A controversial subject.

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
guesswho
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: A controversial subject.

Post by guesswho »

I started as a kid in the 60's with a traditional bow, an old Indian if I remember right. Mid 70's switched to a Bear Whitetail, and my current set-up is a Mathews Z7 Extreme. I've come to the conclusion that equipment has zero to do with a hunters skill level. What it does impact is the hunters mind set.

All things being equal, land, game numbers etc, it takes no more skill to get the targeted game animal under 20 with a traditional set-up than it does with a compound. If the traditional hunter consistently kills every year under 20, and a modern bow hunter kills every year but most of his kills are around 40, then I give the nod to the traditionalist. But if the traditionalist kills one inside 20 every 5-6 years and the modern guy still kills his every year, then the nod goes to him. But I realize this isn't a competition between hunters and doesn't mean squat to me. But after a few years, I do recognize who I would fear the most if I was a targeted game animal, and it doesn't have anything to do with equipment. I have noticed though that most of the whiners tend to come from the group that uses more of the modern advantages (aka crutches), which I am a part of on the archery side of things.
Double Naught Spy!
RCD's Owner----------------Badonka Deke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff-------------Lighter Than HTL Shooter
The Storm Whistle Prostaff
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey Calls Prostaff
howl
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by howl »

decoykrvr wrote: August 24th, 2019, 9:48 pm The crossbow is an ancient weapon, documented in China over 2,300 years ago. How do crossbows figure into this whole trad, compound discussion?
I've always been under the impression that in ancient times the bow was the superior weapon if you learned to use it. Those old crossbows sure look like junk. The difference in modern tackle is whether you have to draw it or not. Back when I shot compound I had to aim at different dots to avoid wrecking all my arrows. Can't see how a crossbow can do better.

Some might ask why would you use a less capable weapon to kill deer. First, a recurve isn't really less capable within the appropriate range. It's just the appropriate range is shorter. Second, why would DNR have a special season for less capable weapons? There are reasons, but you have to consider that some wounding, etc. is accepted. Personally I always liked how they do it in the SC Lowcountry. Open it 8/15 and use whatever you want.
BoxCall@68

Post by BoxCall@68 »

Well my son said he is getting a bow this week.I'll help him all I can.started him in cub scouts.man I know he will get a newer compound,I don't care.I'll help him all I can.to get your son and grandson bow hunting with ya is great.if ya bowhunters,its great with me.I'm not a elitelist.bow hunting is bow hunting.
Magdump

Post by Magdump »

Humans are humans. That is the answer.

We love to belong to a tribe and exclude "the other" from the tribe. It is wired into our brains for survival from caveman times apparently.

You see it everywhere. Trad. vs. modern bow, flintlock vs. modern ML, trap shooters vs. skeet shooters, left vs. right, etc. Believe it or not, in the era before electricity, the classical guitar players had physical fights between the two groups-those who used long fingernails on their picking hand and those that did not. That is nuts! But it is the way we are wired.

I have HUGE respect for the trad guys ( I do shoot trad, just not for hunting) that have spent the countless hours getting awesome at shooting instinctively. It is amazing what they can do. But their wound rate is much higher than modern bow. Why ? Because a modern bow is basically a short-range gun. Way less margin for error thanks to sights, let off, and increased speed, and still there is plenty of error!!!

So, bottom line, who cares what others say or do. Find your own truth in life and go with that. Just try to keep an open mind so you can learn and pick up new perspectives.
SwampDrummin

Post by SwampDrummin »

The difference is it gets some people off to kill them with less. It gets other people off to be able to SAY they killed them with less.

Kill them with what you want. Don’t lecture other other people, everyone plays their own game.
Cut N Run

Post by Cut N Run »

I enjoyed the challenge of hunting traditional. Years ago, I built my own arrows, knapped stone points to go on them, and fletched them with turkey feathers off birds I killed to test my abilities. That said, I've killed most of my deer with a compound because it has better accuracy at greater distance. I got permanently injured in a car crash 12 years ago and if I want to bowhunt, it has been crossbow only for me ever since.

Bottom line is you are propelling a point on a fletched shaft off a string and an unseen limb will deflect every one of them if you're not careful. Don't worry about what anyone else hunts with, hunt with what suits you, make your shot count, and practice shooting to make yourself the most efficient, lethal hunter you can be.

Jim
timbrhuntr
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by timbrhuntr »

Magdump wrote: August 26th, 2019, 4:01 pm Because a modern bow is basically a short-range gun.
Seriously ?
ncturkey

Post by ncturkey »

Longbow,Recurve, crossbow does not matter to me just get out there and hunt.
Mike

Return to “Gobbler Talk”