Binos for turkeys

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
Skimerhorn

Binos for turkeys

Post by Skimerhorn »

What kind of binos do you guys carry during the spring? Looking to invest in a decent pair
MKW
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Binos for turkeys

Post by MKW »

Vortex Viper 8x28. They are excellent...especially for the $.
Ultimate Predator
Hobbes

Post by Hobbes »

I've recently changed to a Vortex Viper HD 8x42. I had been using a pair of ZenRay 10x42. The Zen Rays we're good glass, but didn't hold up. I will admit that I was hard on the ZenRays and I bought a model before they changed to lifetime warranty (probably 10+ years ago).

I believe that I prefer a 10x42 and probably would have bought the Razors if the Vipers hadn't been bought as a gift. However, I use them a lot here in MT while big game hunting.
brobi9

Post by brobi9 »

I wear my vortex diamondback 10x42’s every day I’m out.
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

]I've carried these for years. They are awesome for the money very clear and allows me to see Spurs and target large spurs

[url] https://www.amazon.com/Celestron-20x80- ... ref=plSrch [/url]
pedro
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by pedro »

Been using the same pair of Nikon monarch 10x42 for the past 15 years. The get used hard during the waterfowl season. I carry them everyday turkey hunting on my chest with a harness. I consider binos essential equipment. They may be larger than some compacts, but I like larger objective lenses.
CamoMan4025
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by CamoMan4025 »

brobi9 wrote: February 16th, 2019, 10:10 pm I wear my vortex diamondback 10x42’s every day I’m out.
I totally concur and like them so much I bought both my boys a pair. Cabela's had a heck of a sale before Christmas for $129/pair.

Kevin
"God, Guts & High Explosives"
Skimerhorn

Post by Skimerhorn »

Anybody use a harness with them? I'm look9ng at the bino harness by alps but thinking about taking off the extra stuff
gaswamp

Post by gaswamp »

MKW wrote: February 16th, 2019, 8:26 pm Vortex Viper 8x28. They are excellent...especially for the $.
look nice but appear to b discontinued
Haystaddle

Post by Haystaddle »

I have a pair of Vortex Viper HD 10x42. Superior set of binos. Just bought the Alaska Guide Creations Alaska Classic bino harness. Going with this instead of a vest this year. Plenty of room for what I carry and happy to lighten my load this season.
brobi9

Post by brobi9 »

Skimerhorn wrote: February 17th, 2019, 8:25 am Anybody use a harness with them? I'm look9ng at the bino harness by alps but thinking about taking off the extra stuff
A buddy of mine bought one of the alps harness’. It’s not as bulky as it appears online. The benefit I see to it is you can drop a couple calls in the pouch and strike out without a vest etc. A lot of folks I know prefer the harness over a traditional strap because the harness keeps them close to your chest and prevents them from bouncing as you walk.

To each his own
CamoMan4025
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by CamoMan4025 »

You absolutely need need a harness compared to the factory strap. It keeps it from bouncing and it hangs in the perfect place. I've got a somewhat inexpensive harness like in the link below, but it works great for me since I wear a vest.

Good luck,

Kevin

https://www.sportsmansguide.com/product ... gLsi_D_BwE
"God, Guts & High Explosives"
coconut

Post by coconut »

I bought the vortex on y’alls suggestion a few months back. Only thing I bought in awhile that I felt like I got more than what I paid for.
howl
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by howl »

Depends on where you hunt and how steady your hands.

I'm surprised so many choose 10x. I can't hold them still enough without a mount or rest. Guess I'm just too shifty.

Also, you may find different binos fit your face and eyes better than others. Trying before buying makes sure they are comfortable for you to use.
decoykrvr

Post by decoykrvr »

IMO, for turkey hunting you don't need the large, light gathering objective of a 10x42 binocular since you're hunting primarily after first light and before twilight and don't need the weight of a full-size binocular. However, I do like a binocular w/ a 10x magnification . Check out the reviews and lens specifications of the Carson VP-025, 10x25 binocular, 14oz. @ $110. I've sold medical optical devices into the hospital OR, ER, and speciality practices for over 25 years, and you need to spend over $600 to find binoculars w/ optics equivalent to those found in the Carson VP line.
Cut N Run

Post by Cut N Run »

I've got a pair of Leupold Gold Ring 10x28 compact binoculars that I've used for around 25 years. They're lightweight, clear, and small enough to fit in a vest pocket. They have a lifetime warranty too, though I've not needed it so far. They have definitely helped me hunt more successfully.

Jim
decoykrvr

Post by decoykrvr »

I've got the same Leupold Gold Ring, 10x28 binoculars, which at the time I purchased them, were the lightest, highest magnification quality optics for the price, substantially cheaper than either Leica or Zeiss. With everything which I typically carry in my vest, I need the lightest optics available, although as my eyes have aged, I find my binoculars are around my neck during a typical hunt rather than in my vest.
GobbleNut

Post by GobbleNut »

ICDEDTURKES wrote: February 16th, 2019, 10:16 pm ]I've carried these for years. They are awesome for the money very clear and allows me to see Spurs and target large spurs

https://www.amazon.com/Celestron-20x ... plSrch
Are you sure they don't make something bigger than those? I've heard of gun bearers before,...but binocular bearers?... :mrgreen:
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

GobbleNut wrote: February 17th, 2019, 2:49 pm
ICDEDTURKES wrote: February 16th, 2019, 10:16 pm ]I've carried these for years. They are awesome for the money very clear and allows me to see Spurs and target large spurs

https://www.amazon.com/Celestron-20x ... plSrch
Are you sure they don't make something bigger than those? I've heard of gun bearers before,...but binocular bearers?... :mrgreen:
Lol I have 3 pairs vortex 2 10x40 one 12 x40

The best field binocular I ever owned Steiner predator 8x30 porro prism auto focus. Extremely durable till threw them at a tree
Skimerhorn

Post by Skimerhorn »

brobi9 wrote: February 17th, 2019, 9:45 am
Skimerhorn wrote: February 17th, 2019, 8:25 am Anybody use a harness with them? I'm look9ng at the bino harness by alps but thinking about taking off the extra stuff
A buddy of mine bought one of the alps harness’. It’s not as bulky as it appears online. The benefit I see to it is you can drop a couple calls in the pouch and strike out without a vest etc. A lot of folks I know prefer the harness over a traditional strap because the harness keeps them close to your chest and prevents them from bouncing as you walk.

To each his own
I just ordered one. Now looking for a pair of 10x42 vortex to fill it!
Fl strutter

Post by Fl strutter »

I just ordered the vortex dimondback 10x32s. Midway has 10% of code for them. I wanted compact the 10x42 was a little big so was looking at the 10x28s but the 32s were same size with a better field of veiw so i went with them. Didnt get the harness but kinda wishing now i would've. Probably just throw em in my vest. This will be my first pair of binos so hope i like em.
Skimerhorn

Post by Skimerhorn »

So with the diamondback I see 2 versions. Classic and not sure the other? Didnt see a compact version
poorcountrypreacher

Post by poorcountrypreacher »

I've had a cheap Tasco 8x21 in my vest for many years. The only time I use it in the south is to determine if a distant turkey is a gobbler. I had a problem with it and just bought a new one - $14. :)
HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by HunterGKS »

Based on the title, I've been waiting for Ronnie or somebody to make a comment but have been
disappointed. So I'll say it:

With a turkey's already fantastic eyesight, why would you want to get "Binos for turkeys?"
George

YOU KNOW YOU HAVE TO KEEP YOUR BODY STILL. YOUR HEART JUST HASN'T CAUGHT ON.

.17 = NITRO OF THE RIMFIRE WORLD USAF 1969-1973

ncturkey

Post by ncturkey »

This is what I use for hunting?
Attachments
9F148073-2CB2-4878-9FA3-6DB3269ACAD7.jpeg
Mike

Return to “Gobbler Talk”