Birthday Girl

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
MKW
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Birthday Girl

Post by MKW »

Finley will be a year old on Sunday. She demands attention, but she's a great dog. We'll see how she does on a dove hunt in about a month.
IMG_E0166 (Small).JPG
IMG_E0152 (Small).JPG
Ultimate Predator
ccleroy

Re: Birthday Girl

Post by ccleroy »

Good looking lady!
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

she sure is purty!

hope she loves them doves
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

I thought happy birthday Lindsey and see a dawg. No, congratulations, bud, I'm so so so glad you didn't wait Celebration to one year and a decade more.
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

Take some shade, plenty of water. A buzz cut helps this time of the year, especially those ears. They will pick up every burr, cockspur, beggar lice and worse in the field.I usually wait for cooler weather for my dogs in the field, but I see plenty of dogs early. Just be careful with him. I've also heard of heat stroked dogs and worse from early season dove hunts in the lowcountry. One man carried a small shovel and dug out a depression and dropped a bag of ice for his lab to lie on. It's hard enough on the hunters and can be worse on dark coated dogs this time of the year especially if left in the sun without shade. Gil
MKW
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by MKW »

I appreciate the advise, Gil. I have no plans to take her while it's so hot. I am in a dove club that only has 10 members and we sell the other spots on the field for the first 2 hunts. She will not go to those. I will wait till it's, at most, the 10 of us friends. The worst thing on a dove field is a young(or any) dog acting up. This season will be very low-key, low pressure, and low expectations, but she will learn. She went to one hunt last year when she was very young and she did pretty well as far as staying with me and acting right. We'll see.
Ultimate Predator
MKW
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by MKW »

On a side note...Fin and I both got a little work in this morning. I worked on my chipping in the front yard and she brought the golf balls right back to me. :thumbup: :lol: :thumbup:
Ultimate Predator
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

That's good to hear about not hunting him early. Where you hunt turkeys in the FM you might want to take him woodcock hunting this winter. I hear there are plenty of them up there. I use my Brittanys for them, but I know some successful hunters who use flushers including Boykins and English Cockers.. It's a great sport and not many folks are doing it in this part of the country. Woodcock love thick canebrakes and young sapling thickets,pine or hardwood. We've found them in huckleberry/sparkleberry clumps, dog hobble thickets, etc. but the most reliable habitat for us has been rivercane shoulder to over head high. The knee high switchcane is not as good,but they are occasionally there. I prefer hunting on the cold days which keeps the snakes dormant or sluggish. I won't hunt them on balmy days. I friend had his Boykin killed by huge EDB one February years ago when he was using his dog to clean up a fence row after a pheasant toss the day before.
crow

Post by crow »

Sweet looking dog, hope you have many good years of hunting with her.

Return to “Gobbler Talk”