DIY Checklist

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
Prospector

DIY Checklist

Post by Prospector »

Hey Guys: trying to finalize my first DIY spring hunt out of state. Due to timing I’ve settled on a mid to late April hunt in TN or KY. The lean right now is late April in KY in or around Daniel Boone.
Now, for those of you more experienced in traveling to hunt, what do I need to look at as for preparation? I mean obvious is gun and gear but what other little hidden gems can y’all offer that smooths the way- things I might overlook? Going with family and pulling RV so would also appreciate any dribbled knowledge from those who might have done similar. Any and all is appreciated so don’t assume I already know lol.
Already have new boots to break in as I doubt the “hills” in KY ( or TN) will be friendly to the Lacrosse rubbers I usually don at home. Also researching licenses and rules.... so if you are so inclined shower me with your all knowing, traveling wisdom!
“Son, Turkey HUNTING starts at 40yds and in. If you can kill him farther that’s all you’re doing- KILLING. Make him think he’s answering you, call him up, kill him closer-Man! Now that’s what it’s meant to be…” Johnnie Keel ( an Old Pro most never know)
Jstocks

Re: DIY Checklist

Post by Jstocks »

Lacrosse rubbers are fine. I wear mine everywhere I hunt. That’s from Texas to Tennessee to Nebraska.

Check your tires on your camper.

Plan your stops for fuel due to camper. Plan for easy access to and from quick stops.

Identify several places on maps to scout. Get on high points to listen from.
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

Lots of gobblers in Tennessee

Kentucky is real low on numbers.. 😆
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
firedup

Post by firedup »

If your going with family find a good camp area before you go that gives them activities / things to do. They happy, you happy. There are decent areas in both states that have good hunting, camping and fishing. You didn't say public or private but there are good online sources for maps and info. Do your research. A good GPS or similar app for your phone. There are some real good ones out there. I will say that TN has had some real population drops in areas. And TN opens 2 weeks earlier and has much more liberal limits. Eastern areas of both states are some tough, rugged hunting. Good Luck!
Prospector

Post by Prospector »

Even though the trip is to hunt I’m trying to not blow it out of proportion to vacation and fun for my family either. Yes a good camp site is paramount as close to hunting as possible. This will be a public land excursion as I don’t have private land contacts in those states. Also I have planned either for mid or late season during the week so as to limit/avoid the opening week crowds. While success is important I’m not going to lose sight of the fact it is also a maiden cruise and will hopefully lead to many more!
“Son, Turkey HUNTING starts at 40yds and in. If you can kill him farther that’s all you’re doing- KILLING. Make him think he’s answering you, call him up, kill him closer-Man! Now that’s what it’s meant to be…” Johnnie Keel ( an Old Pro most never know)
joey46

Post by joey46 »

KY has an excellent Telecheck System in place. You can get on their web site now and review 2019 kill numbers from various countries in the Daniel Boone NF. Updated maps are available to order on line. Money well spent. The "hills" in the s/e section of KY are mountains so be prepared with good light boots and don't overload with too much gear. I would never hunt an area such as the Daniel Boone without a good GPS. Going later in the season and hunting weekdays would also be my plan. Have been there done that and maybe will do it again. Good luck. :turkeywave:
joey46

Post by joey46 »

Oops. Double post.
Realwarrior

Post by Realwarrior »

Well...I live in the heart of DBNF and Big South Fork and 3 miles from Tennessee and hunt both states. If I was a non resident of both states my pick would definitely be Tennessee, 4 turkeys, longer season, Great WMA' s, plus the deer seasons are longer and you can kill more bucks than in Kentucky, on the same license. Don't get me wrong, Kentucky has some great hunting too, but I just think that in Tennessee you get more for your money. Oh course like they say.... Buy Tags and not gear 😂. Just don't forget the tick spray!!!
Realwarrior

Post by Realwarrior »

The Cherokee NF just North of Pigeon Forge, Gatlinburg, and SMNP had the 2nd highest turkey harvest in TN and if a great vacation spot with lots of campgrounds
joey46

Post by joey46 »

:thumbup: Yes - definitely be more for the family to do in Pigeon Forge etc. Good advice. I haven't checked the price of this years non-resident licenses but both states have gotten pricey.
Add - there were some big fires in that general area two or three years ago. The fringes and regrowth areas can be turkey magnets. Let us know how you do.
Dtrkyman

Post by Dtrkyman »

Pick and area and call a local biologist or game warden for info. Make sure you know what licensing you need, i buy directly from game and fish when i can.

I truck camp so most of my details would involve camping gear, since you have that covered I think you will have a great hunt.

Return to “Gobbler Talk”