Lowland Merriams suggestions please

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
howl
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by howl »

Looking for an outfitter for native range Merriams, western NM or CO, without climbing vertically above several thousand feet elevation. Don't care about ivory tips. Do care about private land only. If anyone would be so generous as to offer a lead, I would appreciate it. Thanks.
RapscallionVermilion

Post by RapscallionVermilion »

I haven’t hunted with them personally, but have seen several good reviews of Hitlist Outfitters in Southern Colorado. They claim a wide range of terrain and accessibility for the lands they lease.
aristico

Re: Lowland Merriams suggestions please

Post by aristico »

I hunted with Tri State outfitters in New Mexico...filled both my tags good food good accommodations good people...
joey46

Post by joey46 »

I'm also concerned about altitude. Good question. Thanks for bringing it up.
howl
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by howl »

Thanks for the leads. Anybody heard of Art Orthman?
howl
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by howl »

joey46 wrote: April 2nd, 2019, 8:14 pm I'm also concerned about altitude. Good question. Thanks for bringing it up.
np. It's hard for me to wrap my mind around the changes in different parts of the country. You have to search to find 3000' in GA.
brobi9

Post by brobi9 »

howl wrote: April 3rd, 2019, 5:42 am
joey46 wrote: April 2nd, 2019, 8:14 pm I'm also concerned about altitude. Good question. Thanks for bringing it up.
np. It's hard for me to wrap my mind around the changes in different parts of the country. You have to search to find 3000' in GA.
The way my spring has been you gotta search just to find a long beard.

I’ve heard good things about NM and southern CO. Good luck in your quest.
Hobbes

Post by Hobbes »

You probably won't get away from "high altitude" as compared to lowlands in Georgia, but you can probably find a private ranch set up where you can stay on relatively flat ground and not need to climb a mountain. I would suspect that Gobblenut has some good advice on where to look.
timbrhuntr
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by timbrhuntr »

I wouldn't trust Gobblenut he'll say it ain't too bad then the next thing ya know your at 11000 feet can't breath and trying to keep up with a mountain goat ! But you won't find many prettier places to hunt though !
howl
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by howl »

Hobbes wrote: April 3rd, 2019, 9:58 am but you can probably find a private ranch set up where you can stay on relatively flat ground and not need to climb a mountain.
That's the idea right there. Finding that well away from Rio country is the part I'm stuck on.
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

Are you stuck on those two states?
aristico

Post by aristico »

The place i hunted in New Mexico was pretty flat... plateaus and such.....climbed maybe one small hill that wasn't steep at all just a steady climb...and im a big guy
ncturkey

Post by ncturkey »

I have hunted in New Mexico last year. But it was in the Northeast side. It was at the V7 Ranch in Raton New Mexico. They have pure Merriam’s Turkeys. They have tons of birds. The hunting was fun. I did not have to climb mountains. But we did cover some ground ever day.
Mike
GobbleNut

Post by GobbleNut »

Hobbes wrote: April 3rd, 2019, 9:58 am You probably won't get away from "high altitude" as compared to lowlands in Georgia, but you can probably find a private ranch set up where you can stay on relatively flat ground and not need to climb a mountain. I would suspect that Gobblenut has some good advice on where to look.
Wish I could give some advice on where to go in NM, but I'm not sure there is such a place. Some of the private ranches in northeastern NM near Raton, as have already been mentioned, are probably the best bets. From what I have heard, plan on going to the bank for a loan to hunt some of those ranches. I suspect one would be treated like royalty and have access to a lot of unpressured Merriam's gobblers, however.
One thing for sure, if you are looking for "low altitude" and Merriam's turkeys, southern NM is not the place to go. :mrgreen:
Hobbes

Post by Hobbes »

GobbleNut wrote: April 4th, 2019, 9:07 am
Hobbes wrote: April 3rd, 2019, 9:58 am You probably won't get away from "high altitude" as compared to lowlands in Georgia, but you can probably find a private ranch set up where you can stay on relatively flat ground and not need to climb a mountain. I would suspect that Gobblenut has some good advice on where to look.
Wish I could give some advice on where to go in NM, but I'm not sure there is such a place. Some of the private ranches in northeastern NM near Raton, as have already been mentioned, are probably the best bets. From what I have heard, plan on going to the bank for a loan to hunt some of those ranches. I suspect one would be treated like royalty and have access to a lot of unpressured Merriam's gobblers, however.
One thing for sure, if you are looking for "low altitude" and Merriam's turkeys, southern NM is not the place to go. :mrgreen:
I think the same could be said for Southern CO, but I've not really looked into outfitters there. All of it will be high elevation as compared to GA, but may be able to provide a hunt with minimal elevation gain while hunting.
howl
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by howl »

Thanks for the posts y'all. I see stuff here I did not find via google.

Ever heard of Jack Diamond, Beaverhead outfitters?
GobbleNut

Post by GobbleNut »

Yes, I am familiar with them. They are mostly elk outfitters, which would make me wonder if they really know much about spring turkey hunting (a lot of western big game outfitters try to hunt turkeys like big game),...don't know for sure. I believe they have quite a bit of property to hunt,...both private and public that they have locked up (which makes me less than a fan of theirs). They probably have some "easy" country to hunt, and some correspondingly easy gobblers, but the elevation is still 7,000 plus,...and a lot of it is pretty challenging up-and-down stuff.
howl
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by howl »

10-4, thanks.
dsunday

Post by dsunday »

aristico wrote: April 2nd, 2019, 5:32 pm I hunted with Tri State outfitters in New Mexico...filled both my tags good food good accommodations good people...
Mind if I ask the cost? PM if you want
"Never trust what you quote from the internet" -Abe Lincoln

Return to “Gobbler Talk”