So much for mild winter

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
Hobbes

So much for mild winter

Post by Hobbes »

We've had a mild winter overall, but winter finally reared its ugly head here in MT the last couple weeks. I'll be happy to see some sign of Spring, but I suppose it's a little early for that.

I'm in NE Montana for a few days

timbrhuntr
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: So much for mild winter

Post by timbrhuntr »

I talked to my buddy on the week end and he said it has been bad for while now. He is having tough time keeping some of his cattle warm which is unusual ! I didn't even ask how he thought the mule deer, antelope and turkeys are doing !
Hobbes

Post by Hobbes »

timbrhuntr wrote: February 12th, 2019, 9:55 am I talked to my buddy on the week end and he said it has been bad for while now. He is having tough time keeping some of his cattle warm which is unusual ! I didn't even ask how he thought the mule deer, antelope and turkeys are doing !
The snow isn't terribly deep, so deer and antelope should be fine. I believe the same holds true for the turkeys. At least in a normal sort of winter kill way.
timbrhuntr
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by timbrhuntr »

I guess I'll find out in April like every spring. This is the first time I've actually heard him complain about the cold though ! Snow can make a difference for sure. We just got hit with freezing ran but most of the snow had receded so I think the game can still dig through not like when we get a few feet and then a coat of ice on top . I've been laid up and can't get out to check my cams so be interesting to see what is on them .
Hobbes

Post by Hobbes »

A lot of our birds rely on cattle ranch feeding grounds to survive winter. If they are feeding, the turkeys should be ok. Turkeys are heck on full size round bales while digging for grain in them.

I'm actually working next to a couple herds of cattle now. No turkeys but the mallards are working and feeding right with the cattle in the rolled out bales of hay. I've seen that a lot in MT.
Hobbes

Post by Hobbes »

Staying in the car as much as possible today.
timbrhuntr
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by timbrhuntr »

I haven't been out much since Jan 3 rd so the cold isn't really bothering me lol Last week the wife had to shovel in -42 with the wind chill I almost felt sorry for her :D
My friend in Nebraska had over 300 turkeys in his ranch last winter feeding in the cattle yards but he doesn't seem to mind feeding them. I bet its worse this year. Keep warm !
My dad was a mechanic after the war and worked on remote air strips in the high arctic he would laugh at me if I said its too cold lol
howl
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by howl »

High in the 70s today here in GA. I'd like thirty degrees cooler, but not ninety.
Hobbes

Post by Hobbes »

It's a blizzard on The high line today on my way home. I suspect that Grumpy is somewhere close by (since I'm finishing lunch in Havre) but wouldn't know him if he was sitting next to me since he never shows his face. I'm gonna find his farm lot turkeys one of these days and get there before him. :)
Grumpy
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Grumpy »

I show my face everytime I post on here and Havre is 30 miles east of my house and the heavy snow has quit now that it gave us 3 inches. Hobbes if you call this snowfall a blizzard you ain't never seen a blizzard.
I was not his father but he was my son,,MAK IV, 10-15-1993 - 4-22-2007
"Rest in Peace my Little Buddy"
Hobbes

Post by Hobbes »

It only looks like a blizzard while I'm behind a semi or when I meet one. The powder just blows all over the place.
Grumpy
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Grumpy »

Exactly, just went to Hingham to buy a lottery ticket and met two semi truck going west when I was on my way back going east, 100% loss of visibility for a few seconds for sure. With my ears I can hear a turkey fart 300 yards down wind sure work great for locating those gobbles too.
Hobbes

Post by Hobbes »

Relatively slow travel. Coffee refill in GF. The view out my windshield between Havre and GF.

Grumpy
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Grumpy »

Exactly what Highway #2 going west was like today, but it quit and the sun came out and tomorrow is suppose to be sunny but another 2 rounds of it coming Friday and Saturday.
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

Man that’s rough weather. We hit -23 for the coldest and they said with windchill it fluctuated between -35-50 depending on how hard the wind was hitting
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/

Return to “Gobbler Talk”