Day 19, 05/10, of the 2019 Ohio Spring Turkey Season.

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Day 19, 05/10, of the 2019 Ohio Spring Turkey Season.

Post by HunterGKS »

It was 67 & cloudy with a strong breeze at 05:38 A.M. with a mist in the air. Everything
was pretty wet after yesterday’s storms so the 1st 100 yards or so into the woods was
like being on a slip & slide. WEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!! The song birds were singing a little
more than yesterday but still not as much as usual. The same for the crows but I only
heard the geese once. There was a dog barking its head off at the far end of the woods,
probably the people that live there as the dog stopped after several minutes.

At 08:40, a squirrel showed up. At 09:05, a hen fed in from the west right to the decoys.
She stood in the same spot for 10+ minutes before moving a few feet to the other side of
the dekes. I was able to get out my camera & take a few shots. Another squirrel came
in at about the same time. The hen fed off but returned at 09:58 for several more minutes
before heading east again.
01.JPG
03.JPG
06.JPG
08.JPG
At 10:59, another hen came in from the west but only stayed for a few minutes, 11:03, of
posing for pics. For some reason, my trail cam didn’t get tripped by either hen so I got no
video or pics from it.
09.JPG
10.JPG
11.JPG
12.JPG
I was contemplating leaving at 11:12 when I spotted a gobbler out on the edge. It did the
same” stuff” as Tuesday with the strutting & all. It strutted west to the end of a brush pile,
entered the woods, & started towards me. For some reason, it turned & went back out to
the edge. At 11:55, he was back to the west strutting. I had been trying sweet & sassy calling
with no results with no success so tried nasty & raspy. Still no go. He strutted back east behind
the pile & I would occasionally catch a glimpse of his strutting behind, errrrr, tail. The last time
I saw his was 12:40.

This is where the bird struts & travels up on the grass with not a track in the mud.
14.JPG
15.JPG
I went out to the edge to try & find a spot to sit where I could intercept him. ‘If the mountain
will not come to Muhammad, then Muhammad must go to the mountain.' In other words, if that
@#$%^&*()_ won’t play fair, then neither will I. I found a spot where I can put my small blind &
turkey lounger chair that is tucked into some small trees & saplings giving me some additional
cover as well as a pretty good shooting lane. I am also going light, leaving my vest in the truck
& taking only the essentials. I have no idea where I got the turkey Thug fanny pack but it will be
put to good use tomorrow.
02.JPG
It was 52, still cloudy & windy when I left at 01:30 P.M. & tomorrow is supposed to be in the 40s.
Even though the chance of rain is only 15%, I think I’m going to wear my rain gear. I’ll be sitting
in the open & would rather have it on & nor need it than the reverse. Dontcha just love spring!!!!
George

YOU KNOW YOU HAVE TO KEEP YOUR BODY STILL. YOUR HEART JUST HASN'T CAUGHT ON.

.17 = NITRO OF THE RIMFIRE WORLD USAF 1969-1973

spider316
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Day 19, 05/10, of the 2019 Ohio Spring Turkey Season.

Post by spider316 »

All is fare in love and Turkey hunting, thanks for the report, good luck tomorrow
The most experienced novice Turkey hunter the good Lord ever created !
HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by HunterGKS »

spider316 wrote: May 10th, 2019, 3:34 pm All is fare in love and Turkey hunting, thanks for the report, good luck tomorrow
Yes it is. Thx.
George

soiltester
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by soiltester »

I also would have take my portable blind and put it just in from the edge of the woods when visibility is best and set the decoys, 1 out in the clear sight area that runs along the woods and another in a bit with lots of open around it. :thumbup: If it's a full blind you can set it anywhere with no problems!!
If it warms much more that wheat will grow high enough the toms will feed for bugs and squat down when you see them. :shock:
Then go out and flush & wing shoot them at close range :thumbup: Seen it done more times than most!! :stir: ;)

Keep at em' and play & beat him at his game :lol:
ever wonder where the white goes when the snow melts??
HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by HunterGKS »

soiltester wrote: May 10th, 2019, 3:52 pm I also would have take my portable blind and put it just in from the edge of the woods when visibility is best and set the decoys, 1 out in the clear sight area that runs along the woods and another in a bit with lots of open around it. :thumbup:

I have a really good spot picked ou inside the woods with clear lines of sight but still hidden, The way this
bird acts, I'm going to set the dekes where I usually do. He doesn't seem attracted to them, maybe just the opposite.

If it's a full blind you can set it anywhere with no problems!!

Not a full blind. Just a 3' tall wrap around blind.

If it warms much more that wheat will grow high enough the toms will feed for bugs and squat down when you see them. :shock:
Then go out and flush & wing shoot them at close range :thumbup: Seen it done more times than most!! :stir: ;)

That's alfalfa.

Keep at em' and play & beat him at his game :lol:

I'll try my best.
George

soiltester
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by soiltester »

George .. take a close up pic of that *alfalfa" fer' me, as you must have a new variety that looks like winter wheat, that is fall planted & should look like the pics. this time of year!! :drunken:
It's even turnin' yeller like wheat would in wet & soggy conditions :banghead:

Course, a lot has changed since I got tired back in 05 8-)
ever wonder where the white goes when the snow melts??

Return to “Gobbler Talk”