last move. I'm a rookie at this video thing. I bought this home camera a couple years ago and never used it much. I'm really lucky it turned out as well as it did. I'm hoping to use the zoom when I take my boys next weekend and I'm not the shooter.

What camera did you use?
Thank you Lord for creating these wonderful birds and allowing us to chase after them.
CamoMan4025
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by CamoMan4025 »

Awesome Job! Yea, the out of shape thing most lilkely applies to a lot of us.....especially me!
"God, Guts & High Explosives"
Hobbes_mobile
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hobbes_mobile »

935 wrote: April 13th, 2020, 9:24 am
Hobbes_mobile wrote: April 13th, 2020, 9:05 am

What camera did you use?
It's a Canon, but I can't see model number on it. I'll have to look it up. I think I need to adjust settings so it will upload as HD. I put a cheap external mic on it too. I need a fluid head tripod, but didn't want to spend anymore.
IMG_20200413_074237998_HDR.jpg
Hobbes_mobile
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hobbes_mobile »

I didn't get as many still shots as normal because I was carrying too much, but this was on my way up. I had come up through edge of park below me. I'd just got to the steeper climb and was probably 1/4 to o 1/3 of the way to my set up.
IMG_20200412_190038654.jpg
Turkinator
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Turkinator »

:thumbup: well done!!!!!
Hobbes_mobile
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hobbes_mobile »

Canon Vixia HF R600
timbrhuntr
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by timbrhuntr »

That was awesome congrats and thanks for posting :thumbup:

Post by 935 »

Hobbes_mobile wrote: April 13th, 2020, 12:21 pm Canon Vixia HF R600
Thanks, I have a Sony Handycam. Haven't tried to film any hunts, yet. The external mike is a big help I would think.
timbrhuntr
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by timbrhuntr »

I am always envious of guys that can get it on film. I carry a small panasonic cam with me all the time but as I get working a bird and moving I always seem to forget to turn it on until after the bird is already flopping.
gaswamp

Post by gaswamp »

congrats and enjoyed the video...can't wait to take another trip out there

Return to “Gobbler Talk”