Incoming Storm

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
Swampstalk

Incoming Storm

Post by Swampstalk »

Well boys and girls, looks like the weather gods are not giving in again this year. Here in South Florida we are bracing for a Cat 4 hurricane impact late Monday or early Tuesday up around West Palm Beach area. As tomorrow is opening day for archery deer season here looks like we will be heading to Big Cypress to put shutters on the camp instead of trekking into the woods for our first hunt of the year! Supposed to be in the neighborhood of 15-20" of rain as well as 110 mph winds. Fortunately, the back side of the storm we'll get less rain and wind, but it's moving slow as heck. A couple days of this ain't good, as the ground is already saturated. So a bunch of trees will be down.

Hopefully the critters will hunker down and make it.

Being hurricane Andrew, Katrina, Wilma, Irma veterans we are better prepared. Our home took a direct hit from Andrew back in 1992, lesser ones since. Thoughts and prayers to all you folks down range of Dorian. Keep your powder dry!

God bless!
Don
guesswho
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Incoming Storm

Post by guesswho »

I was headed to Polk county tomorrow but have postponed it for a week. Good luck to all at risk.
Double Naught Spy!
RCD's Owner----------------Badonka Deke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff-------------Lighter Than HTL Shooter
The Storm Whistle Prostaff
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey Calls Prostaff
BoxCall@68

Post by BoxCall@68 »

Don't know how you guys do it.constant worry .Ohio is bad with tornadoes,and floods,but I'd go crazy down there.stay safe.my buddy in Alabama is watching this mess too.
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

Ok so my future bil and family flew out 4am yesterday for Florida with the family for Vacation. It will exciting I'm sure one that will blow their hair back. It's absolutely stupid I know some of you say they blow these outta proportion, but still, eat cost of flights stay home. House is free so there not out that. I'm sure every bottle of water and food is picked clean and flying have nothing. Supposed be a short vacation but they're outward flight will most likely be cancelled as this persists

They've forecasted this for a while. Sal's parents pleaded to not go. He's normally smart this was stupid.

I'll be praying for them wishing for
soiltester
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by soiltester »

ICDEDTURKES wrote: August 30th, 2019, 1:54 pm Ok so my future bil and family flew out 4am yesterday for Florida with the family for Vacation. It will exciting I'm sure one that will blow their hair back. It's absolutely stupid I know some of you say they blow these outta proportion, but still, eat cost of flights stay home. House is free so there not out that. I'm sure every bottle of water and food is picked clean and flying have nothing. Supposed be a short vacation but they're outward flight will most likely be cancelled as this persists

They've forecasted this for a while. Sal's parents pleaded to not go. He's normally smart this was stupid.

I'll be praying for them wishing for
Amen on your thoughts also ;)

Don't know which way the storms going yet and will have to wait at least till' Wed. to see what path it's going to take.
Then I can decide to head to MI or wait and be prepared in case we loose power :banghead:

Ya'll stay as safe as you can, further south, with that cussed storm :thumbup:
ever wonder where the white goes when the snow melts??
guesswho
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by guesswho »

To put it into perspective, I lived in central Florida from 1960 to 93. Never had a direct hit, and really no damage from one. But after I moved, my parents had 3 in about a one month time frame. Trouble is they're not bad, until they are. If your not somewhat prepared you can be in for a miserable time that could last for weeks or even longer.
Double Naught Spy!
RCD's Owner----------------Badonka Deke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff-------------Lighter Than HTL Shooter
The Storm Whistle Prostaff
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey Calls Prostaff
Grumpy
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Grumpy »

I'm glad we don't have those here.
I was not his father but he was my son,,MAK IV, 10-15-1993 - 4-22-2007
"Rest in Peace my Little Buddy"
Cut N Run

Post by Cut N Run »

Yeah, it's that time of year again. Hunker down everybody in Dorian's path. I hope it's intensity backs off, clears out fast, and does minimal damage.

Our turn will be coming soon enough. It's the price you pay for living here. I've made sure to have plenty of bar lube, blades, and fuel mix for my chain saw. That saw always gets too much work during hurricane season.

Jim
HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by HunterGKS »

I lived on MacDill & in Tampa & Brandon 1969-2004 & went through many hurricanes.
FL is always serious about the hurricanes. The only damage I had was several huge
trees being toppled. I was lucky. There were houses through out the subdivision
where I lived in Brandon in 2004. The 4 h-canes that went through in 04 were the
final deciding factor in my decision to move back up to Ohio.

Good Luck & be safe all of y'all in the path of Dorian.
George

YOU KNOW YOU HAVE TO KEEP YOUR BODY STILL. YOUR HEART JUST HASN'T CAUGHT ON.

.17 = NITRO OF THE RIMFIRE WORLD USAF 1969-1973

howl
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by howl »

Did a job interview for down there this morning. Maybe this is a sign.
howl
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by howl »

FB_IMG_1567215459086.jpg
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

hope its not as bad as they think and it slows down before landfall

prayers from here if its bad
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
spider316
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by spider316 »

Prayers for you folks that will be impacted by this. We're such babies here in New England, we cry over a blizzard that's plowed out in 2 days. If anyone needs help, please ask !
The most experienced novice Turkey hunter the good Lord ever created !
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

For the past several years we have been in the "cone of uncertainty's" crosshairs dead center at least one time per 'cane with days out. The "cone of uncertainty" is the human version of the canine "cone of misery" that Fido wears when he comes home from the vet with a weeks worth of eye drops. Local TV stations will soon start "the sky is falling" routine by Henny Penny the TV weather man. Every 10 minutes a Home Depot commercial will be on the tube. Here's a good blog which explains the ins and outs of predictions and cautions to rely on the NHC for predictions rather than the local TV's Gloom and Doom Squad.
http://www.enkiops.org/blog/
paboxcall

Post by paboxcall »

Wishing you all the best. It appears this storm's cone of uncertainty is turning slightly north and may skim the coast before rolling into South Carolina.
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer

Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
Grumpy
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Grumpy »

No storms here this weekend but I'm pretty bored so I think I'll go to the mall and find a good parking spot close to the door and sit in my car with the reverse lights on...... :LMAO:
I was not his father but he was my son,,MAK IV, 10-15-1993 - 4-22-2007
"Rest in Peace my Little Buddy"
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

Grumpy wrote: August 31st, 2019, 11:28 am No storms here this weekend but I'm pretty bored so I think I'll go to the mall and find a good parking spot close to the door and sit in my car with the reverse lights on...... :LMAO:
Bwahaha reminds me of college. Parking was horrible, no where to park. People would literally follow u in their car stalking I'd walk past my car go across to next aisle come back as their flying around lot to catch up.

Or do what you said especially if I had another class 15 minutes later. Sit their throw in a chew making phone calls

I bet I paid 500 in parking tickets. Sometimes I'd park in teachers lot "oh look theirs 100 open spaces"
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

Grumpy wrote: August 31st, 2019, 11:28 am No storms here this weekend but I'm pretty bored so I think I'll go to the mall and find a good parking spot close to the door and sit in my car with the reverse lights on...... :LMAO:
:usa:

That’s hilarious

Swampstalk

Post by Swampstalk »

As always, the storm is being influenced by steering currents, etc., and will take a turn north offshore of Palm Beach area. We will have some TS force winds here 20 miles south of Miami. All prepped, but no party. Sent the day yesterday out at the camp going to put up shutters, etc. but got a text from partner that the storm was forecast to turn north by Monday. The 8.5 mile trail drive was awesome, clear skies and not a bit of wind. Regretted not bringing our bows, but our purpose was not to hunt. We mowed the grass and prepped for next weekend hunt. Checked some cameras and saw several really nice shooter bucks. Heading out next weekend.

This storm seemed to remind me of Hurricane David back in '79. It was heading right at Miami the night before when we went to bed, and by morning it had turned 90 degrees 50 miles offshore had skirted Palm Beach and upstate then went in around South Carolina I think. We didn't even get a strong gust of wind out of that one. You never know. We paid for it in 1992 with Andrew direct hit! Told my son yesterday I'd just as soon prep ten times over that go through another one like Andrew.

God speed!
Don
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

David made landfall at Ossabaw Island, Georgia near Savannah. While barely a 1, it wiped out Chatham County and folks were without power for over 2 weeks in some areas of the County. I lost power for 45 minutes where I lived. This was the era before the unselfish massive "swarm" of out of state power company crews like we see today coming to the area of disaster. Gil
Swampstalk

Post by Swampstalk »

Yep, we were out of power 5 weeks with Andrew. 5 of us and a dog lived in a 20 foot travel trailer my brother in law "loaned" us for 5 months while the house was rebuilt. We still have out of state power crews contracted with FPL here strengthening the grid. Pike crews are everywhere putting up stronger and bigger poles. Since the damn politicians allow the greedy developers to continue to build more and more houses in flood prone areas I just don't see how there will not be mass losses, then try getting house insurance. During Irma over 5 million people evacuated up state and out of state. This is nuts. While working with Emergency Management folks here as the County Extension Director for over 30 years, we all stressed "hide from the wind, run from the water". Oh well, enough about this stuff, I just want to go sit in the woods and hope to see some critters. That's my Happy Place!
Don
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

69412223_750356462070648_6401442884020600832_o.jpg
[attachment=0]694122
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

ICDEDTURKES wrote: September 1st, 2019, 10:15 pm 69412223_750356462070648_6401442884020600832_o.jpg[attachment=0]694122
:LMAO:

I remember what it looked like after Andrew and Hugo

We had worked with a cable company in Myrtle Beach and Surf Side and had finished the project up. Within 6 months the system had to be totally rebuilt due to the hurricane. We made a lot of money back then

GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

dbl
Last edited by GLS on September 3rd, 2019, 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

Taking into account the low speed forward of Dorian, NHC has revised the timeline, Or as one Floridian stated: "It's like being stalked by a turtle."

Return to “Gobbler Talk”