Florida Public Land Tactics and Advice on General Approach?

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
White0ak

Florida Public Land Tactics and Advice on General Approach?

Post by White0ak »

Hey guys, this is my first post but I have been a "lurker" for quite a while.

Need some expectedly brutal but honest guidance ------ I took a new role with a company and the main office I travel to is located in Boca Raton, FL. Cue the thoughts on taking my first Osceola.......Can anyone please give me some unfiltered, honest advice on what is needed for a general approach to hunting the FL public lands?
firedup

Re: Florida Public Land Tactics and Advice on General Approach?

Post by firedup »

Quota permits on FL public land is the best option. Its to late to apply now but get on their website and look for 2nd / 3rd chance quota permits. It will be a slim chance for spring 2019 but.... Apply next year for sure. Study the harvest data (its all at FWC online) for the best WMA's in your area. Understand what its telling you. Some are better than others success % wise. Some have more hunters, ect. The WMA's are managed specifically so 2 right next door to each other could be completely different as far as number hunters, bag limits, ect. DO YOUR HOMEWORK! All the info you need is online. USE IT. Open public land in FL does exist but it is hunted HARD. Did I say it is hunted HARD? But every year birds are killed on them and it could BE YOU! Any way you go it will be up to you to study and use the resources. That is the best thing you can possibly do to get a quality public land hunt in FL. Seriously, be the boyscout and be prepared.

The best way to get that first Osceloa is to use an outfitter for sure. Go in with a notepad and pay attention. What they do and what you see will help you in figuring out public land later. Or just find some private land. Tough to find, maybe $$$ but not impossible.
White0ak

Post by White0ak »

Thank you for the information!
ncturkey

Post by ncturkey »

Florida Public Land is hard. Lots of folks. I would research the WMA areas. Get you a good mountain bike. It will help you try and get away from the crowd. Scout places in the evening after work. Do you homework and you can do it. Good Luck.
Mike
Swampstalk

Post by Swampstalk »

WhiteOak,

Yep the quota application periods are over, but one can apply for "Reissues" that have been turned in for quota hunts on WMAs. If you have a FL hunting license you can apply each Saturday after Noon until the random draw after Tuesday Noon each week for any that are available until the hunt. Since you are "based" on the east coast you might try for Corbett, which had 29 birds taken last season, acknowledging that there is a lot of hunting pressure, and plenty of whoyahs raising hell in that area, it does hold a good number of birds and deer. A little north is Three Lakes WMA, which has 63 birds harvested last season. This is old ranch land with mixed open pasture and wooded areas. Further west Dinner Island had 27 birds taken, again former ranch land with good number of birds, deer. Fisheating Creek is a small WMA, along with a great campground, it had 29 total birds taken with regular, special opportunity, and youth hunts. Big Cypress National Preserve has some birds in the central and northern portions, access is somewhat of a challenge. Bear Island Unit has birds and a good camping situation, but need registered ORV to access trails.

Some WMAs have special opportunity hunts, and/or youth hunts, while most have just regular turkey season. Go to the FWC site under Hunting and find the license and permits section, then the limited access and quotas tab. As others have mentioned, research and plenty of scouting. One size doesn't fit all, bikes works some times, while others are better on foot. May have to burn some boot leather but it will pay off.

Good luck,
Don
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

Watch the first week of last year's Pinhoti Project...
joey46

Post by joey46 »

You are getting good advice. The quota system is the way to go but with the point preference system you are a ways off from drawing a good WMA. Luck in the re-draws or luck in the Special Opportunity Hunts (different rules) will be your fate for a few years. Several WMAs are wide open. The FWC web site has a whole section on where to hunt without a quota permit. Hunt them late in the season on weekdays and you may be surprised. Don't expect to hear much, if any, gobbling on an open WMA late in the season. A few do well at Big Cypress but that is a whole lot of work and requires long hikes in swamps etc. On the plus side it would be an easy drive from Boca R. Good luck.
Three Lakes 2007.jpg
Picture is me with my first Osceola. Taken in 2007 at the aforementioned Three Lakes WMA late in the season on a Tuesday. He never gobbled but did cluck several times. My Walker Game Ear was my friend on that hunt.

Return to “Gobbler Talk”