Vest Recommendations

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
Swamp Hunter

Vest Recommendations

Post by Swamp Hunter »

For the last 8 years I've been using an Ol' Tom Time and Motion Essentials vest but it has reached the end of its functional life. At the end of last season I went in a Cabela's and found that I really liked the Tactical Tat'r 2. Well, I just now got around to ordering it and it's nowhere to be found on the website. I'm guessing since the Bass Pro merger that it has been discontinued. Just looking online, the Alps NWTF Grand Slam appears similar. Anybody got any experience with it or do you have a vest recommendation? I've got a Super Elite II vest in the closet but its just a little to bulky/heavy. I'd like a combination of enough functional pockets but also somewhat lightweight and, most importantly, a COMFORTABLE seat for those 2+ hour sits when he hangs up at 60 yards.
Deputy 14

Re: Vest Recommendations

Post by Deputy 14 »

This one was posted on OG. Looks like a pretty decent vest for the money.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/MNS-TURKEY-VEST/366824061
SwampDrummin

Post by SwampDrummin »

Swamp Hunter wrote: January 28th, 2019, 9:42 pm For the last 8 years I've been using an Ol' Tom Time and Motion Essentials vest but it has reached the end of its functional life. At the end of last season I went in a Cabela's and found that I really liked the Tactical Tat'r 2. Well, I just now got around to ordering it and it's nowhere to be found on the website. I'm guessing since the Bass Pro merger that it has been discontinued. Just looking online, the Alps NWTF Grand Slam appears similar. Anybody got any experience with it or do you have a vest recommendation? I've got a Super Elite II vest in the closet but its just a little to bulky/heavy. I'd like a combination of enough functional pockets but also somewhat lightweight and, most importantly, a COMFORTABLE seat for those 2+ hour sits when he hangs up at 60 yards.

I have the underarmour tactical turkey vest. I didn’t like it at first and almost traded it. Glad I didn’t. After time I have come to love the ability to move around and add pockets and pouches as I like. It can change with my hunting style. It’s also well made, Hasnt faded and sturdy. 4/5 seasons in and it looks nearly the same as I bought it. I can’t say that about any other item I have; I am very hard on gear.-
Turkinator
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Turkinator »

I hunted last season in a Nomad vest. It’s the best I’ve ever worn.
BAF3EB73-3E18-4F11-8DDF-68FDB217E982.jpeg
Attachments
219334FD-7E74-40AE-9CF9-C280286190EB.jpeg
2C870046-235F-411D-A327-DC98837A01A2.jpeg
CamoMan4025
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by CamoMan4025 »

I have the Cabela's Tatical Tat'r 2 that you looked at. I love mine, of course I've only used it one season since I got it last year, but it's nice. I will look around and see if I can find one for you.

Kevin
"God, Guts & High Explosives"
CamoMan4025
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by CamoMan4025 »

Holy Crap.........you were right..........they are GONE! What size would you want? I can email Cabela's that's about 45 minutes from me and then I'm going to Richmond, VA Thursday and there is a Cabela's store there too I can check?

Kickstand or no kickstand.........I don't have a kickstand on mine.
"God, Guts & High Explosives"
misfire

Post by misfire »

I have enjoyed my Knight HUnting Products hands free for the past several years. Only thing I do not like about it is the lack of secure storage for strikers. I prefer to be as stealthy as I can and the strikers knock against each other in the pouch. Remedied that yesterday I hope with a striker rollup from USHunting
Swamp Hunter

Post by Swamp Hunter »

CamoMan4025 wrote: January 29th, 2019, 8:43 am Holy Crap.........you were right..........they are GONE! What size would you want? I can email Cabela's that's about 45 minutes from me and then I'm going to Richmond, VA Thursday and there is a Cabela's store there too I can check?

Kickstand or no kickstand.........I don't have a kickstand on mine.
I’d probably need the S/M but please don’t go to all that trouble trying to find me a vest. I’m sure I’ll find something that will work.
soiltester
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by soiltester »

I started looking at an ALPS and ended getting this one … being I'm the pac rat I am!!
Paddle call holder on 1 side, water bottle on the other, all zipper punches and quick dis-connect seat for fold down or removal!!
Great price also :thumbup:

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/93917 ... urkey-vest
ever wonder where the white goes when the snow melts??
tr3y0248

Post by tr3y0248 »

Does anyone own the Alps vest with the kickstand? if so, is the kickstand removable? I love the pocket layout of that vest but would prefer to use it without the metal frame of the kickstand.

The cabelas tatr vest is my current favorite, The pressure point back pads are perfectly located and firm and the flip down design of the seat cushion is super functional. just wish it was in bottomland.

I have had bad luck with any vest with magnetic seat cushions. It seems anytime I bump into a tree or need to crawl the magnets disconnect and the seat falls into the down position and bounces against my calves while walking (super annoying). The Tatr vest design eliminates this problem.
PALongspur

Post by PALongspur »

It’s a little early to judge the items in stock at Bass Pro or Cabela’s. Not much turkey related stuff of either website yet, I’m betting the Tatr vests will be back for spring.
TNHunter61

Post by TNHunter61 »

Cabela's Tatical Tat'r 2 Try it out we like ours!
SKFOOTER

Post by SKFOOTER »

tr3y0248 wrote: January 29th, 2019, 1:06 pm Does anyone own the Alps vest with the kickstand? if so, is the kickstand removable? I love the pocket layout of that vest but would prefer to use it without the metal frame of the kickstand.

The cabelas tatr vest is my current favorite, The pressure point back pads are perfectly located and firm and the flip down design of the seat cushion is super functional. just wish it was in bottomland.

I have had bad luck with any vest with magnetic seat cushions. It seems anytime I bump into a tree or need to crawl the magnets disconnect and the seat falls into the down position and bounces against my calves while walking (super annoying). The Tatr vest design eliminates this problem.
Yes the metal frame is removable and highly recommended to lighten the load.
Roy

Post by Roy »

" Y'all keep discussing it among yourselves...I'm sneakin' in to pop the noisy one. " - Stinky J Picklestein
wingbonehntr

Post by wingbonehntr »

I have used the ol Tom for years and love it. Bought the nomad vest last year and loved it as well

Return to “Gobbler Talk”