I'm Glad!

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
guesswho
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

I'm Glad!

Post by guesswho »

I was telling Vaturkey today that I'm glad I quit deer hunting after last years reminder of why I quit to begin with. If it wasn't still fresh in my mind what a pain in the rear it is, I'd probably invest some time on this one. This is in my front yard at my hunting property in Alabama.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Double Naught Spy!
RCD's Owner----------------Badonka Deke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff-------------Lighter Than HTL Shooter
The Storm Whistle Prostaff
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey Calls Prostaff
devastator
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: I'm Glad!

Post by devastator »

WOW,almost looks like a muley rack :lol: :lol:
OLE RASPY
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by OLE RASPY »

That’s a goodun.
Why don’t you deer hunt anymore
TURKEYS
COYOTES
DEER
SQUIRRELS
(all in this order)
guesswho
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by guesswho »

OLE RASPY wrote: October 20th, 2019, 6:42 pm That’s a goodun.
I have a hunting rule now. If I can't pick it up and carry it out, I don't shoot it. I had forgot why I quit, So last year I was getting pictures of a good one and decided to go one morning for the first time in about 5 years. I got a quick reminder why I quit that morning. It's all fun and games all the way up to the end of the blood trail, then it pretty much sucks after that! :lol:
Double Naught Spy!
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

guesswho wrote: October 20th, 2019, 7:17 pm
OLE RASPY wrote: October 20th, 2019, 6:42 pm That’s a goodun.
I have a hunting rule now. If I can't pick it up and carry it out, I don't shoot it. I had forgot why I quit, So last year I was getting pictures of a good one and decided to go one morning for the first time in about 5 years. I got a quick reminder why I quit that morning. It's all fun and games all the way up to the end of the blood trail, then it pretty much sucks after that! :lol:
68696193_1445204118952290_1106460103176880128_n.jpg
OLE RASPY
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by OLE RASPY »

Lol
TURKEYS
COYOTES
DEER
SQUIRRELS
(all in this order)
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

This cracks me up.
My dad owns a tag alder riverbottom. For those of you may not have them it's almost like a bushy tree grows in clumps of multiple shoots, thicker then crap.

Sal and I'd be dressed up go out for supper . Dad call, shot one, thinking chit. So here we go, find it. Now we gotta drag this this through a freiken thick jungle, not only alders, but head high Reed Canary grass with muck up over your boots., There's springs in there and you walk through one your over your waste in muck. This isn't counting the 40 cedar blow downs you need to drag over

Get it truck now you gotta load this muddy thing. Now your sweating like crazy, need a portable oxygen machine still have to skin. Hang it have to skin, dad come in barn "why don't you guys kill some" Thinking wonder why? This is why as your drenched in sweat and barns 30 degrees

I will say a jet sleds man's best friend even on dry ground but where he hunts to thick to us.
guesswho
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by guesswho »

ICDEDTURKES wrote: October 20th, 2019, 7:54 pm Dad call, shot one, thinking chit. So here we go.
Leave a message at the sound of beep, BEEP :lol:
Last edited by guesswho on October 20th, 2019, 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Double Naught Spy!
spider316
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by spider316 »

Haha, it's a great time till the drag out.
Then the suck starts !
:banghead:
The most experienced novice Turkey hunter the good Lord ever created !
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

guesswho wrote: October 20th, 2019, 8:05 pm
ICDEDTURKES wrote: October 20th, 2019, 7:54 pm Dad call, shot one, thinking chit. So here we go.
Leave a message at the sound of beep, BEEP :lol:
:violent3:

I am old now so I call my son

he best answer and beeping help me get this lil dinky thing cross the fence
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
guesswho
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by guesswho »

I pulled that on my Dad about 5 years ago, he was 85 or 86. He called and I said hello. I know the only time he calls is when I need to go get a deer for him. He said, I need you to come get my deer, then I said at the sound of the beep leave a message.....BEEP. His message was I need you to get your beeping ass out there and get my deer, I'll be at the trailer :lol:

Couple more pics from today's card pull. More my speed now.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Double Naught Spy!
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

guesswho wrote: October 20th, 2019, 9:17 pm I pulled that on my Dad about 5 years ago, he was 85 or 86. He called and I said hello. I know the only time he calls is when I need to go get a deer for him. He said, I need you to come get my deer, then I said at the sound of the beep leave a message.....BEEP. His message was I need you to get your beeping ass out there and get my deer, I'll be at the trailer :lol:

Couple more pics from today's card pull. More my speed now.
:LMAO: :LMAO: :LMAO:

thats hilarious

guesswho
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by guesswho »

hoobilly wrote: October 20th, 2019, 8:41 pm :violent3:

My problem is I'm old now, and still the son

But wouldn't trade it for anything!
Double Naught Spy!
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

guesswho wrote: October 20th, 2019, 9:28 pm
hoobilly wrote: October 20th, 2019, 8:41 pm :violent3:

My problem is I'm old now, and still the son

But wouldn't trade it for anything!
Exactly! My dads wanting to kill a fall gobbler. He’s not worried about deer hunting

soiltester
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by soiltester »

I used to shoot em' at my food plot, but still was a mess to load or help load em' up when I gave them away!! :banghead:

Last time I went 3 yrs ago, 4 came out and were feeding, I had the biggest doe picked out and I looked at my watch :shock:
Wife will be home soon for Happy hour .. so why do I want to miss out on that :slap:

Got out of my blind and quietly got down and away and glanced back .. deer were still feeding as I headed back to the house 150yrds away!! :cheers:
ever wonder where the white goes when the snow melts??
Swampstalk

Post by Swampstalk »

I resemble that remark! Some years ago we were exploring different areas of Big Cypress National Preserve where walk-in hunting was only allowed. Scouting found us in an area with good promise of buck activity. So during muzzleloader season we decided to set up a camp a 1.5 miles of the road. As we had to carry everything in we used jungle hammocks, Jetboil, etc. We set up a Friday afternoon and put stands in a couple areas with game trails and rubs away out. It was wet everywhere except a small spot under some trees. The skitters were so bad we had to eat with our Bugtamer jackets on and lift the hood to take a bite. Sleeping wasn't much fun either if you got your face close to the mess on the hammock. Saturday morning we get to stands and the bugs are better in the tree. If you had get down to take a leak too bad, they would come out of the saw palmetto palms and have hundreds on your clothes. A storm was brewing near by Saturday afternoon heading our way and I wasn't to keen on riding it out under a tree or in the hammock. So we decided to break camp and head back to the truck. Packed up all our crap and 150 yards from camp a 6-point was grazing about 50 yards in front of us. My son was in front and shot him.

Now the fun part begins! We have a roll up "Dead sled" plastic game sled that we strap the buck to, I take both backpacks, rifles, and the two gear bags. My son takes off dragging the buck. As some of you have experienced thick brush, muck, deadfalls, etc., you know what's coming. The area we are hunting is scattered pines, cypress, and tall grass and bushes. The area has been through a wildfire a couple years before and there were many young pine deadfalls scattered everywhere, most submerged and slick as snot when stepping on them. As we were trying to beat the storm we were busting ass to get to the road. My son tongue was hanging out and he hurt his muscles in his back, and had a knot there for 6 months after. We finally managed to make the truck just at dark and the rain started in. We have killed numerous bucks over the years in different places but nothing like that one! I coined the name Camp Misery for that place! Now 70 I don't look forward to that type of FUN much anymore. Truth be known my son doesn't either. But we will both keep going after them until I can't. As someone said them turkeys weigh a lot less when walking out! Can't wait!
Don
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

soiltester wrote: October 21st, 2019, 7:40 am Last time I went 3 yrs ago, 4 came out and were feeding, I had the biggest doe picked out and I looked at my watch :shock:
Wife will be home soon for Happy hour .. so why do I want to miss out on that :slap:

Got out of my blind and quietly got down and away and glanced back .. deer were still feeding as I headed back to the house 150yrds away!! :cheers:
That’s happened to me during deer season. But never during turkey season
:LMAO: :LMAO: :LMAO:

Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

soiltester wrote: October 21st, 2019, 7:40 am Last time I went 3 yrs ago, 4 came out and were feeding, I had the biggest doe picked out and I looked at my watch :shock:

When your wife texts you and she’s in lingerie and your in the stand..
Attachments
ADBD645E-AF09-4F67-9019-F2F4B5F86D61.jpeg

soiltester
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by soiltester »

hoobilly wrote: October 21st, 2019, 10:20 am

When your wife texts you and she’s in lingerie and your in the stand..
I seldom carry my phone at my food plot ;) and sorry bout' her luck if it's turkey time .. I do have my priorities yet :LMAO: :stir:
ever wonder where the white goes when the snow melts??
Cut N Run

Post by Cut N Run »

A long hike in and drag out saved a bunch of deer's lives from my bow & gun. I released the safety, centered the crosshairs, and considered it. In 1989 I killed a nice 8 point near the end of bow season. I was hunting about a mile from the house. I made the shot at 7:20 a.m. and saw him drop. I gutted him quick and started dragging at 7:45 (he was heavier than I was). By the time I got him to the nearest road it was 11:55 a.m.. There's no way I could do that drag or load him into my truck by myself today.

My wife sleeps nude, so I'd seriously have to wonder who the message was really for if I ever got pics of her in lingerie. Not that I ever get nekked pics from her either.
I'm more likely to get pictures of something she broke, wondering if I could fix it for her. That woman could mess up an anvil with a rubber mallet.

Jim

Return to “Gobbler Talk”