Getting bird back home from out of state

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
Skimerhorn

Getting bird back home from out of state

Post by Skimerhorn »

What is the best way to get a bird back home to mount from out of state? I'm planning a Oklahoma trip and if I'm successful I want to mount the bird. Since I'm driving shipping it home would be the fastest I assume. Does anyone on here have experience with this or any info? Thanks
misfire

Re: Getting bird back home from out of state

Post by misfire »

I just loaded mine in a cooler, kept ice on it till I could get it in the freezer.
timbrhuntr
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by timbrhuntr »

I watched a couple videos on how to case a bird. Then I did it on a few birds at home. When I travelled to get my slam mounts I just cased out the bird and froze it. Make sure you cover the head in the event it leaks blood. I cut the tail off as most taxi do this anyway. I was staying in a motel so I was able in most to get them to freeze the bird. Then I did as misfire packed it in my cooler to drove home. Long drive from New Mexico to Detroit and they survived lol
soiltester
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by soiltester »

misfire wrote: January 29th, 2019, 9:15 am I just loaded mine in a cooler, kept ice on it till I could get it in the freezer.
That's what I have done also. :thumbup:
If time permits and you can get it froze(and can't cape it out) then ship it direct to your taxi .. unless you do your own.
ever wonder where the white goes when the snow melts??
Hobbes

Post by Hobbes »

Next day it if you are shipping. Two day is always questionable in my opinion. I'd case skin it if it was me, double bag in trash bags, cover the head if you like or remove it along the feather line and bag it separately, pack it in ice if only a couple days or freeze if much more. If freezing the head, I'd prefer to remove it and freeze it separately in a ziplock with water similar to fish fillets.

I used to next day turkey heads frozen in water double bagged in Ziploc bags to a freeze-dryer. I tried to pack them into a styrofoam cooler and wrapped in a couple trash bags before boxing. Sometimes it was just multiple trash bags inside a box. I did have one box start leaking bloody water after they set it outside in the summer. It wasn't pretty.
Skimerhorn

Post by Skimerhorn »

How would I get a whole turkey in a cooler tho unless it's a huge cooler? I'd be nervous to try to cape it out myself
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

Skimerhorn wrote: January 29th, 2019, 1:33 pm How would I get a whole turkey in a cooler tho unless it's a huge cooler? I'd be nervous to try to cape it out myself
Here's an idea, pay a local taxi to cape and bring home to your taxi
Hobbes

Post by Hobbes »

Skimerhorn wrote: January 29th, 2019, 1:33 pm How would I get a whole turkey in a cooler tho unless it's a huge cooler? I'd be nervous to try to cape it out myself
It takes a good size cooler. Removing the tail/fan can help with length, but sounds like you may need help with that also. Try YouTube (may be some info on skinning there) if you don't have access to a local reputable taxidermist that could do it for a fee as mentioned above.
HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by HunterGKS »

If you're going to take it home yourself, stuff a lot of paper towels done its throat to soak up any blood.
Also, wrap the head & neck in paper towels as well. Get a pair of panty hose or nylon stockings
& put the bird in head first. This will keep the feathers from being damaged. Freeze if possible
or keep ice on it. Don't dump the ice on the bird, just pack bags around it. If you really want to get
fancy, place the ice in zip lock bags. This will keep the bird from getting wet.

Good luck.
George

YOU KNOW YOU HAVE TO KEEP YOUR BODY STILL. YOUR HEART JUST HASN'T CAUGHT ON.

.17 = NITRO OF THE RIMFIRE WORLD USAF 1969-1973

Bustinbeards

Post by Bustinbeards »

Drop em head first onto panty hose and put em in cooler on dry ice
OLE RASPY
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by OLE RASPY »

On my Nebraska, Florida and Texas hunt my buddy had a cooler big enough for 2 birds and put ice around them. Get you a big cooler. On my Mexico goulds our outfitter caped then out and froze them. We picked up on our way out and froze them at hotel in Arizona and flew back home next morning in our carry-on. Then got home put back in freezer then drove next day to taxidermist.
TURKEYS
COYOTES
DEER
SQUIRRELS
(all in this order)
Skimerhorn

Post by Skimerhorn »

How long will they last on ice

Return to “Gobbler Talk”