Long day Longbeard

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
Southern Sportsman
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Long day Longbeard

Post by Southern Sportsman »

Semi-annual public land hunt with two of my best turkey hunting commrades. Great day. Lots of turkeys and lots of gobbling early. Both of my buddies were on turkeys at daylight but dealt with interference from other hunters. I was on birds too but got whipped the old fashioned way. After lunch one of my buddies struck a bird. He fought a good battle but died around 2:00.

I covered a lot of ground, climbed many ridges, and had a couple birds toy with me via random afternoon gobbles. Around 5:00 PM I headed back to the area where I started nearly 12 hours earlier. Planning for tomorrow, I got on a high ridge in hopes of hearing a bird go to roost. Around 5:30 a hen yelped in the hollow below me and I thought I heard a distant gobble answer at the very edge of earshot. A few minutes passed and the hen yelped again. I yelped back and another gobble - somewhat closer but still too far to worry about this late in the day. 15 minutes pass and I call and was answered immediately. He’s now one ridge over and I realize that the situation is serious. He has covered a LOT of ground in a hurry and it’s nearly an hour until flyup. I decide not to call anymore other than leaf scratching. A few minutes pass and I think I hear drumming. I’ve never been great at picking out drumming unless I already know it’s happening, so I was second guessing myself. Then the drumming became unmistakable - loudest I’ve ever heard. Then I hear him walking in the leaves. Safety off. I see his snow-white head crest my ridge and he stands tall 20 yards away showing off that big bushy beard. I touched the trigger at 6:15 PM. Exhausting day, but in an incredibly satisfying kind of way.

I go stubbornly into error by myself, and reach my own fallacious conclusions using my own faulty data. ~Tom Kelly
Prospector

Re: Long day Longbeard

Post by Prospector »

That is awesome! And your picture is as well. I have to work on my originality and prep for my own. I have every intention of tasteful, beautiful pics but when I see them I am less than impressed. Thankyou for sharing and congratulations!
“Son, Turkey HUNTING starts at 40yds and in. If you can kill him farther that’s all you’re doing- KILLING. Make him think he’s answering you, call him up, kill him closer-Man! Now that’s what it’s meant to be…” Johnnie Keel ( an Old Pro most never know)
BrowningGuy88

Post by BrowningGuy88 »

Awesome hunt and a beautiful bird!
FLGobstopper

Post by FLGobstopper »

I'll take that kind of exhaustion any day. Great job and congrats!
timbrhuntr
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by timbrhuntr »

Congrats ! you guys are killing me I still have a week to go before I head to Kansas !
Grumpy
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Grumpy »

3 days to go here so I better call the landowner and have him take out a couple of caged birds so his son can turn them loose saturday morning when he hears me give the secret whistle.
I was not his father but he was my son,,MAK IV, 10-15-1993 - 4-22-2007
"Rest in Peace my Little Buddy"
MAK

Post by MAK »

Great bird great pictures congrats!

Grumpy don’t forget u r bait (cow patty)
MAK
Hobbes

Post by Hobbes »

What a beard!! Congrats.
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

Great account. Much better without lightning...
appalachianassassin
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by appalachianassassin »

Nice
El Sicario
Dr Juice

Post by Dr Juice »

That Gobbler’s nickname must be Sherwin Williams with a paintbrush like that! Congrats.
Cut N Run

Post by Cut N Run »

Nice bird & story. Congratulations on your determination to make it happen.

Jim

Return to “Gobbler Talk”