Day 15, 05/06, of the 2019 Ohio Spring Turkey Season.

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Day 15, 05/06, of the 2019 Ohio Spring Turkey Season.

Post by HunterGKS »

At 05:47 A.M., it was 48, calm, starry, & no moon. As I started into the woods. 2 owls
sounded off to the SE. At 05:58, another owl called from the NW &, at 06:01, 3 started
calling right behind me. I must have walked under them. It sounded like an old bird &
2 younger ones. It was a pretty cool concert to start the morning. At 06:35, was that a
gobbler to the far NW? Why yes…..Yes it was. I called, no response.

At 08:05, I heard a gobble from the NW a little closer. We conversed for 20 minutes with
him sounding eager but no moving. I decided to try the silent approach. It worked about
as well as calling. He shut up as well. I called again at 09:30 with no response.

At 10:05, 3 doe ran west out in the green field with flags flying. I have no idea what
spooked them.

At 11:00, a vole entered the blind for a visit, ran across my foot, eyed my sandwich, & left.
At 11:45, 4 squirrels started chasing each other all over the woods. A small wren landed
inside the blind for a couple of seconds as well.

At 12:18 P.M., a bird gobbled to the NW & was a lot closer. We talked for a few minutes
when he went quiet. A12:25, a bird strutted from the east along the outside edge of the
woods. My 1st thought was: “How the heck did that bird get there from where he was
gobbling without me seeing him?” Then the 1st bird gobbled behind me within a couple
of hundred yards. 2 GOBBLERS!!!! The strutter didn’t gobble & only came a few feet into
the woods. I sweet talked him to no avail. The gobbling bird also stopped.

I called off & on until 02:30 when I decided I had enough & needed to get back to the
house & do a little catch up which included successfully pulling out the Ferris mower &
finishing the mowing.

I use a jake & hen decoy. I think the gobblers may have had their tails kicked by the 3
Amigos &are intimidated by any jake so will change it up tomorrow & use 2 hens & no jake.
George

YOU KNOW YOU HAVE TO KEEP YOUR BODY STILL. YOUR HEART JUST HASN'T CAUGHT ON.

.17 = NITRO OF THE RIMFIRE WORLD USAF 1969-1973

joey46

Re: Day 15, 05/06, of the 2019 Ohio Spring Turkey Season.

Post by joey46 »

Good luck. The only jake we've used late in a season is the Funky Chicken. Can't believe he intimidates anything. Good you have a least two around to play with.
HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Day 15, 05/06, of the 2019 Ohio Spring Turkey Season.

Post by HunterGKS »

joey46 wrote: May 7th, 2019, 4:56 am Good luck. The only jake we've used late in a season is the Funky Chicken. Can't believe he intimidates anything. Good you have a least two around to play with.
Thx. I've been using an AvianX 3/4 size, half-strut jake. The 8 jakes I've
encountered sure weren't scared ofhim with 3 of them "killing" him.
We shall see.
George

YOU KNOW YOU HAVE TO KEEP YOUR BODY STILL. YOUR HEART JUST HASN'T CAUGHT ON.

.17 = NITRO OF THE RIMFIRE WORLD USAF 1969-1973

Return to “Gobbler Talk”