Michigan guys

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
Shiloh

Michigan guys

Post by Shiloh »

I’m headed up from MS on Wednesday. I know where I’m hunting and staying, but had some questions about the terrain on the public land that I’ll be hunting. If there is someone out there that would PM me I’d sure like to pick your brain for a minute. There are a few things that are hard to tell just by looking at maps on the computer. I’ll be on the west side of the state.
soiltester
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Michigan guys

Post by soiltester »

Headed there at 6 tonight and will drive all night & scout 1st thing in the a.m.. I'm in flat to rolling farm country north of Lansing, so can't help you out.
Already wet & calling for rain 3 of the weekday mornings so far :shock:
Maybe ICETURKES can help as I've probably never hunted where you'll be.
I doubt the terrain will be anything that is like the north west U.P in Ontonagon County and probably more rolling in the woods :banghead:
ever wonder where the white goes when the snow melts??
Shiloh

Post by Shiloh »

It doesn’t look too bad on the topo map, but a lot of the place looks pretty thick.
soiltester
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by soiltester »

Shiloh wrote: May 11th, 2019, 3:52 pm It doesn’t look too bad on the topo map, but a lot of the place looks pretty thick.
I very well could be ..keep your map out when scouting ;)
ever wonder where the white goes when the snow melts??
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

Where at?
redarrow
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by redarrow »

Terrain wont be a problem . We have some hills and such .Nothing to beconcerned about.
Put you plans in the nail scarred hands.
Shiloh

Post by Shiloh »

Sent you a pm ICDEDTURKES
Dtrkyman

Post by Dtrkyman »

I would call it a lack of terrain where I hunted, very flat with lots of impenetrable cutover, good nesting for sure.

Very wet and birds were roosted over water in some sloughs, a ridiculous amount of mushroom hunters and more trash than I’ve ever seen, I mean it was a garbage dump!

Lots of birds though and not too much pressure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

Shiloh wrote: May 11th, 2019, 9:09 pm Sent you a pm ICDEDTURKES
Way South of my wheelhouse. Sal and I have a bunch of the best private over three counties but we hunt public alot.

If I give you a piece advice buy hunt onx. Find the small parcels 40-80 acres nestled to private. I never ever thought I'd see population like late 90s we surpassed it. These are the good old days.

You get further north let me know
timbrhuntr
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by timbrhuntr »

About 16 or 17 years ago I used to hunt the Manistee National Forest near Cadillac. Always got on birds but alot of times I would see birds strutting on private near the forest. I stopped and knocked on a few doors and was able to get permission for turkeys. Most didn't seem to care about turkeys just deer !
Probably get in trouble for this but go check out Michigan-sportsman.com lots of info there.
Last edited by timbrhuntr on May 12th, 2019, 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shiloh

Post by Shiloh »

Thanks guys!! I am pretty open as to where to go. I’m flying into Grand Rapids. I was advised to go to this area, but it sounds like I should’ve gone a little further north maybe.
Shiloh

Post by Shiloh »

I’ve got OnX ICDEDTURKES. I use it a ton and will definitely be using it up there.

Return to “Gobbler Talk”