Broadhead Wound in Today's Tom

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
Hobbes_mobile
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Broadhead Wound in Today's Tom

Post by Hobbes_mobile »

This bird strutted all morning with three hens and gobbled occasionally. When he decided to come he gobbled his head off before committing and marching in. He was still the edge of range when he decided he wasn't seeing what he should in that open area and turned to leave just before I killed him.

He acted and sounded like any turkey, but I knew he smelled as bad as any turkey that I had ever cut open. It didn't look like anything was wrong, but dang he smelled bad.

Here is why...... a broadhead through the front of his breast and crop. The wound was plugged with feathers and crop material, but was crusted over. It must have been an expandable because one side was just a round hole and the other (I'm assuming the exit) was a 1.5" triangle.

I was able to cut the front 1/3 away and salvage the rest.

Last edited by Hobbes_mobile on May 7th, 2019, 8:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
jdjnicholson

Re: Broadhead Wound in Today's Tom

Post by jdjnicholson »

Wow....that's something. They are no joke against archery equipment.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Hognutz
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hognutz »

WOW!
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
I am the man from Nantucket.
“Leave the gun, take the cannoli” -Clemensa
When attacked by a group of clowns...Go for the Juggler!!
Hobbes_mobile
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hobbes_mobile »

jdjnicholson wrote: May 6th, 2019, 8:52 pm Wow....that's something. They are no joke against archery equipment.

The shot was way too far forward. I'd guess that is how most of them that are lost get hit.
timbrhuntr
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by timbrhuntr »

Thats why I shoot the magnus bullhead for turkeys. Chops off their head or misses !
crenshawco

Post by crenshawco »

I dont understand the bowhunting for turkeys fascination. That crap is for deer hunting. Turkeys are meant to be shot in the head with a shotgun. I cringe everytime I watch a video of a bow shot gobbler go running and flopping
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

crenshawco wrote: May 6th, 2019, 9:57 pm I dont understand the bowhunting for turkeys fascination. That crap is for deer hunting. Turkeys are meant to be shot in the head with a shotgun. I cringe everytime I watch a video of a bow shot gobbler go running and flopping
I have killed a couple with a bow.. I would much rather bust a noggin with a shotgun
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
Hobbes_mobile
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hobbes_mobile »

crenshawco wrote: May 6th, 2019, 9:57 pm I dont understand the bowhunting for turkeys fascination. That crap is for deer hunting. Turkeys are meant to be shot in the head with a shotgun. I cringe everytime I watch a video of a bow shot gobbler go running and flopping
I'm not opposed to bowhunting them, it just never turned me on and I love bowhunting deer and elk. I've a friend that bowhunts them exclusively. The only time that I may consider it would be an early season hunt with him in NE or SD.
Grumpy
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Grumpy »

I wouldn't eat any of that bird, it's got to have some bad bacteria all thru the meat from the blood. I shot a deer a couple of times with old stinking bullet wounds and they were left right where I killed them.
I was not his father but he was my son,,MAK IV, 10-15-1993 - 4-22-2007
"Rest in Peace my Little Buddy"
jdjnicholson

Post by jdjnicholson »

crenshawco wrote:I dont understand the bowhunting for turkeys fascination. That crap is for deer hunting. Turkeys are meant to be shot in the head with a shotgun. I cringe everytime I watch a video of a bow shot gobbler go running and flopping
I've killed close to 150 with a bow. It's what I like to do. Gun hunting to me is just a change of pace ment to be used when I Fall hunt or want to use my .410

southpaw

Post by southpaw »

We all choose our weapon of chose. At some point you will not make a perfect shot. Nobody is perfect. Glad that you got him.
Turkinator
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Turkinator »

Amazing how much damage they can withstand and still survive! I’ve killed them with lead shot wounds but that’s some kind of a wound!
howl
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by howl »

They can take a lot of punishment. I've killed quite a few with multiple sizes of shot in them. Killed once this year with several dozen large lead shot in one breast.

I hope the person who pulled that stunt counted it toward his limit.
Southern Sportsman
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Southern Sportsman »

I personally don’t like sitting in a tent and hunting over a decoy which is how most people bow hunt them for obvious reasons. I know a few people who hunt them in the “traditional” method. If you’re good enough to kill one with a bow like that, you deserve a ton of respect. But I’ve got no plans to ever try it. For a couple reasons. One, I don’t think I’m a good enough bow hunter. I could get in front of turkeys, but it’s all I can do to keep my composure long enough to shoot a deer from a treestand with a bow - much less a turkey from the ground. And two, I really, really, really like watching that head fold backwards as he crumples in a heap of majesty. I don’t think shooting one with a bow and (hopefully) watching it run off a few yards and die would provide the same soul warming satisfaction. For me, what Will Primos once said is true: turkey hunting is a shotgun sport.
Last edited by Southern Sportsman on May 7th, 2019, 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I go stubbornly into error by myself, and reach my own fallacious conclusions using my own faulty data. ~Tom Kelly
soiltester
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by soiltester »

I've had a couple spurred up pretty bad over the years, but that takes the cake!! :shock:
Hope ya' got the bad meat cut out and cook em' well and do taste test before ya' dig into eatin' him :thumbup:
ever wonder where the white goes when the snow melts??
SwampDrummin

Post by SwampDrummin »

Sorry to add to the hijack, but I’ve got a buddy who likes to lecture me every year about how I need to elevate my game and start using a bow rather than shotgun. Good principal; however, his idea of this elevated challenge is sitting in a tent with a compound bow looking out over decoys placed at 10 yards. (He also likes to bash reddots when he has pins on his bow.)

I really have nothing against doing this, it’s a different experience being able to watch them up close like that. Whatever floats you boat you know. But man does my ass get sore when he starts talking like he’s in a class of his own challenge wise.

Like Southern Sportsman said. If you can kill them with bow without any decoys or a blind (my buddy can’t) then I’ve got mad respect for you.

I stalked and shot a gobbler from the ground once in the fall. It was a harrowing experience. I thought I nailed him at 14 yards and the arrow was standing straight up in the ground. He disappeared and I couldn’t find him before dark. The next morning I spooked him after he had spent the night in a stump. I actually saw him on the ground and his head was so shrunken from the cold I thought it was a buzzard and missed my opportunity to finish him. Felt sick and that was the end of any desire I had to shoot turkeys with a bow.
Magdump

Post by Magdump »

I have been bow hunting for almost 40 years. I have taken turkeys with a bow.

That being said, shots like this one are why i don't bow hunt for turkeys. Lots of wounding and lost birds. Gobblers deserve better than archery gear.
Grumpy
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Grumpy »

Magdump wrote: May 7th, 2019, 5:40 pm I have been bow hunting for almost 40 years. I have taken turkeys with a bow.

That being said, shots like this one are why i don't bow hunt for turkeys. Lots of wounding and lost birds. Gobblers deserve better than archery gear.
:thumbup: bingo folks we have a winner :cheers:
I was not his father but he was my son,,MAK IV, 10-15-1993 - 4-22-2007
"Rest in Peace my Little Buddy"
wingbonehntr

Post by wingbonehntr »

I shot one a few years ago that had been shot with a bow. He came in gobbling and strutting the whole way. He stunk really bad and was full of maggots.
Attachments
C4A32CD0-4929-478C-ADEB-ED6276BDD5F5.jpeg
Hognutz
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hognutz »

Yuck! You put him out of his misery!
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
I am the man from Nantucket.
“Leave the gun, take the cannoli” -Clemensa
When attacked by a group of clowns...Go for the Juggler!!
WV Ridge Reaper
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by WV Ridge Reaper »

I’m not trying to take away from the original post but I have some yummy ones.

This first pic was from last year,I don’t know how this one was still alive let alone gobbling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The man who passes the sentence should swing the sword
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

WV Ridge Reaper wrote: May 7th, 2019, 10:08 pm I’m not trying to take away from the original post but I have some yummy ones.

This first pic was from last year,I don’t know how this one was still alive let alone gobbling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Man Reaper thats crazy!!! critters in general have a will to survive and I have seen crazy wounded animals that you just can't believe they are even alive.
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
willie

Post by willie »

no way would i eat those .
Turkinator
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Turkinator »

I bow hunt, but not for turkeys. The sad fact that causes the archery talk crowd’s heads to spin is the number of wounded and unrecoverable deer every year. How many times do we hear, blood trail started good then down to a drop occasionally? Even archery talk used to have a help me find my deer thread! Before you pick up the flamethrower, I bow hunt deer, and yes deer are lost in gun season. Like a previous poster,?i have buddies who ask me when I’m going to bow hunt turkeys? My answer is probably never, unless it would be an archery only season.
crow

Post by crow »

Grumpy wrote: May 6th, 2019, 11:13 pm I wouldn't eat any of that bird, it's got to have some bad bacteria all thru the meat from the blood. I shot a deer a couple of times with old stinking bullet wounds and they were left right where I killed them.

I'm with Grumpy on not eating this turkey, that infection is in the bloodstream and all thru the meat.
I would throw it out

Return to “Gobbler Talk”