Eastern MT Riverbottoms

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
Hobbes_mobile
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Eastern MT Riverbottoms

Post by Hobbes_mobile »

I've had to create a second account to log in. I apparently used an oddball password that I couldn't recall and cannot get a new password request to come through. Even tried emailing the website but nothing. Maybe I should take it personal :) , but I'm assuming there is something up with either my Hotmail account or the forum.

I'm in the Eastern third of the state trying to hunt a little. I've not had much luck. I worked one yesterday morning with nothing to show for it. I heard another bird on land that I can hunt but found someone else hunting it. I think they bumped it eventually because it was strutting in a field between them and their truck. I think they finally said the heck with it and walked to their truck. A short hunt this morning in the same location was a bust with one bird heard on inaccessible property and one strutter seen on another inaccessible property next to the road. I could only hunt an hour this morning before needing to actually work. The wind is now rocking at about 25 to 30 mph, so the rest of the day after work may be shot.

I've got a couple more days out here but it's not looking good so far. Hopefully this wind goes away.

There was a stubborn henned-up riverbottoms bird out there, but he's still roaming around somewhere. I thought I had the hens hooked up to drag him in, but my hook-set was apparently weak.

I wanted to get a photo of this red walking by, but got more than expected. It had no idea I was leaning against the cottonwood until it was less than 10 feet away and followed my boots up to my eyes.

Cool sunset, but no gobbling.
Last edited by Hobbes_mobile on April 23rd, 2019, 11:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
MAK

Re: Riverbottoms

Post by MAK »

Great views - at least you’re hunting while I’m waiting on the sidelines for PA season to start Saturday. Good luck continue to enjoy your time afield.
MAK
Hobbes_mobile
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hobbes_mobile »

Just got a lead on a strutter that a coworker saw a couple of weeks ago. He may be dead or long gone but it's welcome intel
soiltester
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by soiltester »

Go n' git' em' .. beautiful pics. :thumbup:
ever wonder where the white goes when the snow melts??
Hognutz
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hognutz »

Great pic, Hobbes. Your are the camera Wizard. Continued good luck!
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
I am the man from Nantucket.
“Leave the gun, take the cannoli” -Clemensa
When attacked by a group of clowns...Go for the Juggler!!
Hobbes_mobile
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Eastern MT Riverbottoms

Post by Hobbes_mobile »

Tip turned out to be dead on. Strutter with three hens right where he said they were 2 weeks ago. Problem was that they were there before I could get there and I don't have much room to work with. The timber is on a neighboring property and runs right up to the corner I was planning to hunt. So, I have a field with a few trees along a levee (extension of timber) from neighbor and a thick fence row that borders neighbor.

I managed to make it to far end of thick fence from them against a big cottonwood, but they had no interest in coming my way.m, so I spent the evening watching them when they were in the field.

I don't like being confined to "a spot", but don't have much choice. They and another tom that I heard (probably has his own hens) are roosted back from corner, so I'll be there at O'dark thirty in the morning since one group may be close enough to see me.

Several things may go wrong, but gotta try. I'll start off not saying a peep and let it be nothing more than an ambush if necessary.

Looking down fence row toward corner with turkeys. Corner is a hair left of barrel.
Panorama from same point. Posted sign far right.

One of them is roosted across there. Both are roosted on posted property.
Sunset
soiltester
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by soiltester »

Ouch .. good luck on a tough hunt!! :thumbup:
ever wonder where the white goes when the snow melts??
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

That fox turn inside out and split when he figured what the boots were??? 😆

Awesome pictures as always!
I also messaged you on your pw
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
WoodMoose

Post by WoodMoose »

real nice pictures,,,,looks like nice country
Hobbes_mobile
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hobbes_mobile »

hoobilly wrote: April 24th, 2019, 7:54 am That fox turn inside out and split when he figured what the boots were??? 😆

Awesome pictures as always!
I also messaged you on your pw
I think it was my eyes that did it. It only bolted around the tree, but a second look when I leaned around sent it running.

There must be something up with Hotmail that isn't allowing messages through
Hobbes_mobile
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hobbes_mobile »

This is the jerk that I waisted Wednesday morning and evening on. It was more of a deer hunt and the only company I had was a hen for an hour both morning and evening and a raccoon that climbed the tree behind me.

I could see him from my set up gobbling and strutting in the tree along with a couple of hens. He started gobbling an hour and 15 before sunrise, but flew down and went straight away. He gobbled from the same area this evening 5 or 6 times. I can only hunt an hour and a half in the morning, but I won't be doing that again. I heard another bird this morning on the far end of the property I can hunt. Hopefully he's not on the next property over.

Turn the volume up. I think I have him gobbling three times.

Hobbes_mobile
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hobbes_mobile »

This is the jerk that I waisted Wednesday morning and evening on. It was more of a deer hunt and the only company I had was a hen for an hour both morning and evening and a raccoon that climbed the tree behind me.

I could see him from my set up gobbling and strutting in the tree along with a couple of hens. He started gobbling an hour and 15 before sunrise, but flew down and went straight away. He gobbled from the same area this evening 5 or 6 times. I can only hunt an hour and a half in the morning, but I won't be doing that again. I heard another bird this morning on the far end of the property I can hunt. Hopefully he's not on the next property over. I really need to do some door knocking here.

Turn the volume up. I think I have him gobbling three times. Typical Merriam's gobble. If you listen close you'll also hear a rooster pheasant crow

Last edited by Hobbes_mobile on April 25th, 2019, 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gaswamp

Post by gaswamp »

great pics...headed to south east montana Saturday and looking forward to it.
Hobbes_mobile
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hobbes_mobile »

My riverbottoms hunt was a bust. I finished up with an hour and a half hunt yesterday on a big flock that stayed on a neighboring property. I had 5 jakes run in first thing, 3 to 20 yards. Four strutters and a dozen hens stayed out in a field, with one strutter coming to 100 yards to try to entice me across the fence and into the field. When I didn't show, he marched back to the mob.

I've a work trip to San Diego for a week now, before I can hunt again on the 4th.
joey46

Post by joey46 »

Field birds will drive you crazy no matter what State you are hunting. Great pictures and stories as usual. Yes I could hear the gobbles.

Return to “Gobbler Talk”