Blind Suggestions???

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
turkeyinstrut
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Blind Suggestions???

Post by turkeyinstrut »

I am in the market for a new blind, I have a 9 year old daughter that wants to kill her first turkey this spring and I figured a blind would be our best option. I have never hunted out of a blind and frankly never seen the need for one................until now, I am looking for a decent quality blind at a reasonable price, any suggestions or opinions is greatly appreciated.
HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Blind Suggestions???

Post by HunterGKS »

I have 2, both Ameristeps. The larger 1 is the Brick House & the smaller, Backwoods.

Both go up & take down pretty easily & are roomy enough for an adult & a young un.

Wally World has them on sale from time to time. I think I gave $60-70 for the Brick &
$50-60 for the other.

I have had both for several years with no issues at all. I did buy 4 plastic tent pegs
for the tie down ropes as they were easier to use than the little metal 1s provided.
George

YOU KNOW YOU HAVE TO KEEP YOUR BODY STILL. YOUR HEART JUST HASN'T CAUGHT ON.

.17 = NITRO OF THE RIMFIRE WORLD USAF 1969-1973

HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by HunterGKS »

This is the Brick House.
Blind.jpg
This is the Backwoods.
Blind.jpg
George

YOU KNOW YOU HAVE TO KEEP YOUR BODY STILL. YOUR HEART JUST HASN'T CAUGHT ON.

.17 = NITRO OF THE RIMFIRE WORLD USAF 1969-1973

Grumpy
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Grumpy »

I used a dog no bark collar on my kids, the kid moved and I pushed the button, took about 10 minutes in a mosquito infested swamp to train the boys then I returned it to walmart and told them my dog died and got a full refund.
I was not his father but he was my son,,MAK IV, 10-15-1993 - 4-22-2007
"Rest in Peace my Little Buddy"
MKW
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by MKW »

I let my kids booger up a couple of turkeys so they would learn to be still when I told them to. Worked really well.
True story.
Actually, my daughter only needed me to tell her to be still and she killed the first one that I got into range for her. (Age 8yrs)
My son had to mess one up before he got the message. While he was crying (age 7), I told him, "Son, I know you feel bad now, but you are gonna feel worse when I kill that turkey tomorrow." I did exactly that. He was a statue in the woods after that.
I refused to make it easy for them by putting them in a tent.
Ultimate Predator
timbrhuntr
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by timbrhuntr »

Sounds like fun times huntin with dad lol
MKW
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by MKW »

timbrhuntr wrote: February 16th, 2019, 9:15 pm Sounds like fun times huntin with dad lol
Yep. I don't believe that making everything easy for kids is the best path, but that's just me. I respect turkeys and the process of actually hunting them.
Kids are grown now. They and I miss those days in the woods...learning how to hunt.
Ultimate Predator
CamoMan4025
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by CamoMan4025 »

Hey MKW, can you learn me how to hunt them turkeys?????
"God, Guts & High Explosives"
poorcountrypreacher

Post by poorcountrypreacher »

Grumpy wrote: February 16th, 2019, 7:26 pm I used a dog no bark collar on my kids, the kid moved and I pushed the button, took about 10 minutes in a mosquito infested swamp to train the boys then I returned it to walmart and told them my dog died and got a full refund.
You and mkw could win Dad of the Year contests if you would enter. :)

My dad didn't like the way I kept fidgeting so he started just dumping me out and telling me to stay in the area until he picked me up. I called up my first gobbler and killed him all by myself when I was 11. Looking back, I'm glad it happened that way.

One of my daughters killed a couple of deer when she was 11, so I took her turkey hunting that spring. We chased a gobbler about 2 miles over some steep public land, and she told me that she had decided that she would be a deer hunter and not a turkey hunter. She never went again.

As far as blinds, I've sat in an Ameristep Doghouse when it was raining. You can usually find these on sale for under $50, and they are big enough for you and a kid. Good luck
MKW
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by MKW »

Yeah, the way that I was with my kids and hunting is the way that I was brought up also. I was deer hunting, by myself, with a rifle when I was 6yrs old. I learned to be still or not be successful. No reason my kids needed to learn any other way.
Ultimate Predator
RaspyD

Post by RaspyD »

CamoMan4025 wrote: February 17th, 2019, 7:56 am Hey MKW, can you learn me how to hunt them turkeys?????
Good luck getting CamoMan to sit still!!
firedup

Post by firedup »

Not a big blind fan but I keep one around for kids and stuff. Both turkey and deer hunting. I will say it is handy for raining days tho. I picked up one on sale at Cabelas for $70. Herters brand I think. It has worked ok so far. Its not fancy but serves the purpose. Big enuff for 2 and even 3 if you squeeze. I would recommend a shooting stick or tripod tho if ya go the blind route. Kids sit down to low and have to shoot freehand if you don't have a rest.
Brwndg

Post by Brwndg »

Rhino 200. Walmart has it for sale for $88. I have an older version in Predator & very roomy
“If turkeys could smell, you'd never kill one" - Bud Trenis my turkey hunting mentor & dear friend

Return to “Gobbler Talk”