Muzzleloading for turkeys

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
dlubins

Muzzleloading for turkeys

Post by dlubins »

I have been Muzzleloading for turkeys for around 25 years.
I have a side by side 12ga muzzleloader.
I had Colonial Arms install screw in chokes in it and have used it for turkeys, ducks, geese, and peasants.
Last year I added a couple of Carlson chokes to my pile of chokes I have.
I think the Carlson choke added about 10yds to my effective range.
It is my favorite turkey getter.

My favorite load is.
FF powder 90 grains
Rem RP12 plastic was
1.5 oz #6 lead
RWS caps

I have lost count how many turkeys I have killed with it.
I experimented with Hevi-Shot but was not impressed with the patterns.
Last year I got some #9TSS and tried it but I had trouble pairing up a wad combination that would shoot well with it. My lead load works so well I don't see any reason to change.

Re: Muzzleloading for turkeys

Post by 935 »

That's cool. I have an old muzzleloader that belonged to my great grandfather. It's in rough shape but some fellows on another forum tell me that if the barrels "ring" it can be made to shoot again. If and when I get to that point I'd love to pick your brain on wads and loads and powder.
Thank you Lord for creating these wonderful birds and allowing us to chase after them.
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

I didn’t get to tell you..

I have a White Tominator and have yet to kill a gobbler with it

I will try my best to use it here in Indiana this spring
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
youngoutdoors

Post by youngoutdoors »

I have an old single barrel appears to be about 28 ga that my dad bought back in the 70's. He actually bought two and gave my brother and myself one each. I still remember him cutting a big ole wild cherry up behind he house and making stocks for both of em. It was just a shoebox full of parts at the time with two barrels and a ramrod. He got em put together and my brother has yet to shoot his but I did work up a load for mine and managed to kill my best ever gobbler at the time with that ole smokepole. I don't remember the load but do remember that it was the same volumn shot and powder. Plastic wads wouldn't fit so I used wool wads. I have a newer TC New Englander Shotgun that I have used a few times too. Alot of fun and just adds to the experience.

God Bless, Louis
Realwarrior

Post by Realwarrior »

I have 4 Muzzleloader shotguns, plus a 20ga I built for my youngest son. Mine are TK-2000, CVA SxS, Pedersoli SxS, & 12 ga Custom flintlock. They are really all that I turkey hunt with except for a couple of military bases where BP isn't allowed. I just posted a thread in the Bigbore section on Smokepole Turkeys
joey46

Post by joey46 »

I have the Knight TK2000. Fun gun but the recoil was starting to wear me out so it is in semi retirement. There are a few Florida public areas that are muzzleloader only. If I have occasion to hunt one of them it will be back in the game. So far it is six for six on Florida Osceolas. The 2 1/2oz of #6 lead pushed by 100 grains of blackpowder is devistating. I tried a few lower powered loads but decided to go all in when hunting. I would like to take it up to OH or PA for an Eastern but I prefer to fly and a muzzleloader's components (loose powder and primers)are forbidden on aircraft. Hate to assume I would find them locally when I arrived.
This season I'm going the .410 TSS route. No sore shoulder, detached retinas, or newly acquired flinch. Good to keep the big birds guessing anyway :roll:
chuck1443

Post by chuck1443 »

Who makes a hammer lock(cap) muzzle loading shotgun ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
youngoutdoors

Post by youngoutdoors »

TC used to make the New Englander that was-is cap lock. Pedersoli still does make a cap lock I think. There is a CVA KIT Double on gunbroker right now that I thought was caplock but did'nt look that close at. Several Pedersoli's.

God Bless, Louis
joey46

Post by joey46 »

Before I bought the Knight back in about 2010 I looked hard for the TC New Englander. Impossible at the time to find one. Still have yet to see one on the used market.
Realwarrior

Post by Realwarrior »

youngoutdoors wrote: March 1st, 2020, 9:12 pm TC used to make the New Englander that was-is cap lock. Pedersoli still does make a cap lock I think. There is a CVA KIT Double on gunbroker right now that I thought was caplock but did'nt look that close at. Several Pedersoli's.

God Bless, Louis
It's caplock/percussion

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/857426867
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

Search in forum's search function: flintlock There's a wealth of info on wads, loads , SS loads,etc. Matt/Pa had some nice looking guns if I recall correctly.
chuck1443

Post by chuck1443 »

Thank you for responding

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Return to “Gobbler Talk”