What do I think

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
Hobbes_mobile
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: What do I think

Post by Hobbes_mobile »

I like watching The Hunting Public. It's not about how good they are but how much they love hunting turkeys and how respectful they are. Occasionally there is a little too much silly stuff, but not enough to be a problem for me. Some of the Primos guys had hit a level of foolish stuff that I couldn't take back before the DVD market crashed. I'm sure they are good ole boys, I'm just not a fan of that level of goofy crap.

I also like watching Dave's Pinhotti Project.

As far as drinking goes, I've never done much of it. I had a run in my college days of bars and late nights, but lost interest in it. I also had a short run of Crown and Coke, but have no interest in rotting my guts out or pickling my liver with anymore. I do like a beer or two, but I'm rather picky about those as well.
RapscallionVermilion

Post by RapscallionVermilion »

I've not been fortunate to find some Weller 12. While pheasant hunting in Kansas went into a small liquor store and found a couple of bottles of Weller 107. Couldn't believe it. I like it better than the Old Rip Van Winkle I lucked into a few years back. I do like wheaters.
Hobbes_mobile
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hobbes_mobile »

This is more my style and I don't require a lot or very often.

RapscallionVermilion

I'd buy that just for the label. But I do like wheat beers, especially in the summer. Allagash White is my favorite, but impossible to find out here.
Hobbes_mobile
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hobbes_mobile »

In general, Montana's are quite proud of products made in MT. Big Sky has some other cool labels, but Trout Slayer is by far my favorite of their beer. Moose Drool is probably the coolest name.

RapscallionVermilion

Great labels. Moose Drool I've found here.
liv2hnt

Post by liv2hnt »

RapscallionVermilion wrote: May 20th, 2019, 11:25 pm I've not been fortunate to find some Weller 12. While pheasant hunting in Kansas went into a small liquor store and found a couple of bottles of Weller 107. Couldn't believe it. I like it better than the Old Rip Van Winkle I lucked into a few years back. I do like wheaters.
Wheat Whiskey is my weakness.

Good stuff.
Prospector

Post by Prospector »

Agree with the Pinhoti guys: my fave by far. Watch the HP but haven’t even seen all of them. Tend to believe they are mostly inexperienced but am entertained at times....
I just like real life turkey hunting- which often is not synonymous with “killing”. And I am sick of seeing tents n dekes on EVERY freaking hunt elsewhere. I realize it’s a method but sheesh show other ways too!
I like these bc you don’t see the kill shot every time or very clear bc they ain’t as staged as the bigger names.
I think that it is how my own hunts would look if I had the cam and the ability. My hats off to any who carry a cam around and huntem !
“Son, Turkey HUNTING starts at 40yds and in. If you can kill him farther that’s all you’re doing- KILLING. Make him think he’s answering you, call him up, kill him closer-Man! Now that’s what it’s meant to be…” Johnnie Keel ( an Old Pro most never know)
Cut N Run

Post by Cut N Run »

I usually start watching turkey hunting videos around February when the weather sucks & I'm tired of winter....also a good time to drink. If it's real hunting & they're willing to admit their mistakes & misses, I'll watch. I admire & respect Dave's calling ability on Pinhoti Project.

Cold San Miguel beer is hard to beat, but Pacifico or Red Seal Ale will do for me. A friend makes peach brandy that is amazingly smooth & very high octane. Too easy to like too much.

Jim
joey46

Post by joey46 »

Found some Pappy VanWinkle on line for $1,099.00. LOL. That is a planned shortage by the distillery IMO. Their yearly runs are very limited. Asked a liquor store manager about it. She said it never goes on sale to the public. The employees will buy it all and then "scalp" it like Super Bowl tickets. Actual list price on it isn't too extreme according to her. Went to a charity event once where it was $100 a shot. The serious drinkers thought that was a good deal. Unusual turn to this thread isn't it?
Hognutz
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hognutz »

For a $100 a shot, it would have to cure cancer, bad eyesight, loss of hearing and an occasional battle with gout!
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
I am the man from Nantucket.
“Leave the gun, take the cannoli” -Clemensa
When attacked by a group of clowns...Go for the Juggler!!
Southern Sportsman
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Southern Sportsman »

For turkey hunting videos, I’ve not found anything close to Pinhoti. 1 or 2 guys hunting mainly on public land, no dekes, no sponsorship plugs, calling and killing birds in the woods with 20 gauges. Chubbs offers great comic relief. Someone mentioned Catman Outdoors. He’s a really good dude. Regular poster on a TN forum I frequent. He didn’t start turkey hunting until around 5 years ago. He asked tons of questions, gladly admitted his beginner’s ignorance, and just took to the woods with a shotgun and a homemade wingbone call. He just hunts public ground and has become a very respectable killer of turkeys. That said, he has ruffled a LOT of feathers with a lot of middle TN guys by sharing way too much information about the places he hunts. By all accounts hunting pressure has doubled on many of the WMAs he frequents since he became a youtube personality. I haven’t watched THP turkey videos, but I like their deer hunts. I loved the Primos videos before they switched from a turkey call company to a turkey tent/decoy/gimmick company. Now they are insufferable to watch.

As for whiskey, I was a Jack on the rocks guy for years. But lately it has given me a headache every morning after I drink it. I’m currently on a Woodford Reserve kick.
Last edited by Southern Sportsman on May 22nd, 2019, 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
I go stubbornly into error by myself, and reach my own fallacious conclusions using my own faulty data. ~Tom Kelly
swampchicken

Post by swampchicken »

I have seen trout slayer in MO but never tried it.
jryser

Post by jryser »

I love Dave, Chubbs, and Courtenay with Pinhoti, Catman, and most importantly love THP bc I get to write the music for em. And I get to hunt with them and learn one helluva lot of info. And apply it to my hunting skills! I love to film and my mom’s and my hunt is my all time favorite (just uploaded) including my flight with Mario Andretti that I uploaded a few days earlier.

As for drink? Straight vodka - cold, warm, whatever. I stopped all that 20 years ago and now have a bumper sticker that says “Instant A-hole, just add alcohol”

[emoji23][emoji12][emoji2957]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

Hognutz wrote: May 22nd, 2019, 10:08 am For a $100 a shot, it would have to cure cancer, bad eyesight, loss of hearing and an occasional battle with gout!
Bwahaha sal was picking up some captain private stock 35 ish a fifth here. Guy behind her said I believe Castillo eight bucks try it. Honestly amazing. Tastes the same.
Longspurs

Post by Longspurs »

Well I’ll admit I was wrong. Just watched the THP on YouTube one of there buddies stalks up and shoots a bearded hen dusting in a field. They are garbage as far as I’m concerned
timbrhuntr
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by timbrhuntr »

Longspurs wrote: May 31st, 2019, 9:19 pm Well I’ll admit I was wrong. Just watched the THP on YouTube one of there buddies stalks up and shoots a bearded hen dusting in a field. They are garbage as far as I’m concerned
Post a link to that one please. I have watched most of their videos and don't remember that one !
paboxcall

Post by paboxcall »

Link to the THP youtube page noted above, the last of their 2019 tour, is below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aoanRZsfwSM
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer

Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
pedro
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by pedro »

Sure looks like a bird was hit when he missed the double.
guesswho
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by guesswho »

pedro wrote: June 2nd, 2019, 7:07 am Sure looks like a bird was hit when he missed the double.
Yep, I agree. Looks like there could have been a dead bird there?
Double Naught Spy!
RCD's Owner----------------Badonka Deke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff-------------Lighter Than HTL Shooter
The Storm Whistle Prostaff
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey Calls Prostaff
swampchicken

Post by swampchicken »

Definitely a dead bird behind the 2 Male turkeys he shot at.
OLE RASPY
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by OLE RASPY »

I seen that to.
TURKEYS
COYOTES
DEER
SQUIRRELS
(all in this order)
timbrhuntr
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by timbrhuntr »

When I watch it you can see 3 birds taking off. The one in front drops then jumps into flight. The one just behind jumps right up at the shot and the third takes off from the left ! It could be that the front one was hit but who knows. It is funny how the camera shifts away. I'm sure there is more footage as Jake guy says there was a wad of them. Interesting I find it hard to believe that they didn't at least go and check. Kinda makes me wonder a bit now they always seem to try to do the right thing but sure is odd maybe I'm wrong about the hen thing too hope not !
Swampstalk

Post by Swampstalk »

Well boys, as far as the bearded hen goes, I would have passed. But that's me. It was a legal harvest in that state. Personal choice. Same for personal preference on liberations. I prefer rums. Guess that was an acquired taste while in the Navy. Grew up on whiskey and/or bourbon, but too many occasions barfing up my anal sphincter. Had a taste of the Droptine Moonshine a while back, which is made by a couple of hunting brothers. Uses persimmons and apples, as being favored foods of deer. Bought some for some family and friends and they all liked the smooth taste. They have added some really nice vodka, and more recently added a bourbon aged in brandy barrels. Online sales only as of yet. https://droptine.passionspirits.com/droptine.html
Don
jdjnicholson

Post by jdjnicholson »

More boozin' and bitchin'.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Return to “Gobbler Talk”