Dud callers

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
coconut

Dud callers

Post by coconut »

How much money have you spent on dud callers? I know I have wasted a lot.
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Dud callers

Post by Hoobilly »

Enough that I hardly buy one unless I can run it first
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
Fatmo

Post by Fatmo »

OH MY!!!! 1000s on mouth calls over the years. Other calls a few hundred, but I can usually retune to get something if it has nothing.. More from "Custom" callmakers than production. ( Some just make me sick and I burn them )
coconut

Post by coconut »

I have about 8 box calls that should of never left the callmakers shop. It is frustrating
howl
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by howl »

I've stopped buying anything I can't play first. Well, I buy mouth calls obviously. I have been buying the same two from the same maker for years. They're very consistent.
coconut

Post by coconut »

Mouth calls are one of those deals that don’t bother me but boxes and pot calls should have some turkey sounds.
appalachianassassin
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by appalachianassassin »

2bills on a halloran ebony/walnut box with the holster. Gorgeous call but it just didn't have the sound I like. I gave it away
El Sicario
coconut

Post by coconut »

Did the same thing. Little box would sound like a turkey but it was so loud that it would blow the feathers off one. On the YouTube video halloran box sounds excellent which it is but to use it on close in turkeys is almost impossible.
paboxcall

Post by paboxcall »

coconut wrote: March 10th, 2019, 6:05 pm Did the same thing. Little box would sound like a turkey but it was so loud that it would blow the feathers off one. On the YouTube video halloran box sounds excellent which it is but to use it on close in turkeys is almost impossible.
Never ran one of his, but likely at least one little sweet spot on the rails where a very, very short stroke of the paddle at the right cant, will roll over with a sweet, toned down, little yelp. Might need to search it out.
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer

Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
MKW
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by MKW »

Truthfully, there are far more custom calls that are duds than there are good ones. In the whole NWTF convention building, there may be 7 or 8 callmakers that I'd buy from. But, a call that I think is a dud, somebody else may like.
Ultimate Predator
coconut

Post by coconut »

MKW wrote: March 10th, 2019, 6:12 pm Truthfully, there are far more custom calls that are duds than there are good ones. In the whole NWTF convention building, there may be 7 or 8 callmakers that I'd buy from. But, a call that I think is a dud, somebody else may like.
I agree with you on that. Seems like most people only hunt turkeys occasionally but for the few of us who really hunt a lot and know what a turkey sounds like we only want the best. If there is good turkey sounds in a box I will find them. I have boxes that you have to hold or can’t the lid in all different places to get the right note but I find it if it’s in there.
Roy

Post by Roy »

coconut wrote: March 10th, 2019, 6:25 pm
MKW wrote: March 10th, 2019, 6:12 pm Truthfully, there are far more custom calls that are duds than there are good ones. In the whole NWTF convention building, there may be 7 or 8 callmakers that I'd buy from. But, a call that I think is a dud, somebody else may like.
I agree with you on that. Seems like most people only hunt turkeys occasionally but for the few of us who really hunt a lot and know what a turkey sounds like we only want the best. If there is good turkey sounds in a box I will find them. I have boxes that you have to hold or can’t the lid in all different places to get the right note but I find it if it’s in there.

Yes, I feel the same way.
" Y'all keep discussing it among yourselves...I'm sneakin' in to pop the noisy one. " - Stinky J Picklestein
howl
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by howl »

How you play matters. Calls may be tuned to be played different ways. There are some very well regarded makers I have no use for. I really doubt all their fans got duds even though you couldn't prove it by me.

The last one I bought, I went to the maker's shop. Turns out he tunes old school. I get there and start playing through calls and none of them sound right. He picked one up and it sounded right. Ruh-roh.

Fortunately, he was loaded up to go to the NWTF convention and had a big stockpile. He kept pulling them out and I finally found one that would play my way. He then tried it, too. Gave me a funny look cause it didn't sound as good as the others when he played it. Sang for me, though.

I got what I wanted and he got rid of a call he may have considered barely good enough to sell.
paboxcall

Post by paboxcall »

howl wrote: March 10th, 2019, 8:39 pm How you play matters. Calls may be tuned to be played different ways.
This is 100% true. :thumbup:
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer

Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
MKW
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by MKW »

howl wrote: March 10th, 2019, 8:39 pm How you play matters. Calls may be tuned to be played different ways. There are some very well regarded makers I have no use for. I really doubt all their fans got duds even though you couldn't prove it by me.

The last one I bought, I went to the maker's shop. Turns out he tunes old school. I get there and start playing through calls and none of them sound right. He picked one up and it sounded right. Ruh-roh.

Fortunately, he was loaded up to go to the NWTF convention and had a big stockpile. He kept pulling them out and I finally found one that would play my way. He then tried it, too. Gave me a funny look cause it didn't sound as good as the others when he played it. Sang for me, though.

I got what I wanted and he got rid of a call he may have considered barely good enough to sell.
I just think everybody knows what they want to hear...sometimes it's there, sometimes it's not.
Ultimate Predator
MKW
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by MKW »

MKW wrote: March 10th, 2019, 9:01 pm
howl wrote: March 10th, 2019, 8:39 pm How you play matters. Calls may be tuned to be played different ways. There are some very well regarded makers I have no use for. I really doubt all their fans got duds even though you couldn't prove it by me.

I just think everybody knows what they want to hear...sometimes it's there, sometimes it's not. I, personally, want it to come easy and am not willing to go searching, within a call, to find it. I feel like if I got to search a call for the sound that I want, it will leave me when it matters most.
Ultimate Predator
appalachianassassin
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by appalachianassassin »

paboxcall wrote: March 10th, 2019, 6:09 pm
coconut wrote: March 10th, 2019, 6:05 pm Did the same thing. Little box would sound like a turkey but it was so loud that it would blow the feathers off one. On the YouTube video halloran box sounds excellent which it is but to use it on close in turkeys is almost impossible.
Never ran one of his, but likely at least one little sweet spot on the rails where a very, very short stroke of the paddle at the right cant, will roll over with a sweet, toned down, little yelp. Might need to search it out.
I shouldn't have labeled the call a dud. It played easy, I just didn't like the sound.
El Sicario
MKW
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by MKW »

Sorry, I meant to edit and I quoted and added instead. I'm still figuring out these computer thingamajigs.
Ultimate Predator
coconut

Post by coconut »

MKW wrote: March 10th, 2019, 9:01 pm

I just think everybody knows what they want to hear...sometimes it's there, sometimes it's not.
Me and long whiskers have the same likes in a caller.
MKW
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by MKW »

LOL. I'd like to think the same, but sometimes ol'whiskers don't seem to be on the same page.
Ultimate Predator

Return to “Gobbler Talk”