S. Ga. Hunting buddy

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

S. Ga. Hunting buddy

Post by GLS »

Yesterday.
spider316
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: S. Ga. Hunting buddy

Post by spider316 »

No way, I'm OUT !!!
The most experienced novice Turkey hunter the good Lord ever created !
guesswho
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by guesswho »

He could go his way and I'd go mine. And if he wanted to go my way I'd go his.
Last edited by guesswho on May 3rd, 2019, 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Double Naught Spy!
RCD's Owner----------------Badonka Deke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff-------------Lighter Than HTL Shooter
The Storm Whistle Prostaff
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey Calls Prostaff
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

Yep, you leave me alone and I'll do the same. The only time I'd kill one would be if my dogs or others were in danger.
soiltester
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by soiltester »

I ainta' touchin' that one :o
ever wonder where the white goes when the snow melts??
Grumpy
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Grumpy »

Not for me, I only don't like 2 kinds of snakes....big ones and little ones.
I was not his father but he was my son,,MAK IV, 10-15-1993 - 4-22-2007
"Rest in Peace my Little Buddy"
howl
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by howl »

Sat down in Mid Ga woods a couple weeks a go. Reached out to snap off a limb and noticed a six footer coiled up a little further up the limb. We discussed it a minute and decided it could keep that spot.

It was the second snake I saw up about head level that day. I can watch the ground or the trees but not both.
Southern Sportsman
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Southern Sportsman »

I got almost completely astride of this one last year before I saw him. They don’t bother me, but this one was sunning in the middle of a trail in a place I really couldn’t go around.

I go stubbornly into error by myself, and reach my own fallacious conclusions using my own faulty data. ~Tom Kelly
Hognutz
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hognutz »

I admire the restraint you guys show on not killing these things. Luckily we don’t have to deal with snakes that want to kill you, up here!
If we did, I’m thinking that they would get treated like a mosquito, by me..
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
I am the man from Nantucket.
“Leave the gun, take the cannoli” -Clemensa
When attacked by a group of clowns...Go for the Juggler!!
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

This morning, I decided to go cross country in the dark through about 500 yards of swamp to an isolated location where I killed a bird this year. I figured I could hear birds that would be hard to hear on the trail. This time I had a wading staff cut from an oak sapling. Last time I tried this, I didn't have staff and went to my knees in cold water with air temps in the 30's. I usually don't use a light in the woods, but since it was dark, I started off with a headlamp on. When I got to the water's edge, there lie a 3' banded water snake on the bottom of a foot of water. I nudged him out of the way with the oak staff and he cooperated. They can be aggressive, but he boogeyed out of there without further ado. I wasn't too far from where I saw my buddy earlier in the week. "Strategerie" didn't work as I didn't hear a peep. Not a good morning as a front had pushed through at night and dropped a lot of rain.
willie

Post by willie »

i would shoot it and stomp it and go find another spot to hunt.i hate all snakes and wouldn't hesitate sending a load of tss his way.i treat them like a coyote.
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

Kill it and grill it!
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
Hobbes_mobile
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hobbes_mobile »

I'll usually let em be if I can, but if I think they pose a threat for my next hunt.........

However, I won't see that kind of snake in MT. Bull snakes and prairie Rattlers here. I saw a big bull snake last week in Eastern MT. They act mean as heck hissing and raising their head, but are known to kill rattle snakes.
BumbleFoot

Post by BumbleFoot »

Southern Sportsman wrote: May 4th, 2019, 8:57 am I got almost completely astride of this one last year before I saw him. They don’t bother me, but this one was sunning in the middle of a trail in a place I really couldn’t go around.

I think he’s saying “rub my belly and I’ll be your friend.”
taylorjones20

Post by taylorjones20 »

I'm just curious as to where all "after" pics are???
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

This was in the news a few years ago when Einstein kissed the cottonmouth he is holding in the "before" photo. The results of the kiss are in the "after" photo. According to news reports, to add more insult to the idiocy, the Florida DNR was considering charges because it was not a legal possession of a venomous snake. Bet he is a little more stingy with what he tries to "kiss".
[URL=http://www.jpgbox.com/page/56913_600x400/]Image[/URL
Grumpy
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Grumpy »

That is just a picture of a failed "nature culling out a stupid a$$", one day he will run out of luck and nature will protect us all by taking that idiot out of the gene pool so he can't reproduce a whole nest of idiots.
I was not his father but he was my son,,MAK IV, 10-15-1993 - 4-22-2007
"Rest in Peace my Little Buddy"
Longspurs

Post by Longspurs »

I always carry a couple of dove loads just for snakes I never , ever leave a water moccasin alive. If I happen to be close to a Gobbler a good stick will take care of it just as easy. One shot at a snake won’t matter much to a distant Gobbler.
Southern Sportsman
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Southern Sportsman »

taylorjones20 wrote: May 5th, 2019, 10:51 am I'm just curious as to where all "after" pics are???
It’s illegal to kill them in TN. You just have to . . . ummm . . . “relocate” them.
I go stubbornly into error by myself, and reach my own fallacious conclusions using my own faulty data. ~Tom Kelly
spider316
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by spider316 »

Southern Sportsman wrote: May 4th, 2019, 8:57 am I got almost completely astride of this one last year before I saw him. They don’t bother me, but this one was sunning in the middle of a trail in a place I really couldn’t go around.

I'm gonna admit it, that picture gave me chill bumps :o . Good Lord I couldn't do it !
spider316
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by spider316 »

I'm gonna admit it, that picture gave me chill bumps :shock: Good Lord I couldn't do it !
Prospector

Post by Prospector »

Saw this one April 6th on way out. He was probably pretty close when I crossed there earlier in the dark. Notice how he’s colored from the clay “stain” in the swamp. I normally leave em be provided there is no territorial dispute.
Attachments
DF6940C0-E7C5-4320-8D24-6E2E85D89CD3.jpeg
“Son, Turkey HUNTING starts at 40yds and in. If you can kill him farther that’s all you’re doing- KILLING. Make him think he’s answering you, call him up, kill him closer-Man! Now that’s what it’s meant to be…” Johnnie Keel ( an Old Pro most never know)
Cut N Run

Post by Cut N Run »

I've run into moccasins east of here and most seem to be born with an attitude. We're more likely to find copperheads here and it depends on the individual how they act. Some are hot, some are not. Every one I see makes my heart skip, even if they can't kill a person.

Jim
Muzzy61

Post by Muzzy61 »

willie wrote: May 4th, 2019, 4:57 pm i would shoot it and stomp it and go find another spot to hunt.i hate all snakes and wouldn't hesitate sending a load of tss his way.i treat them like a coyote.
^^^^
This
howl
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by howl »

I'm too cheap to shoot one. If they need killin I just pin it down and sever the head. Hardly ever have to, though.

Water mocassins are different. They're worse than a gator for coming after you. I had one follow me around a pond one morning. Every time I ceded the spot, here it came again. Three strikes and it was out.

Return to “Gobbler Talk”