Pardon the title - ******* Gobblers

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
SwampDrummin

Pardon the title - ******* Gobblers

Post by SwampDrummin »

I just love those real SOBs. You know, the ones you find all by themselves and won’t give you the time of day, the ones who stay in the tree until 9:00, the ones who fly closer to inspect you from a different tree, the ones who almost seem to record each call you make and replay it 10 times before coming to a decision as to their response.

You know, the ones you find yourself thinking about at 1:13 am in the morning two months before the season starts. I just want to shoot them all in the face.
BumbleFoot

Re: Pardon the title - ******* Gobblers

Post by BumbleFoot »

Gratifying when you finally kill ‘em. Exasperating until then...

After a few days, will make you long for a suicidal two year-old tom.
redarrow
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by redarrow »

They do exist !
Put you plans in the nail scarred hands.
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

If one flew closer and landed in the tree to iinspect the situation I reckon he made a mistake..
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
strutnva

Post by strutnva »

I was almost over a few of those memories until i read this thread. Thanks Swamp!!!!!
MKW
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by MKW »

I had one several years ago that gave me fits for 4 hunts. He would gobble his brains out but never come closer...in fact, he would move away. And I know that he wasn't with hens. All 4 mornings, I set up within 75 yards of him in the same tree he roosted in every night. Every morning, he flew down in a different direction and it was never towards me. I got mad and then I got even. On the 5th hunt, I went in about 2 hours before first light, low crawled within 30 yrds of his tree and killed him as soon as his feet hit the ground.
When I walked up and turned him over, I found spurs about 3/4" long. I was so mad that I literally punted that turkey like a football across the woods.
Ultimate Predator
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

MKW wrote: January 18th, 2019, 8:43 pm I had one several years ago that gave me fits for 4 hunts. He would gobble his brains out but never come closer...in fact, he would move away. And I know that he wasn't with hens. All 4 mornings, I set up within 75 yards of him in the same tree he roosted in every night. Every morning, he flew down in a different direction and it was never towards me. I got mad and then I got even. On the 5th hunt, I went in about 2 hours before first light, low crawled within 30 yrds of his tree and killed him as soon as his feet hit the ground.
When I walked up and turned him over, I found spurs about 3/4" long. I was so mad that I literally punted that turkey like a football across the woods.
I have had them seem like long spurred warriors and then find short spurs. I guess it’s not always age that makes them finicky.
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
Cut N Run

Post by Cut N Run »

I tangled with one last Spring that would gobble his @$$ off from a strut zone on an old logging road in a bowl shaped hardwood bottom. The woods are sparse enough that he could see a long ways & there was no way to get the drop on him. He strutted in the same general area for an hour (minimum) each time, then he'd just leave out in different directions each time. He would circle the high edge and check things out before he dropped down to the roadbed, almost like he had a sixth sense. I tried him with just a wing & some scratching, which he answered to and acted interested, just not enough to come looking. I'm pretty sure he flipped me off every time he left too. He made me invent new swear words.

Over this winter, I've been building a low brush blind around a big stump hole I dug deeper beside a leaning tree in range of that roadbed. I'm hoping it ends up being the chink in his armor. I' plan to have something for him that sounds a lot like BOOM if he tries that mess again this year.

Jim
SwampDrummin

Post by SwampDrummin »

:wave: h
MKW wrote: January 18th, 2019, 8:43 pm I had one several years ago that gave me fits for 4 hunts. He would gobble his brains out but never come closer...in fact, he would move away. And I know that he wasn't with hens. All 4 mornings, I set up within 75 yards of him in the same tree he roosted in every night. Every morning, he flew down in a different direction and it was never towards me. I got mad and then I got even. On the 5th hunt, I went in about 2 hours before first light, low crawled within 30 yrds of his tree and killed him as soon as his feet hit the ground.
Thanks for sharing. That got my blood rolling.
SwampDrummin

Post by SwampDrummin »

strutnva wrote: January 18th, 2019, 4:17 pm I was almost over a few of those memories until i read this thread. Thanks Swamp!!!!!
No problem. Got me up again at 2:26 am.
SwampDrummin

Post by SwampDrummin »

Cut N Run wrote: January 18th, 2019, 10:57 pm I tangled with one last Spring that would gobble his @$$ off from a strut zone on an old logging road in a bowl shaped hardwood bottom. The woods are sparse enough that he could see a long ways & there was no way to get the drop on him. He strutted in the same general area for an hour (minimum) each time, then he'd just leave out in different directions each time. He would circle the high edge and check things out before he dropped down to the roadbed, almost like he had a sixth sense. I tried him with just a wing & some scratching, which he answered to and acted interested, just not enough to come looking. I'm pretty sure he flipped me off every time he left too. He made me invent new swear words.

Over this winter, I've been building a low brush blind around a big stump hole I dug deeper beside a leaning tree in range of that roadbed. I'm hoping it ends up being the chink in his armor. I' plan to have something for him that sounds a lot like BOOM if he tries that mess again this year.

Jim

Absolutely maddening when they won’t come to you when they are all alone and interested.
huntin

Post by huntin »

SwampDrummin wrote: January 18th, 2019, 2:15 am I just love those real SOBs. You know, the ones you find all by themselves and won’t give you the time of day, the ones who stay in the tree until 9:00, the ones who fly closer to inspect you from a different tree, the ones who almost seem to record each call you make and replay it 10 times before coming to a decision as to their response.

You know, the ones you find yourself thinking about at 1:13 am in the morning two months before the season starts. I just want to shoot them all in the face.
Love the title, but I thought that was normal behavior. "Kamikaze" gobblers have become rare where I hunt but I killed one a couple of years ago. He had a buddy with him that hung back and I never saw him, but I continued to hunt him the rest of the season. He would gobble on his own, answer any call but never come in. I started calling him "Scardy Cat" which seemed real fitting! The season came to an end and Scardy Cat continued to gobble into the summer.

I anxiously awaited opening day the following year, I knew Scardy Cat was still around and figured his MOA had changed over the fall and winter. It had, he would gobble on his own but wouldn't answer any call I tried, he wouldn't even answer a hen but would wait until she walked to him and you wouldn't hear him the rest of the day. It was getting late in the season and being stubborn, or maybe just stupid, I stilled tried to kill Scardy Cat nearly every morning. Well one day I caught him without hens at noon, I didn't really think I had a chance but I called one time with a call I had never used before and it sounded terrible. Scardy Cat didn't answer, I didn't expect him to but a few minutes later he showed up and I killed him!! I was tickled that I had killed Scardy Cat after 2 years. Then I realized I had lost my best friend!! :violent1:

Maybe there will be more Kamikaze turkeys in my future, but I bet there won't be any more Scardy Cats, at least I hope not!
ncturkey

Post by ncturkey »

Great stories of them bad birds.
Mike
appalachianassassin
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by appalachianassassin »

The spring woods are full of azzholes nowadays.
El Sicario
Roy

Post by Roy »

Years ago i was reading an article and the guy was saying how he would set up on this gobbler and the gobbler would always move the other direction. It didnt matter if he called before flydown or after, the gobbler i guess either associated the calling or heard the guy and associated this with danger. So, he got one of his buds and had his bud to go to a spot and call and the hunter (i think it was ray eye) went the opposite direction and set-up, didnt make a call. Sure enough, his bud let out some calls and the gobbler went the other direction and right to him. I know its disputed, but this makes me think that birds can associate calling with danger. But, im sure there are lots of variables that i havent mentioned and that probably wasnt talked about in the article.
" Y'all keep discussing it among yourselves...I'm sneakin' in to pop the noisy one. " - Stinky J Picklestein
davisd9
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by davisd9 »

Never saw him as a butthole, but hunted one for 3 yrs. He was a double beard and every year he would do the same thing. He was a field turkey and would fly out to the middle of the field and stay there about all day, crossing a road between two fields. He was never closer than 60 yards to the wood line. I tried everything I could think of. He used 1 roost mostly but seemed like when I would hunt it he would be gone. I hunted 3 days straight, one day he was there but never gobbled until he hit the ground going the other way. In 2016 my luck changed. I saw him in the back of a field one evening going toward his roost. I knew he would be there so I set up on it. As it got light he was there but never made a sound and all he did was stare at what I felt was my soul. He gobbled twice like he was trying to hold it in when a crow flew by. This time he made the mistake of landing close to me and I killed him as he hit the ground trying to run off. Was bittersweet as I sometimes stop to try and hear him gobbling from his throne. There would be turkeys gobbling all over the farm until his gobble then it all went quiet except him. He never had to leave those fields as the hens would leave and come to him all day long. Was quite the rival that still brings a smile to me.
crow

Post by crow »

The ****** Gobblers I can deal with,
it's the ********farmers that get an attitude when you shoot their free range turkeys that can be annoying to put up with.

Return to “Gobbler Talk”