Deer

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Deer

Post by Hoobilly »

Anyone killing whitetail right now? Been seeing some goodns killed here in northern Indiana

Gonna be turkey hunting some this week and hopefully get my dad and son on a couple. Then I’m gonna start hitting the stand pretty hard
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
spider316
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Deer

Post by spider316 »

Spider Jr did, 1st with the bow, please post the pic, thank you !
The most experienced novice Turkey hunter the good Lord ever created !
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

spider316 wrote: October 20th, 2019, 6:53 pm Spider Jr did, 1st with the bow, please post the pic, thank you !
Goodn!
Attachments
A2D8CD47-CACE-43A1-8605-4FF5EA4731B0.jpeg

guesswho
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by guesswho »

Cool, good job by the young bow hunter.
Double Naught Spy!
RCD's Owner----------------Badonka Deke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff-------------Lighter Than HTL Shooter
The Storm Whistle Prostaff
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey Calls Prostaff
OLE RASPY
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by OLE RASPY »

Congrats to jr.
I made my first sit yesterday evening. Me and the wife went while granny watched the kids. I saw a unicorn buck 2 big does that had 2 little ones with them. They eat a little clover and wheat then made there way to my wife’s stand.
She went back this evening and just texted me she saw nothing. I stayed home with the kids. Too hot anyway. Really didn’t want to go yesterday
TURKEYS
COYOTES
DEER
SQUIRRELS
(all in this order)
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

OLE RASPY wrote: October 20th, 2019, 7:51 pm Congrats to jr.
I made my first sit yesterday evening. Me and the wife went while granny watched the kids. I saw a unicorn buck 2 big does that had 2 little ones with them. They eat a little clover and wheat then made there way to my wife’s stand.
She went back this evening and just texted me she saw nothing. I stayed home with the kids. Too hot anyway. Really didn’t want to go yesterday
We seen a small 8 point. 12 turkeys (hens and one had a beard? And 2 doe. Nice cool evening

SwampDrummin

Post by SwampDrummin »

Still waiting on big boy to show up.
Attachments
AE697BA3-A020-4009-A310-787DFDA8D91A.jpeg
7B5038EB-13B7-4346-AC9A-453B7D381E2D.jpeg
7A89F319-4177-4C81-9836-52AE3E3AE41F.jpeg
9B2B9252-6520-4455-9CAC-D27F7E424D07.jpeg
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

Man Swamp that one with the kicker is nice looking

jsh909
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by jsh909 »

Does and an 8 pt here so far. They are chasing like crazy and putting the feed bag on right now.

I am in Wayne/Holmes county Ohio.
Yule

Post by Yule »

Shot this one in Kansas, end of Sept. I really like his turkey spurs....
0.jpg
jsh909
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by jsh909 »

Damn!
Swampstalk

Post by Swampstalk »

IMG_7696.JPG
IMG_7561.JPG
IMG_7694.JPG
Been hunting Big Cypress for archery and into muzzleloader seasons. Cameras picked up several nice shooters in late July and into August for the rut. By the time the season opened we haven't seen one deer on cameras. As the NPS would allow the state game folks to adjust the seasons to conform with the rest of the state, the peak rut is over by the time archery, and especially ML season opens down in Big Cypress. Hunted ML weekend before last, didn't see anything but lots of old scraps and rubs but the deer have dispersed. Lots of turkey tracks around though.
Don
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

Yule wrote: October 21st, 2019, 8:59 am Shot this one in Kansas, end of Sept. I really like his turkey spurs....0.jpg
short spurs.. must be a jake :lol:

I ove kickers stickers and just funky racks in general

thats a goodn

Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

Swampstalk wrote: October 21st, 2019, 9:53 am IMG_7696.JPGIMG_7561.JPGIMG_7694.JPGBeen hunting Big Cypress for archery and into muzzleloader seasons. Cameras picked up several nice shooters in late July and into August for the rut. By the time the season opened we haven't seen one deer on cameras. As the NPS would allow the state game folks to adjust the seasons to conform with the rest of the state, the peak rut is over by the time archery, and especially ML season opens down in Big Cypress. Hunted ML weekend before last, didn't see anything but lots of old scraps and rubs but the deer have dispersed. Lots of turkey tracks around though.
thats gotta be rough to have odd seasons

here they are pretty liberal for up north. archery from Oct1st to January first week I think. firearms opens weekend before thanksgiving for 2 weeks. then no gun for a week then 2 weeks of muzzleloader which closes just a day or so before christmas

sharp looking buck tho.. 6 on his left side.

SwampDrummin

Post by SwampDrummin »

Yule wrote: October 21st, 2019, 8:59 am Shot this one in Kansas, end of Sept. I really like his turkey spurs....0.jpg
What a toad
SwampDrummin

Post by SwampDrummin »

Swampstalk wrote: October 21st, 2019, 9:53 am IMG_7696.JPGIMG_7561.JPGIMG_7694.JPGBeen hunting Big Cypress for archery and into muzzleloader seasons. Cameras picked up several nice shooters in late July and into August for the rut. By the time the season opened we haven't seen one deer on cameras. As the NPS would allow the state game folks to adjust the seasons to conform with the rest of the state, the peak rut is over by the time archery, and especially ML season opens down in Big Cypress. Hunted ML weekend before last, didn't see anything but lots of old scraps and rubs but the deer have dispersed. Lots of turkey tracks around though.
Man the rut is the only thing that still gets me in the tree. That would be rough to start the season with nothing to look forward to but a feed pattern.
Swampstalk

Post by Swampstalk »

Yep, sure gets tiring watch butterflies and birds all, though nice. When FWC adjusted the dates in Zone A, but the Park Service wouldn't allow Big Cyp to move as well it really put a damper on buck activity in season. Through weekend before last there had only been 20 bucks checked in throughout the 700,000 acres of Big Cypess. Numerous other smaller WMAs in Zone A of South Florida had nearly as many, or one in particular had 60+ bucks taken, with a hell of a lot more hunting pressure of course. With Panthers, Burmese Pythons, and other predators, as well as high water impacting the population, it's been declining steadily over the years. Panthers, as an endangered species, has been increasing. But what the biologists don't really talk about is that some years ago they brought Texas "cougars" in to breed with the Florida cats to assist in rebuilding the population. Recently speaking with a retired NPS person, the cat population in the park region is 99% Texas cats. One cat can eat a deer a week. If a female has a litter of 2 or 3 kits it could be more deer taken a week. The cats are pushed to eat the deer as the pythons have decimated the small mammal population within Everglades National Park and spreading. Hard to see raccoons, possums, rabbits, some birds. Some captured pythons had remains of deer in them, hoofs mainly, even alligators. An estimated 100,000 snakes are in the ecosystem, and state hunters has captured and killed just around 3000 so far. With all this said, maybe we need to go fishin' and drinkin', or just drinkin'!

We had one really old mature 8pt buck on a camera before season. During archery my son was covering an area a quarter mile from the camera and found the buck remains from a panther kill. The buzzards had picked it clean but the skull and rack were intact.
Don
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

Swampstalk wrote: October 22nd, 2019, 11:27 am Yep, sure gets tiring watch butterflies and birds all, though nice. When FWC adjusted the dates in Zone A, but the Park Service wouldn't allow Big Cyp to move as well it really put a damper on buck activity in season. Through weekend before last there had only been 20 bucks checked in throughout the 700,000 acres of Big Cypess. Numerous other smaller WMAs in Zone A of South Florida had nearly as many, or one in particular had 60+ bucks taken, with a hell of a lot more hunting pressure of course. With Panthers, Burmese Pythons, and other predators, as well as high water impacting the population, it's been declining steadily over the years. Panthers, as an endangered species, has been increasing. But what the biologists don't really talk about is that some years ago they brought Texas "cougars" in to breed with the Florida cats to assist in rebuilding the population. Recently speaking with a retired NPS person, the cat population in the park region is 99% Texas cats. One cat can eat a deer a week. If a female has a litter of 2 or 3 kits it could be more deer taken a week. The cats are pushed to eat the deer as the pythons have decimated the small mammal population within Everglades National Park and spreading. Hard to see raccoons, possums, rabbits, some birds. Some captured pythons had remains of deer in them, hoofs mainly, even alligators. An estimated 100,000 snakes are in the ecosystem, and state hunters has captured and killed just around 3000 so far. With all this said, maybe we need to go fishin' and drinkin', or just drinkin'!

We had one really old mature 8pt buck on a camera before season. During archery my son was covering an area a quarter mile from the camera and found the buck remains from a panther kill. The buzzards had picked it clean but the skull and rack were intact.
I hate when government ruins the wildlife from what they think is the correct path. Only to screw it up

Jstocks

Post by Jstocks »

I never knew how bad the Panthers were until I went down there this Spring. For those of us in other parts of the southeast, I think it’s be really hard to comprehend without seeing it firsthand. There’s huge fences along the roads with tunnels under the highway and I was told they are to funnel the panthers under the highway so they don’t get run over?
Heck, the cattleman I turkey hunted on said that he ain’t raised a calf in 5 years that made it past a year old.
What shocked me is there was no hogs? He said the Panthers ate them. There was a whitetail for that stayed close by the camp that had a huge scar on her, same story... said it had to be from a panther?
Jstocks

Post by Jstocks »

hoobilly wrote: October 20th, 2019, 7:01 pm
spider316 wrote: October 20th, 2019, 6:53 pm Spider Jr did, 1st with the bow, please post the pic, thank you !
Goodn!
Congrats!

Return to “Gobbler Talk”