All done in Mississippi

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
Prospector

All done in Mississippi

Post by Prospector »

Well it started slow but picked up speed. Went this morning before Church to a place 10 mins from home. I heard two gobbling there about 10 days ago . Called one in with a hen but it was a low percentage shot so I passed figuring I would get another chance. I’ve been back four times mornings(2) andevenings(2) without hearing anything. This is an area of 20+yo pine timber and a SMZ at a good size creek. It’s flat and low and floods when it rains. I’m assuming it used to be a huge hardwood swamp years ago. Anyway, go back this am and hear one gobblin a long way in. Later determined to be about 900yds. I strike out overland and he keeps gobblin. Once I get well on my way I stop and yelp to give impression of a moving hen. He surprises me by answering me one time. I continue to move in and finally get into SMZ with him. I use a downed oak to make the last few yards to set up. The bottom is gorgeous and he is now maybe 100yds so I don’t try to close any further. Out comes my little prospector one sided and I give him a couple/3yelps. He doesn’t answer which is not uncommon here. He does continue to gobble so in a minute I call again and put the box away. It’s his move, I’m not desperate. He goes quite which I rightly take as a good sign. 5minutes of silence and no movement and suddenly he gobbles directly in my face. There is one tree for him to walk behind before there is nothing between us but Mississippi air and he obliges. When he emerges he is covered by the ol (front) sightless 870. 27yds; 20lbs even, 9.75” beard, and matching 1 1/8spurs. Note: I drove all over town looking for a sight replacement yesterday; ended up ordering what I needed but will be a few days getting here. LOL, I’m on a roll, maybe I should just stay smooth barreled....
Anyway done in MISS. Any new friends have a surplus just holla, me and Ol sightless will come give em a whirl! Thanks and GOD Bless!
( I was not even late for Church!)
Attachments
C71D2CB8-7E57-4C41-BA99-30FF298FE2CB.jpeg
DB8FB850-A41A-42C3-A325-3828443CC72F.jpeg
“Son, Turkey HUNTING starts at 40yds and in. If you can kill him farther that’s all you’re doing- KILLING. Make him think he’s answering you, call him up, kill him closer-Man! Now that’s what it’s meant to be…” Johnnie Keel ( an Old Pro most never know)
Grumpy
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: All done in Mississippi

Post by Grumpy »

Nice bird,,,,,, sometimes you eat the bear and sometimes the bear eats you.
I was not his father but he was my son,,MAK IV, 10-15-1993 - 4-22-2007
"Rest in Peace my Little Buddy"
MAK

Post by MAK »

Great job u knew the ground he called home nice bird
MAK
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

goodn! glad you got him to look for you!
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
soiltester
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by soiltester »

Great goin' on a nice tom :thumbup:
ever wonder where the white goes when the snow melts??

Return to “Gobbler Talk”