Can you hear it?

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
howl
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Can you hear it?

Post by howl »

I start at 50Hz and start losing some over 10K. 10K is around where my ears ring constantly. I lose it entirely over 13K.

"1. Gobble:

The pitch of the gobble is 400-4,500 HZ
gobbling is loudest from the roost and loses volume from the ground
The notes of older gobblers are generally loud and are distinctly separate
2. Spit and drum:

The chump lasts less than 1/10 of a second with a 1,000 Hz frequency
The hum has a very low frequency, below 60 Hz"
(https://www.nwtf.org/hunt/article/ident ... rkey-calls)

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-iCZElJ8m0[/youtube]
howl
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Can you hear it?

Post by howl »

If "someone" knows how to embed that video...
Hognutz
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hognutz »

Last edited by Hognutz on May 21st, 2019, 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
I am the man from Nantucket.
“Leave the gun, take the cannoli” -Clemensa
When attacked by a group of clowns...Go for the Juggler!!
Hognutz
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hognutz »

Is that what you wanted, Howl?
howl
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by howl »

yes, thanks
Hognutz
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hognutz »

My pleasure!
Hobbes_mobile
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hobbes_mobile »

I've definitely got some hearing loss in my left ear at higher frequency. It's been causing the occasionally ringing in that ear over the last year (actually right now). I suspect it's the result of unprotected shooting in a duck boat (often positioned on right side of blind) and dove fields in my younger days.
I can hear drumming well and don't think I'm missing too many gobbles at this time.
Grumpy
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Grumpy »

"What, what did he just say ?"................. :dontknow:
I was not his father but he was my son,,MAK IV, 10-15-1993 - 4-22-2007
"Rest in Peace my Little Buddy"
Hobbes_mobile
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hobbes_mobile »

I started to barely hear it around 40 and went to somewhere over 11,000. At some point my left ear cut out before my right.
jhogue

Post by jhogue »

Hobbes_mobile wrote:I started to barely hear it around 40 and went to somewhere over 11,000. At some point my left ear cut out before my right.
I started about 40 or 45 and lost everything around 14,500. I pass all the Army hearing tests with flying colors. I was really concerned for the first bit of that test.

Sent from my SM-S327VL using Tapatalk

RapscallionVermilion

Post by RapscallionVermilion »

I can hear it at 30, but it is gone between 11K and 12K.
Hobbes_mobile
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hobbes_mobile »

I ran through it again. How loud am I supposed to set my speakers? I actually heard it up to 12 ish, but after that the ringing just continues. My son could be hear it to 14 or so.
jhogue

Post by jhogue »

jhogue wrote:
Hobbes_mobile wrote:I started to barely hear it around 40 and went to somewhere over 11,000. At some point my left ear cut out before my right.
I started about 40 or 45 and lost everything around 14,500. I pass all the Army hearing tests with flying colors. I was really concerned for the first bit of that test.

Crap, I did it again and realized I didn't hear anything till 137. No wonder I almost never hear a bird drumming. That sucks.

Hobbes_mobile
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hobbes_mobile »

jhogue wrote: May 20th, 2019, 11:47 pm
jhogue wrote:

Crap, I did it again and realized I didn't hear anything till 137. No wonder I almost never hear a bird drumming. That sucks.

That would suck. Close in drumming is as intense as it gets. Although I've heard it at relatively long distances, it's typically a sign of good things to come. My second bird this year was drumming like crazy. I love that sound.

My biggest problem with the test is my left ear is still ringing an hour later.
howl
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by howl »

Some people are never able to hear extreme frequencies. I know some people who only hear drumming when it is very close, like 30 yards, if at all. You can feel it on your clothes when it's that close. So maybe there's part some can hear and part they cannot.

Some speakers won't reproduce extreme frequencies. I was not expecting the speakers on this chromebook to do as well as they did. What I heard matches what the audiologist found when I had my ears tested.

High frequency loss is likely from gunfire. I'm lefthanded. My loss is worse in the left ear supposedly because anchoring that side on gunstocks transmits more of the vibration to that ear.
jhogue

Post by jhogue »

howl wrote:Some people are never able to hear extreme frequencies. I know some people who only hear drumming when it is very close, like 30 yards, if at all. You can feel it on your clothes when it's that close. So maybe there's part some can hear and part they cannot.

Some speakers won't reproduce extreme frequencies. I was not expecting the speakers on this chromebook to do as well as they did. What I heard matches what the audiologist found when I had my ears tested.

High frequency loss is likely from gunfire. I'm lefthanded. My loss is worse in the left ear supposedly because anchoring that side on gunstocks transmits more of the vibration to that ear.
So I tried this again on my Iphone, and with the volume turned all the way up and my ear right next to the speaker, I could hear all the way at the very beginning, so 20 Hz. I still quit hearing anything at 14,500 on the high end. Not sure what this all means for this test and my hearing at the low end. In the 8 years I have hunted turkeys seriously, I have heard drumming 2-3 times that I remember and I had to really focus to hear it then. I don't wait for them to get in 30 yards strutting. If I think he's about 40 yards and in a place I can shoot. I let it go. This may or may not have to do with the lack of drumming I have heard. I thought I heard drumming once this year. And it turned out to be some gurreral noises a hog was making.

Clydetaylor

Post by Clydetaylor »

I started at 117 and went to 37,000. I don't hear drumming.
Prospector

Post by Prospector »

I maybe heard it start just under 30...
Almost like I felt it? At 34 I definitely could...
I can hear drumming still (at 47). I like the description you can feel it on your clothes- very descriptive. Drumming is even better than gobbling in my humble opinion....
Thanks for the post.....
“Son, Turkey HUNTING starts at 40yds and in. If you can kill him farther that’s all you’re doing- KILLING. Make him think he’s answering you, call him up, kill him closer-Man! Now that’s what it’s meant to be…” Johnnie Keel ( an Old Pro most never know)
crenshawco

Post by crenshawco »

I tried this on my phone the other day and was beginning to think I must be half deaf. I just played it on my truck speakers and I started at about 37 and lost it right before 19,000. Pretty interesting info though. Thanks for posting
Clydetaylor

Post by Clydetaylor »

Clydetaylor wrote: May 21st, 2019, 5:02 pm I started at 117 and went to 37,000. I don't hear drumming.
My bad it was 3,700 not 37,000. This was on my phone. Need to try it with better speakers.
RapscallionVermilion

RapscallionVermilion wrote:I can hear it at 30, but it is gone between 11K and 12K.

This was with cheap headphones. Running through my truck stereo got it down into the mid to upper 20s. Thought I could feel something before I could say I heard it. Truck stereo didn’t help at all with the high end. Furthest I’ve heard drumming is about 80 yards.
davisd9
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by davisd9 »

How high should the headphones be volume wise? If turned up I can hear from the beginning until I just could not take the sound any more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RapscallionVermilion

davisd9 wrote:How high should the headphones be volume wise? If turned up I can hear from the beginning until I just could not take the sound any more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I don’t think there’s an easy way to standardize it. I just adjusted the volume as I went. Down in the middle and back up some towards the end. But at the ends of the spectrum of what I can hear, it didn’t matter.

Return to “Gobbler Talk”